• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

The Burning Wheel: Gold Edition Revised

Toa

Freilanzer
Validated User
So, it seems there's a new-new edition of Burning Wheel coming out. I kinda put off picking up Gold Edition after never getting around to play (regular) Revised Edition, but maybe Gold Revised brings something to the table that makes it worth my while?

My main issue with it, the few times I had a chance to test it, was the cumbersome combat mechanics that really don't do "party vs. party" well. Is Torchbearer different in this regard?

Epicurean DM

Validated User
Torchbearer is very different. It's almost always "party vs. party" rather than single-combat. Torchbearer puts tremendous emphasis on the PCs working together as a group whenever they can. Conflicts (Torchbearer's term for a things like fights, negotiations, or chases) give the characters one communal pool of "hit points" to represent the party's fortunes during the battle (like the Body of Argument in Burning Wheel Gold's Duel of Wits, but it represents the entire party). During each phase of a Conflict, the players use a simplified scripting system to describe the entire party's actions. One PC takes the lead and the other players describe how they're assisting the leader, which grants the leader bonus dice to roll against the opposition. If you're looking for a Burning Wheel-style fantasy RPG experience that emphasizes a group dynamic, Torchbearer's what you want. :)

AJ the Ronin

I am Loki
Validated User
Burning Wheel Gold Revised just add errata and change some minimal things (for example Manish lifepaths are now called Human lifepaths). The biggest change was on Grief I think (and I may be wrong on that, don't have my book or notes nearby).

Knaight

Validated User
Torchbearer is a lot closer to Mouseguard than Burning Wheel. It's simpler, it does Party vs. Party by default, and it generally resolves your issue with BW. It might introduce new issues, I don't know.

Derrick Kapchinsky

Validated User
Burning Wheel Gold Revised just add errata and change some minimal things (for example Manish lifepaths are now called Human lifepaths). The biggest change was on Grief I think (and I may be wrong on that, don't have my book or notes nearby).
There's also a big thing at the beginning of the Traits chapter about creating new Traits. But, yeah, that and Grief are the only changes that are noticeable without doing a side-by-side comparison.

eggdropsoap

Cosmic Egg
Validated User
The main point of Gold Revised is that Gold went out of print due to printer issues, and they wanted to take the opportunity to add the past 8 years of errata and tweaks before getting it back in print, and at that point might as well flag it as a new edition.

So, it seems there's a new-new edition of Burning Wheel coming out. I kinda put off picking up Gold Edition after never getting around to play (regular) Revised Edition, but maybe Gold Revised brings something to the table that makes it worth my while?

My main issue with it, the few times I had a chance to test it, was the cumbersome combat mechanics that really don't do "party vs. party" well. Is Torchbearer different in this regard?
Gold itself made small but significant changes to Fight that made it operate smoother in general and specifically for multiple combatants. These improvements are in Gold Revised too, along with improvements to Range & Cover.

The usual caveat applies though: Fight shouldn’t be looked at as “the combat system”, since that’s not its role in the rules. The normal combat system is single rolls with normal Task & Intent, and Fight is only there for when a particular combat deserves a big splashy close-up camera sequence. It’s clunky if used for less important conflicts, or when the normal Task & Intent isn’t yet second nature to the group.

Top Bottom