• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

The Ballad of Min-Maximus (how a power-gamer ruined Wild Talents)

Sabermane

Proud Fianna knight of hope and peace
Validated User
This is a board where (admittedly, some years back) I've seen people just lay into gamemasters for saying they wouldn't allow someone to play a mecha-suit pilot, ninja catgirl, or dragon-riding elf in an Old West game.
...ok fine I was wrong lay into the OP. JUST LET ME PLAY NENE THE CATKID WITH MY PEACEMECKHAR .45 LOOK DID YOU EVEN *READ* MY 18 PAGES OF BACKSTORY?!?!

Rangdo

I used to be Ovid.
Validated User
I'm really 'enjoying' this thread, despite the GMsplaining. Please keep it up! I need to know if Exploitii gets out from under the shadow of Min-Maximus to become a good (or at least functional) player!

Willy Elektrix

Validated User
Another problem with systems with disadvantages: so many disadvantages don't really disadvantage the character at all. In Shadowrun 2e, there was a disadvantage where the character couldn't get cyberware. Magic-users were already heavily penalized for getting cyberware, so this disadvantage was a no-brainer. I think the point value was lower for magic-users, but it shouldn't have been worth any points at all.

I'm currently GMing the Sailor Moon RPG. One of the disadvantages in that is "Recurring Dreams". Come on! That's not worth any points!

Rangdo

I used to be Ovid.
Validated User
Another problem with systems with disadvantages: so many disadvantages don't really disadvantage the character at all.
Yep. In my days playing GURPS 3e, every character had the Overconfident 'Disadvantage', since it was basically fulfilled by doing anything PCs normally do in a scenario.

loconius

Validated User
It’s kinda interesting! Does the OP still play with this player? I have to admit I would have ghosted this guy personally, but i may not have the OPs patience!

Atlictoatl

Powered by the Apocryphal
Validated User
Well, what's going on is that you're the second poster to basically GMsplain to OP what he did wrong and how he should have done things, which I think (and filling a page or two of this thread doing it) OP is pretty much aware of, and so is more or less everyone who read the thread, so yeah. I mean, my impression of this thread is that it's about funny gaming stories, not a serious post mortem analysis of Mailer's GMing chops.
It's actually in the title of the thread. A ballad is a story. This is an amusing, anecdotal story about a character. Maybe, at the end of the story, the OP will tell us all what he learned as a result of going through the experiences of the tale. That would fit with the structure of this kind of storytelling. But we may never know, because the story keeps being interrupted by people who think it's their prerogative to school the storyteller on how they have it all wrong.

Note to people inclined to do that: If you really, absolutely, must engage in a discussion in this thread about how to handle min/maxers, please for the love of god first ask what the OP learned from this experience, and how they handle similar characters and players now. Or, you know, re-read the thread, because they do explain this. Multiple times.

Coming in and challenging the OP as a know-it-all telling them what they did wrong is incredibly rude. This is a story thread about an incident in the past. It's not a request for assistance in solving an ongoing problem.

Darrin Kelley

Validated User
Interesting. I wonder how frequently Fate or other narrative systems are chosen to avoid min-maxing. Or by min-maxers who want to curb their min-maxing ways?
I'm not a min-maxer. I find games that encourage stuff like that to be exhausting to deal with.

Fate rewards focus on story. Which is more of what I want out of an RPG. I want the story element to be more of a driver in the process. Which Fate does very well.

I'm an older gamer. I cut my teeth on games that were very overwhelmingly wargame focused. And honestly? I found myself dis-satisfied with my gaming experiences more often than not because of it.

Lee Casebolt

SUCH a BOY
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It's a bigger problem than that.

Min-Maximus was trying to make the whole game to be a one man show. Where the rest of the group of players and characters are utterly irrelevant.

Players of that particular mindset have always been a problem in superhero gaming. Regardless of whatever system was used. Because the vast majority of superhero campaigns are team based. If you have a player who refuses to cooperate with that paradigm, you end up with a major problem at a foundational level.

Moderator Text:

Making it a one man show is, ironically, why I'm kicking you from this thread. Do not post in it again. And if anyone else is thinking about jumping in "just to be a contrarian" or "play Devil's Advocate" or anything similar, piece of advice - don't.

Private Eye

Private Eye
Validated User
I don't post very often, but I have played many SH games including Wild Talents (which can be a bit unforgiving sometimes) and I just wanted to say how much I am enjoying reading this thread! Keep up the good work!

Top Bottom