• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

The Expanse RPG - anyone played it yet?

SibKhatru

Validated User
I am quite liking the rules and everything else, too. The new review here at rpg.net really slams it. I mean, it's always an opinion, right, but I am finding exactly the opposite result when I look at my book. Oh well.

Wickus

Mirthless Gummy Bear
Validated User
I am quite liking the rules and everything else, too. The new review here at rpg.net really slams it. I mean, it's always an opinion, right, but I am finding exactly the opposite result when I look at my book. Oh well.
My experience mirrors yours. Love the book and the system is fantastic with the setting. Can't wait for my current AGE game to come to an end so I can run this.

Gee4orce

Validated User
That RPG.net review seems a bit axe-grinding, but it does raise some legit concerns and questions. It does seem as if the book would have benefitted from another editing pass. My particular problems I mentioned already - the ships are very lightly statted, and there's a no mechanical support for cybernetic and bionic enhancements, which are present in the novels.

However, I don't really buy the argument about not enough setting material - there's how many thousands of pages of material published in the novels, and three series of the TV show to draw on.

As for the issue of a massive list of stunts to choose from, I like the idea of introducing them slowly. Someone mentioned that players latch on to a favourite stunt that becomes almost like a PCs signature stunt. You could formalise that even, allowing players to write down a specific stunt on their character sheet every level, a bit like feats or talents in other systems. Some of the stunts would have to be generic 'everybody can do it' ones though - perhaps put those onto a quick reference sheet for the whole table to refer to.

Robert A. Rodger

Aspiring Kermit
Validated User
I acknowledge I'm very unlikely to buy this as I've fallen out of actually playing RPGs for some time. But as a fan of the setting... are there rules about different gravity effects? Gravity a g's in thrust are such a part of the books and even show I would hope they'd show up well in the rules.

Sangrolu

Social Justice Ninja
Validated User
I acknowledge I'm very unlikely to buy this as I've fallen out of actually playing RPGs for some time. But as a fan of the setting... are there rules about different gravity effects? Gravity a g's in thrust are such a part of the books and even show I would hope they'd show up well in the rules.
There's not a lot of rules for handling different surface gravity etc., but there is a fairly detailed rule for handling the effects of high g maneuvers on crew and the effects of juice.

Sangrolu

Social Justice Ninja
Validated User
My first adventure for The Expanse kicks off tonight. I wonder how my players will take it when they discover this session will be more to the tune of a SF crisis film like The Martian than the space action fare they might expect.

Molotov

Validated User
My first adventure for The Expanse kicks off tonight. I wonder how my players will take it when they discover this session will be more to the tune of a SF crisis film like The Martian than the space action fare they might expect.
I bet they'll love it. If not, in space, no one can hear them scream ... ;)

JonA

Semi-retired Mod
RPGnet Member
Well since in one of the recent novels (Babylon’s Ashes) the Free Navy commandeer a Martian colony ship called the Mark Watney you’re in the same universe. It’s not official but The Expanse authors and Andy Weir met at a convention and as they were fans of each other’s work Weir said he would be honoured for them to include a call out to The Martian in the next Expanse novel.

JonA

Semi-retired Mod
RPGnet Member
Btw if anyone wants background music for their games then the soundtracks for seasons 2 and 3 were released today on all good music streaming platforms. Season 1 has been out for some time. I think the season 3 soundtrack is the best of the three but they’re all good. In fact the music for the series as a whole is one the production highlights for me.

Sangrolu

Social Justice Ninja
Validated User
First adventure (in two sessions) under my belt. I'm relatively new to AGE (well, I owned the original Dragon Age and Modern Age, but never played them), so I have a few impressions about AGE in general and The Expanse in particular:

1) Income worries me. It seems like the way income works, they would invariably get +1 income (or more) per level, and the depletion rules allow them to get income back easily. I worry that my mid-late levels they will all be effective billionaires.
2) Churn ratchets up quicker than I expected. It's not super problematic to track, but still seems a little fussy to deal with.
3) The game provides for mapped combats, but there's a dearth of realistic-seeming deckplans out there for "no artificial gravity" settings like The Expanse.
4) The players had fun and are starting to get the stunt system (which is the real selling point of the system).
5) The advanced test mechanics seem to be a functional way to handle non-combat challenges (which this adventure was lousy with).
6) Character generation went fairly smoothly. I used random rolling (I'm old school that way), but put upper and lower limits on ability totals to prevent a wide disparity in PC power. I let them pick stuff like Origin and Background if they wanted, but some players rolled just to see what they came up with, and they managed to get a little extra background mileage out of the random details.
7) A few editorial issues. For example, the stunt lists have a "core" notation, but the books don't say what that means. Fortunately, I had Modern Age and understood that meant "a good default option"
8) on the flipside, I did notice a few improvements over Modern Age. Frex, the adrenaline rush stunt is less fidgety to use.

Last edited:
Top Bottom