• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

The Expanse RPG - anyone played it yet?

vinush

RPG Vigilante
Validated User
I’ve run 4 session now, the quick start and 3 of the 5 parts of my story campaign I have in mind, and so far my players are really liking it. We have a mixture of setting knowledge in the group. 2 players have no knowledge, one has seen the first season of the show and the other has seen all episodes of the show. Each of my players are invested in it.

The AGE system is great, and while there are a vast amount of stunts they add to the action and drama of the story. Players rapidly find their own favourites, and the almost become signature moves for the characters.

Molotov

Validated User
I’ve run 4 session now, the quick start and 3 of the 5 parts of my story campaign I have in mind, and so far my players are really liking it. We have a mixture of setting knowledge in the group. 2 players have no knowledge, one has seen the first season of the show and the other has seen all episodes of the show. Each of my players are invested in it.

The AGE system is great, and while there are a vast amount of stunts they add to the action and drama of the story. Players rapidly find their own favourites, and the almost become signature moves for the characters.
Nice to hear. I've gotten a couple more sessions booked at the local game store.

Molotov

Validated User
Tonight's game went really well. One player had played Fantasy AGE a while back; the other was fairly new to AGE but had read it a little bit. Full set of stunt sheets and pregens. Both players said they had a great time and signed up for the next session (which should have about 4-5 players, if I'm lucky - possibly more).

Game play was really smooth, and a nice assortment of stunts got played, including investigation and social. Players commented about the options to have stunts and extended play in a variety of areas, instead of combat heavy as the main / only option.

Tonight's session was The Ganymede Insurance Job, from the GM Kit. I added a player map with some quick photoshopishness (there's a nice GM map included for a key scene, but has some secret stuffs on it), and google-fu'd a few portraits for key NPCs. Second time running the adventure for me.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Validated User
Awesome, M Molotov . Thanks for the input. I'm really looking forward to running The Ganymede Insurance Job at a local Game Shop sometime in the very near future. Any tips or suggestions?

Sangrolu

Social Justice Ninja
Validated User
I prepped my game and ran a session zero for Chargen. Two of the 4 characters were rip-offs of Badger and Saffron from Firefly, leading me to consider again if I am running the wrong game.

Anyways, my mental image is running this as a space horror game. I established, like the crew of the Rocinante, they were all members of the same crew but are no longer on that ship. To up the drama and give them a shared goal, I decided that the captain of their freelance ship decided to "get out of the business" after Eros went down, and left the ship to the crew, but a crewmate took off with the ship they all had equal rights to, and now they are pursuing him to the outer planets.

During my prep and planning the course they might take, I notice that the travel distances table (pg 117) is not true to life. The distances appear to be differences between orbital radii, i.e. minimum distance. It turns out that if you are talking average distance, the shortest average distance to any other planet is always mercury! See: https://physicstoday.scitation.org/do/10.1063/PT.6.3.20190312a/full/

There's even a nice little table there you can nab if you feel like using more realistic values! (Notice that the values on that page for the "old method" are very close to the table on pg 117 or The Expanse rulebook.)

Molotov

Validated User
I prepped my game and ran a session zero for Chargen. Two of the 4 characters were rip-offs of Badger and Saffron from Firefly, leading me to consider again if I am running the wrong game.

Anyways, my mental image is running this as a space horror game. I established, like the crew of the Rocinante, they were all members of the same crew but are no longer on that ship. To up the drama and give them a shared goal, I decided that the captain of their freelance ship decided to "get out of the business" after Eros went down, and left the ship to the crew, but a crewmate took off with the ship they all had equal rights to, and now they are pursuing him to the outer planets.
Nice! Sounds like it's off to a great start.

Gee4orce

Validated User
The fact that Mercury is on average the closest planet to all the other planets is a bit of a statistical quirk. If you want accurate distances between solar system bodies then that's easy enough to find if you know the date.

darktalon

Merchant of Chaos
Validated User
The fact that Mercury is on average the closest planet to all the other planets is a bit of a statistical quirk. If you want accurate distances between solar system bodies then that's easy enough to find if you know the date.
And you need a lot more delta-v to get to Mercury because it moves so much faster than the other planets (which is why Messenger took a circuitous trajectory with multiple gravity assists at Earth, Venus and Mercury itself to slow down enough) but of course that's less of an issue with an Epstein drive.

Franigo

Love the books, show and kickstarted the RPG. I only ran one rather spontaneous session with a custom-made adventure for friends. I have played Dragon Age before, and even adapted the rules to a Mad Max setting before the advent of the AGE systems, so I am pretty confident when it comes to the rules. The session went well, we had fun, the rules supported the game and were not in the way. The book (I only own the digital version) looks good, reads good and I like it.

We decided to just roll the characters using the tables, and the results were hilarious. A troupe of very poor sportsmen and -women, manual laborers and underworld types led by a very rich guy with extremely low scores ... the adventure required them, ahem, taking possession of a ship to escape a doomed station (a little homage on my part), and they were woefully under equipped, with little to no combat skills and no pilot ... still they managed to escape certain death.

Top Bottom