• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

The Black Widow excitement thread

Croquemitaine

Validated User
I'd be less concerned about "cheapening Natasha's death" in Endgame if I didn't feel like her death was pretty cheap to begin with. That entire sequence fell flat for me. The more I think about it, the more I believe they dropped the ball by not coming up with some way for Natasha and Clint to acquire the soul stone without one of them dying. Rather than feeling like a copout, it could have been played as yet another layer pulled from Thanos' illusion of mastery. The revelation that another way was possible after Thanos didn't even consider not sacrificing Gamora would retroactively make him look like more of a chump.

Plus Natasha could have been a useful character going forward as a leadership figure, taking some of Fury's place. This kind of role for her was even set up in Endgame.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this movie and if they bring Natasha back to life at the end, I will cheer. If they don't, we'll at least have a Black Widow movie to enjoy.

Gentleman Ranker

Validated User
I'm very underwhelmed by phase 4 in general and overall it feels like a potential stepping off point from following the whole Marvel movie path. That said, the Black Widow movie is one that I'm actually really enthusiastic about.
I don't want to see an origin movie. Between the hints and snippets we've had, I think there's enough info out there to intrigue without spoiling the mystery.
For the big bad I'd use Michael Caine as a retired head of the British Secret Intelligence Service, Harold Palmer, an old friend.
I'm looking for a straightforward antagonists with respect relationship with Taskmaster. The old Mentor gone bad schtick would be cliched and tired.
I'm excited about the prospect of another 70s Spy flick a la Winter Soldier. Winter Soldier was Three Days of the Condor for Superheroes. If I had to pick a plot for this one myself, I'd steal it from No Way Out.
But I think I'd make it a buddy movie. Thelma and Louise style. And I wouldn't set up the other woman as a replacement Widow. Let the name have an honourable retirement. No, I'd make the other buddy Jessica Drew and set up an empowering incident during this movie. That way we get a new, powered, female character.
Whilst I'm wishing, the empowering incident is courtesy of Bill Foster.
Whilst they're in New York on the run, the Baxter building is in the background of one shot. Don't tell anyone. Just leave it for us nerds to discover.

GR

Hunter

Validated User
My prediction for this movie is that it will end with Natasha coming back to life. I’m pretty sure of that. I’m less sure but still suspect that at least a good portion of the story will turn out to take place inside the Soul Stone or inside Natasha’s mind or both.

The reasons I think she’s coming back break down to three:
  1. Hers was one of the most comic book deaths I’ve ever seen, right down to “No, seriously, there’s absolutely no way to ever bring her back! Can’t be done!”
  2. They gave her death very short shrift in the movie, especially compared to Tony’s. I’d like to think it was intentional because they knew the death wasn’t going to stick.
  3. I’m frankly much less interested in this movie if it’s about the past life of a character who’s already dead. I don’t know how common that sentiment is, but I know I’m not the only one.
Plus, 4. Constantly putting her to the back of the line for her own movie for almost an entire decade and then, when it looks like her fans will finally get to see their fave character carry a movie trilogy of her own, only to say the movie doesn't matter because the main character is dead is a completely DICK MOVE.

Taraqual

Words words words
Validated User
Plus, 4. Constantly putting her to the back of the line for her own movie for almost an entire decade and then, when it looks like her fans will finally get to see their fave character carry a movie trilogy of her own, only to say the movie doesn't matter because the main character is dead is a completely DICK MOVE.
Marvel Studios is certainly capable of dick moves, but I'm not sure how big a dick move they'll make with this movie. But I don't know if we have any idea what ScarJo actually wants her career to look like after this movie comes out. Maybe she'll be ready to hang up the bodysuit, or maybe she'll insist on being one of the big names in Phase 4. If the movie makes like $600 or $700 million, I bet she'll get a lot of she wants from Marvel, whichever way she jumps.

PeterM

Validated User
My worry is that the feel that the movie doesn’t matter will depress ticket sales, leading everyone who insisted Black Widow couldn’t carry a movie to say they were right. Not to mention if it only makes half a billion dollars half the world will say it’s a failure.

Taraqual

Words words words
Validated User
My worry is that the feel that the movie doesn’t matter will depress ticket sales, leading everyone who insisted Black Widow couldn’t carry a movie to say they were right. Not to mention if it only makes half a billion dollars half the world will say it’s a failure.
I mean, maybe? But the worst-selling Marvel movie of the current era was actually Captain America: The First Avenger, at $176 million domestic ($370 million worldwide), and no one thinks it was a failure. If Black Widow turns out to be mid-range for a Marvel movie, it will still bring in probably $500 million worldwide and I don't know many studios who consider that a failure. Ant-Man got a second movie with about that much in sales.

Top Bottom