• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

The Expanse RPG - anyone played it yet?

Molotov

Validated User
I worry that the stunt system may a bit much for new players to absorb, so I hope to spend a few sessions just toying with that. Since the Churn mechanism has a bunch of arbitrary triggers, I also worry it will be a hassle to track. That is as far as I'll probably go; I'm not sure the stuff like honorifics or memberships are going to be worth my time.
I've had a few sets of the stunt charts at the table. Overwhelming folks with them is definitely a concern. It might help to focus on the "core" stunts; I've also considered having a few "favorite" stunts for each pregen, based on their area of expertise.

For the Churn, I kept a copy of the chart from the GM Kit on the table. My players were very interested in it, so kept reminding me of things that triggered it. Using the chart as a playmat of sorts on the table definitely helped.

I am feeling a bit constrained by canon. I think I'm going to have to make a bunch of stuff up that doesn't exist in canon to go beyond what's in the first few novels or seasons. Secret projects by protogen, of by Mars, or whoever.
No matter how much I love the canon of any setting, I'm a non-canonical GM, so I hear you. For one of my two games, I set it before the events of Leviathan Wakes and the Canterbury incident to avoid any spoilers for the couple that hadn't checked out any of the books or show. For my other group, we're at the point of the RPG launch, so between the first two books. My Players get that I'm likely to go elsewhere from here, and on board with it.

Molotov

Validated User
I can't say anything - my "Property of the Martian Congressional Republic Navy" t shirt for GMing arrived the other day. :)

Top Bottom