• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

The Boys - new superhero show from Amazon

petros

Validated User
I think Butcher probably saved Hughie's life when Translucent attacked him. I don't really think that makes Butcher a "hero", though.
Butcher was saving his own life. Chances would be good that Translucent would get something on Butcher from Hughie, even if Hughie didn't say anything. Homelander would know who was gunning for him much sooner, and Hughie might not survive the interrogation. Butcher would have known this when he decided to ram the store. The whole game was about not letting Homelander get wind of it, Hughie was, at that time, a loose end. I'm sure Butcher liked the kid when he saw him rip up the forty grand, but if he wasn't a loose end, I don't think Butcher would have gone back for him.

During the actual fight, Hughie saved Butcher, and not by luck. He knew about the carbon meta-material, he knew about conductivity, he saw loose wires, he went to the back of the store to switch back on the power, and then used those wires to fry Translucent. Quick thinking, bold action, he saved Butcher's life and his own.

Why is Hughie so good at this?!?! The kid's a natural!

atavist5

Validated User
I thought the electrocution thing was done well, he mentions that in the beginning of the episode when he's trying to sell an HDMI cable or something, 'Let's go with this one. Uh, it costs a little but more but the carbon's way more conductive.' It instantly made me suspicious of him, knowing they changed the characters I was thinking Hughie was an evil to the core bilker of innocent customers, though the rest of the first episode really helped. I don't remember if comic Hughie had a good (or any) relationship with his dad but Pegg as his dad, and his lines, just brutally stark.

As for the whole problem solving, they really beat around the bush when it gets to the rest of Translucent, too, sort of like cops tracking crime scene locations on a map and waiting for Hughie to notice that they're forming an arrow pointing at another location.

nexus

Validated User
I'm on the 2nd episode and I find I enjoy it more than I thought. Its helps to think in terms of antagonist/protagonists and I still mentally rewrite the world so there are more Starlight like supers around, the 7 are just some of the famous (and corrupt). To fair the show does touch on some likely issues if there were superhumans in the actual world and does so in an entertaining way. Hughie might be the audience insert character but I've enjoyed him in that role so far.

In some quarters, "fridging" gets applied to any supporting character who dies, as if the essential sin is any character's death motivating another. I've seen Uncle Ben listed as a "fridged' character, presumably by people who never read the essay.
Fridging seems to be a real hot button for some folks and they react strongly to anything that hints of it. Actually I'm not entirely sure what exactly warrants the label. I

Mr Teufel

Dashing
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I was thinking his Kiwi accent was mixing with a failed cockney to give a strangled Australian.
Yeah, I'm an Aussie, and I thought it wasn't the worst "Steve Irwin" I'd ever heard.
As a New Zealander, Urban’s accent in this comes across as “Kiwi who spent a while in the UK”.
Huh.
I think Robin the character exists as part of the show's examination of the whole concept of fridging itself and the use of dead women to motivate angry men.

Spoiler: Show
Hell... look at how it ends. Huey declines to take effective revenge on the supe who killed his girlfriend, while Butcher goes to monstrous lengths to take innefectual revenge on the supe who turns out *not* to have assaulted or killed his wife. it's a critique that works on a couple of levels, breaking down the metatextual fictional concept of fridging and revenge narratives and also breaking down an aspect of toxic masculinity that promotes violence in response to emotional pain and loss and the parts of toxic masculinity that makes rage-fueled revenge stories themselves attractive. it's a pretty solid drubbing for fridging and manpain murderfantasy.
It's a nice deconstruction of Butcher's own sexual issues if it was just consensual sex. Butcher has to assume his wife was raped and murdered because the idea of her cheating on him voluntarily and leaving him because he's a basket case is something he can't accept--assuming that's where they're going with it.
I think the theme of toxic masculinity is one the series has focussed on well. Far better than Ennis could have.

nexus

Validated User
Vought doesn't seem to be very good coming with names for Super. Homelander is ok, if a little on the nose, but "A-Train is decent. The Deep", Translucent (That doesn't mean see through!), Black Noir (Black Black?) :)

Just goofing a bit not really complaining, I get its a satire drawn from a satire by a writer that feel superheroes are dumb :)

Last edited:

Kuildeous

Validated User
Yeah, the Deep is a really weird name. Or at least it is to me. I like Translucent, though as Butcher pointed out, it's completely inaccurate.

I chuckle every time I hear Black Noir though. That name belongs on the Tick.

Top Bottom