• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

OOC The Fall of DELTA GREEN: Is Paris Burning?

Motorskills

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I am not that guy but I would dearly love to play in a game of FoDG, I am hoping to run a PbP game here but don't feel 100% with the system yet. I do get Gumshoe systems and have played and run in Trail of Cthulhu games.
Welcome Danny!

For the record, I'm terrible with the rules, but it hasn't been an issue at all
(I either clarify in advance via the OOC thread, or I get yelled at via OOC comment in the IC thread... :D )

I thoroughly recommend investing in a copy of FoDG on its own merits, but it's probably not critical to own it to play this PBP, especially if you are familiar with GUMSHOE.

Paul is very solid on the rules and there are knowledgeable people elsewhere on RPGnet on the odd occasion when even he has a question.

Character creation is the biggest initial thing that owning FoDG would be good for, but creation can be done for free via the Black Book website.
(N.B. The Black Book generated a couple of errors when I used it, but it gets you 95% of the way there, and we can help you connect as necessary from there).

Paul, my PM outreach was politely declined, so we are ready on that front.

Regular Guy

"Lemme make a call."
Validated User
If I were to play another FoDG game, it would absolutely be with Paul running the reins. Very insightful, and even the slight 'nudge' in the right direction was very helpful. To be honest, I was quite flustered twice and both M Motorskills and pstjmack pstjmack came to the rescue.

My issue was when to roll vs when to spend points vs what points went into/ came from the pool. But Paul explained everything.

So. On to Indochina? ;)

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
Here is a first draft, feedback gladly received, especially regarding where to invest those points. The points don't seem to go as far in FoDG as in ToC unless I'm doing something wrong using a new ruleset and the Black Book website.

Simon Cruickshanks

Motivation: Altruism (Brotherhood of Man and all that)
Military Service:Intelligence Officer, Soldier
Department: MI6, using CIA Directorate of Plans
Military Rank: 1st Lieutenant/Lieutenant JG
Revelation: None

Stats:
HEALTH 8
STABILITY 4
Hit Threshold 3
Investigative Build Points 0 / 20
General Build Points 0 / 65

Bonds
Professor Gemellus, back in Oxford 2
Manon, his girl in Paris 2
Wife and kids back in London 2

Abilities
Academic

Accounting 0
Anthropology 0
Archaeology 0
Astronomy 0
Biology 0
Criminology 0
Foreign Language 1: French
History 0
HUMINT 3
Law 0
Library Use 0
Medicine 0
Military Science 2
Occult 0
The Unnatural 0

Interpersonal
Agency 3
Assess Honesty 1
Cop Talk 0
Flattery 1
Inspiration 1
Interrogation 1
Intimidation 1
Negotiation 0
Reassurance 1
Streetwise 0
Tradecraft 2
Technical
Architecture 0
Art 0
Chemistry 0
Cryptography 1
Data Retrieval 0
Forensics 0 Fringe Science 0
Notice 1
Pharmacy 0
Photography 0
Physics 0
SIGINT 0
Survival 2
Traffic Analysis 1

General
Athletics 7
Bureaucracy 4
Conceal 0
Demolitions 1
Disguise 2
Drive 2
Filch 1
Firearms 7
First Aid 2
Health 8
Heavy Weapons 0
Mechanics 0
Melee Weapons 3
Network 10
Pilot 0
Preparedness 4
Psychotherapy 1
Ride 0
Sanity 8
Sense Trouble 8
Stability 8
Stealth 3
Unarmed Combat 7

Simon is a young fresh face in MI6, joining the military in the aftermath of WWII to oversee denazification and the beginnings of the Cold War, then after an undistinguished career switching to intelligence, where he turned out to be an adequate operative, but a good agent runner, and he's built up a string of agents in place across Paris. As the most junior man at the station, he was chosen when the call came for an officer to sacrifice on the altar of international cooperation. He's seen some funny things in Paris, but if there was any Unnatural activity, he was blessedly oblivious to it, until now.

Edit: Suggested Code name: Agent BALLARD

Last edited:

Motorskills

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think I will save my Build Points for interesting unveilments during the next mission, if that's okay?

Everything else refreshes back to full, yes? Are we doing any of Back In The World stuff (pg128)

Motorskills

RPGnet Member
Validated User
DannyK DannyK , this is all long before the Cell structure of 1990's Delta Green, but we paid homage to it via the codename we came up with for our little band of contract rapscallions: CHEVRIER (Goatherd!) and our codenames all began with C. But as a Ros-Bif, feel free to be different! :D

Because PBP is a bit harder on the brain than FTF, we followed the method most groups use, which is to employ the PCs' codenames regardless of what name they would actually be using at the time. So my PC's real name is Patrice de La Rocque, his codename is CYRILLE, and he probably got through two or three alias worknames during the last operation. But I pretty much typed CYRILLE throughout the course of the PBP. You'll see what I mean if you read the previous IC thread.

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
No, that's cool! He can be Agent CRISPIN, as in the St. Crispin's day speech in Shakespeare.

pstjmack

Validated User
If I were to play another FoDG game, it would absolutely be with Paul running the reins. Very insightful, and even the slight 'nudge' in the right direction was very helpful. To be honest, I was quite flustered twice and both M Motorskills and pstjmack pstjmack came to the rescue.

My issue was when to roll vs when to spend points vs what points went into/ came from the pool. But Paul explained everything.

So. On to Indochina? ;)
Thanks for the compliments all. I would never sell myself as an expert on GUMSHOE but FoDG is pretty much my favourite ruleset now, and very much deserved its award. For most purposes I reckon you can get by with the GUMSHOE SRD online and all the other materials around. I think a lot of comparing and contrasting helps, because there's quite a few areas of ambiguity in the basic rules and I prefer to play my own way.

And for now we're staying in Paris. Paris, people. We'll always have Paris. 😎

pstjmack

Validated User
I think I will save my Build Points for interesting unveilments during the next mission, if that's okay?

Everything else refreshes back to full, yes? Are we doing any of Back In The World stuff (pg128)
Let's skip the back in the world part for now. Too much added complexity at this point. But you do get your build points of course and you do get to save them if you wanna. And yes everything refreshes back to full.

I'm also going to set up a wiki for this. It's about time and it'll help to have all your details in one place.

Top Bottom