• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

The Boys - new superhero show from Amazon

Gogmagog

Validated User
Going on the whole thing of 'Hard men in trenchcoats making hard choices while hard' that has cropped up, especially with Boys/Ennis Punisher is how it wants to have things both ways, Frank is a shattered husk of what he was but still a manly man that women throw themselves at and want his babies(And then die so he doesn't have to pay support/quit his quest). Disposing of that is needed I believe by say Frank just not indulging when someone yanks their pants off. (I feel it, but so little I just use my hand)

Tambourine

Spirit Princess
Validated User
Conveniently, Hughie's flashbacks to his dead girlfriend always happen at the exact moment when Starlight is trying to talk to him about her own problems. Their serious talks consist of him literally zoning out until his own problems start coming back into the focus of the conversation.

If his man pain wasn't delivered in this cringingly self-serious way I'd argue that he was a brilliant sendup of the classic everyman protagonist with a dead girlfriend.

Eric the .5b

It's all so esoteric
Validated User
While it has classic “hero origin in tragic murdered woman” trope with all the weight that brings - one of the forgotten aspects of Simone’s original critique was about women who had narratives which were suddenly disposed of in service of a man’s. That’s less of an issue with an “origin story” death.
In some quarters, "fridging" gets applied to any supporting character who dies, as if the essential sin is any character's death motivating another. I've seen Uncle Ben listed as a "fridged' character, presumably by people who never read the essay.

The Scribbler

A Flash of Hope
Validated User
Conveniently, Hughie's flashbacks to his dead girlfriend always happen at the exact moment when Starlight is trying to talk to him about her own problems. Their serious talks consist of him literally zoning out until his own problems start coming back into the focus of the conversation.

If his man pain wasn't delivered in this cringingly self-serious way I'd argue that he was a brilliant sendup of the classic everyman protagonist with a dead girlfriend.
Huh! That's a really good angle on it.

I always read that as whenever he slipped into thinking/feeling/acting like he was in a real relationship with Starlight, when things "get real"--so to speak--and go beyond fun friendliness or light flirting, that his guilt would manifest.

But you make a good point about the use, here.

pesterfield

Validated User
I too saw it as guilt whenever being with Starlight started to feel like a relationship.

So Homelander was making super villains all on his own, I expected it would be part of the Vought plan.

Max Deltree

Bad Motherfrakker
Validated User
Going on the whole thing of 'Hard men in trenchcoats making hard choices while hard' that has cropped up, especially with Boys/Ennis Punisher is how it wants to have things both ways, Frank is a shattered husk of what he was but still a manly man that women throw themselves at and want his babies(And then die so he doesn't have to pay support/quit his quest). Disposing of that is needed I believe by say Frank just not indulging when someone yanks their pants off. (I feel it, but so little I just use my hand)
I've never read this way about Ennis' Frank Castle. He always felt pretty assexual in his comics. The only time he is interested in someone is Elektra, but we don't see if it goes somewhere. I might be misremembering, sure, but I don't think there were women throwing themselves at him. He always felt too cold for this, even past the "cool hard men" Ennis usually does. Just a shell, a husk like you said.

Butcher in the comics start pretty much like this, though. He even fucks a couple important characters, and is cocky all the time.

Gogmagog

Validated User
I've never read this way about Ennis' Frank Castle. He always felt pretty assexual in his comics. The only time he is interested in someone is Elektra, but we don't see if it goes somewhere. I might be misremembering, sure, but I don't think there were women throwing themselves at him. He always felt too cold for this, even past the "cool hard men" Ennis usually does. Just a shell, a husk like you said.

Butcher in the comics start pretty much like this, though. He even fucks a couple important characters, and is cocky all the time.
Ennis' run had him making time with a character from Hitman who got pregnant and left their daughter with a sister before heading off to the middle-east. Got her legs blown off by a mine that Frank of course didn't step on and bled out.
Widowmaker had one tie him down and rape him(Then blow her brains out)

Max Deltree

Bad Motherfrakker
Validated User
Ennis' run had him making time with a character from Hitman who got pregnant and left their daughter with a sister before heading off to the middle-east. Got her legs blown off by a mine that Frank of course didn't step on and bled out.
Widowmaker had one tie him down and rape him(Then blow her brains out)
Fair enough. And the Hitman-expy was a big character in that run too, for me to forget her.

Burgonet

Retired user
Validated User
I did finish the series.
Overall, I really like this.

It is a very dark piece, one that says "the party that was America, supers or not, is over".
And that's okay as a message.
But that probably hit home a lot more to folks watching who don't see America as a semi-fictional narrative as I do from half-a-world-away in Australia.

I also just got through two seasons of The Tick on Amazon Prime as well.
Series 1 of that was great, 2 was not so good.
Overall it hit similar themes but where the Boys cries into its beer, The Tick sings like a drunken scholar and is proud of its pyjamas.

Which is a nice way to say that if you want something upbeat; go watch The Tick.
The Boys is all nihilism, curses and tears with a sardonic laugh as it gives into a fatalistic worldview.
Spoiler: Show
And I want that Nightboat theme song.

Zehnseiter

Validated User
I have watched Epsiode 4 yesterday and I needed a literal 10 minute laugh break. I was sitting there and was giggling like a deranged lunatic to something total inappropriate.

That doesn't happen very often too me. So well done series well done. So far I have far more fun with this then I expected.

Last edited:
Top Bottom