• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

The Boys - new superhero show from Amazon

petros

Validated User
Holy heck. Theory - the Homelander's security blanket is something that Butcher can destroy to hurt Homelander. We saw that they got footage of him reacting to it, and Butcher can get that footage and could figure it out. What would HL do if he saw that thing getting burned? Go full Plutonian?

Dave999

Validated User
My main issue with this series is the same I have with the source material. It has these Supers be in a world where there's really no need for them so we can see them be asshats and nothing else. If there really were alien invasions or demon gods or real supervillains running around doing stuff the normal cops and armies couldn't handle and the Supers could, this sort of story wouldn't work.
I think that Starlight states how it SHOULD work. I.e. that superheroes aren't NECESSARY but they should make things BETTER.

Obviously, they don't, but that's on VA.

Anwar2

Validated User
I think that Starlight states how it SHOULD work. I.e. that superheroes aren't NECESSARY but they should make things BETTER.

Obviously, they don't, but that's on VA.
But this is an issue with Ennis' core premise for this series. He keeps writing about how Superheroes are bad and how normals are good, but then he goes and makes The Boys all get super-serum powerups so they can fight Supers on their level. IE, he makes them superheroes!

And he never bothers to have Supervillains or Alien Invaders or Demons around who the normals can't fight off. He always half-asses things and never puts any nuance into his work.

This show fixes a lot of the problems with the source material, the biggest ones being that the Boys are superpowered and the Supers actually fight crime instead of doing nothing.

Dave999

Validated User
But this is an issue with Ennis' core premise for this series. He keeps writing about how Superheroes are bad and how normals are good, but then he goes and makes The Boys all get super-serum powerups so they can fight Supers on their level. IE, he makes them superheroes!

And he never bothers to have Supervillains or Alien Invaders or Demons around who the normals can't fight off. He always half-asses things and never puts any nuance into his work.

This show fixes a lot of the problems with the source material, the biggest ones being that the Boys are superpowered and the Supers actually fight crime instead of doing nothing.
That's a general problem with Ennis in that he's not interested in nuance and the show has improved on them considerably, including the core themes. I agree.

Mind you, that description above does miss a point.

Spoiler: Show
Which is, specifically, Billy Butcher is insane. In both the comics and probably the show, Butcher is utterly fucking nuts and I mean that in the non-abelist Captain Ahab/Khan Noonian Singh sense.

He is rascist as fuck against superheroes and as Starlight as well as the Boys themselves show--it was never powers but capitalism that was the evil.

Gogmagog

Validated User
That's a general problem with Ennis in that he's not interested in nuance and the show has improved on them considerably, including the core themes. I agree.

Which is, specifically, Billy Butcher is insane. In both the comics and probably the show, Butcher is utterly fucking nuts and I mean that in the non-abelist Captain Ahab/Khan Noonian Singh sense.

He is rascist as fuck against superheroes and as Starlight as well as the Boys themselves show--it was never powers but capitalism that was the evil.
I think he has been described as a high functioning psychopath and even tried to make things so his team never found out about his plan. Not just because they would try to stop him, but so he wouldn't have to kill them personally. He also didn't kill MM's mother "Because she is your mother!" Good mothers are certainly a thing about him since his own mother suffered so much from his monster father. Saving Hughie at the end was something he didn't have to do but did even though it doomed him.

Anwar2

Validated User

Ennis unbound is not a pretty sight, nor a terribly coherent one either. Man needs editors to produce truly good content.

And the art in the original comic wasn't that good either.

Top Bottom