IC The Fantastical Company and Europa Unchained

Timon

Unabashed optimist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Our view skims over a rich velvet of leaves, their tints hardening from the gentle greens of spring to the sturdy, engine enamel of summer.

A tickle of steam teases up from the depths and we dip in among the branches to find a clearing, dominated by the hulking, yet streamlined shape of His Grace of Stygia's Steam Voltigeur "La Boulversement".

She is resplendent in the colours of Herr Bichelbaum's Troupe of Mechanicals but the clean lines of her gun-deck are somewhat marred by hastily constructed, wooden shelters and stretched tarpaulins. Her passengers, having thus braved the vicious storms that accompanied the disaster that has driven them from their homes are taking a moment, here in a shaft of sunshine, to breakfast, bask, recover and as is the nature of the human creature, to argue. It cannot perhaps be helped: you will know, dear reader, of the nauseating effect of rapid clank motion over broken ground.

It is indeed obvious that "Bullie" has been making heavy weather. She has clambered at her best speed up and down, again and again over the green ocean-rollers of these steep wooded valleys. Her sturdy, articulated legs are caked with mud, splinters and torn brush and there is a solicitous business of her engineer around her heavy feet and driving cylinders.

Spoiler: Show
Voices are raised, though still polite. Who is arguing and why?
 

Muskrat

Ancient Wyrm Kittensnake
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The Silver Fox is fidgeting. This is unbecoming of the Silver Fox, but fortunately no one can see her doing it. The reason that she is fidgeting--and the reason no one can see her--is that she is a stow away aboard La Boulversement, having come aboard due to her own peerless skills at getting into and out of places she doesn't belong and the help of her friend Marius, who is legitimately aboard the voltigeur. Marius has advised her to stay hidden as long as possible, but she honestly doesn't know how long she can stand being holed up doing nothing. If people were actively hunting her, it would be easier, but the lack of tension paradoxically makes waiting difficult for her. She grits her teeth and tries to settle in as she listens to voices arguing above.
 

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
Dr. Willi Quecksalber is holding forth on the main deck, sitting primly on the railing. "Ja, it is the Wheel of Fortune, one minute you are President of the Styrian Academy of Science, next a refugee with..." he checks inside his waistcoat pocket "...three cigars to your name. C'est la vie! Nonetheless, I do maintain that of our limited options in this juncture, the preferred option is to turn around and voyage back into the desolate slough of despond we so narrowly escaped. You see, if we approach the Baron Wulfenbach, or another patron, and tell him we are Sparks and, well minions, and we have found an exciting new way to destroy an entire principality with science, he will ask us for details. And these we do not have; the library was destroyed in the first conflagration and I am fairly sure I saw the steamworks and grommet factory blow up as well. I barely escaped with the bare essentials of a field infirmary, gentlement! So the way forward is clear: we must plunge back into the inferno to take notes and samples. For science."

With that, he pulls a silver flask from his other waistcoat pocket and takes a deep drink with a shaky hand.
 

Timon

Unabashed optimist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The Silver Fox is fidgeting. This is unbecoming of the Silver Fox, but fortunately no one can see her doing it. The reason that she is fidgeting--and the reason no one can see her--is that she is a stow away aboard La Boulversement, having come aboard due to her own peerless skills at getting into and out of places she doesn't belong and the help of her friend Marius, who is legitimately aboard the voltigeur. Marius has advised her to stay hidden as long as possible, but she honestly doesn't know how long she can stand being holed up doing nothing. If people were actively hunting her, it would be easier, but the lack of tension paradoxically makes waiting difficult for her. She grits her teeth and tries to settle in as she listens to voices arguing above.
It has been a rough ride for everyone: the hammering of the engine, the thumping of Clank feet, the moments when La Bouleversement seemed to miss her footing. It has been doubly hard on Anjesa. Her, otherwise iron-clad, stomach cramps fearsomely within her. Travel-sickness would be... very unpleasant in the confines of this small metal space she has inserted herself into.

Spoiler: Show
Normally a good difficulty, in your cramped hiding-place a Superb difficulty to overcome with Physique to avoid becoming messily unwell...
 

Muskrat

Ancient Wyrm Kittensnake
RPGnet Member
Validated User
OOC: Physique: 4dF+4: 5 [4dF=+1, 0, +1, -1]: Success at minor cost. I don't have any good ideas for that cost, so I'll leave it to the GM.


Anjeza feels her stomach heave as the voltigeur moves unevenly. She grits her teeth and holds it down. It would not be fitting for the Silver Fox to be sick all over herself. Still, she feels distinctly unwell. Maybe I should put in an appearance of the deck? she thinks. I mean, I am a stow away, but perhaps the sight of a well known hero like myself would be reassuring to people right now. She turns the notion over in her head.
 

Timon

Unabashed optimist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
OOC: Physique: 4dF+4: 5 [4dF=+1, 0, +1, -1]: Success at minor cost. I don't have any good ideas for that cost, so I'll leave it to the GM.


Anjeza feels her stomach heave as the voltigeur moves unevenly. She grits her teeth and holds it down. It would not be fitting for the Silver Fox to be sick all over herself. Still, she feels distinctly unwell. Maybe I should put in an appearance of the deck? she thinks. I mean, I am a stow away, but perhaps the sight of a well known hero like myself would be reassuring to people right now. She turns the notion over in her head.
Spoiler: Show

I think I shall bank that minor cost for a slightly later date
You discipline your stomach, but your wish to get out of the small, noisome space you are wedged into is greatly increased. The Silver Fox is adept at sensing danger and it seems to you that something is in the wind. The clank is still for the first time in days and you stretch out well-honed senses...
 

KreenWarrior

Legal Smeagol
Validated User
Caspar is himself slightly staggered by the rough motion of the clank. Nothing compared to the frantic ride the night of Styria's destruction, borne on the back of Brimstone the hell-horse clank which was supposed to be in the bowels of their transport but seemed to have wandered on deck), but still, an unpleasant situation. As the adrenaline of the chase had faded, the journey had become simply miserable. He turns to the doctor. He is a bit intimidated by the man, in truth. Caspar's spark might be every bit as strong, but as the son of a drunken gambler who had counted himself luck to get a job with the Graf's armory, he would never have the man's status. "The way forward is forward, not behind. Whatever was unleashed on Styria was no simple generator overload; I would not wish to return without an army at my back, if then." He looked down at the catalogue of assets. "We need materials to repair Bullie, and food for ourselves." He turns to Lord Marius. "I don't suppose you managed to bring any of your food-related experiments?"
 

EnigmaticOne

Registered User
Validated User
Lord Marius Brunvich is trying to keep up an optimistic look, hard for the noble Spark to do under the weight of recent events. All that sudden tragedy and destruction. At Caspar's observations and question, Marius has to cast a double-checking glance into the small bag he had with him. A small scattering of the Miracle-Instant Growth seeds... "Enough Super-Concentrated Meal Pills to last a few days. It all happened so swiftly you know."

The blond fiddles with his cravat. "As such, I have to agree with Caspar. We must gain supplies as soon as possible."
 

Muskrat

Ancient Wyrm Kittensnake
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Spoiler: Show

I think I shall bank that minor cost for a slightly later date
You discipline your stomach, but your wish to get out of the small, noisome space you are wedged into is greatly increased. The Silver Fox is adept at sensing danger and it seems to you that something is in the wind. The clank is still for the first time in days and you stretch out well-honed senses...
Anjeza says aloud to herself, "What am I doing down here?" She stands up and straightens her hat. "My master always told me that you should never let danger find you, but seek out danger so you can confront it on your own terms." After making sure her appearance was in proper order for the notorious Silver Fox, she says to no one in particular, "I believe I will go up top and announce myself."

With that, she exits her hidey-hole and makes her way up to the deck. She claps a hand on Marius' shoulder and says, "Good to see you again. Thanks for inviting me aboard." She makes a formal bow to the others and announces to them, "I am Anjeza Mataranga." She'll let them put the pieces together for themselves--she's curious how long they'll take to realize the unmasked Silver Fox is in their midst.

OOC: I have no idea if this stunt is dangerous enough to count as a self-compel on Don’t Let Danger Seek You Out—Seek Out the Danger First--I suppose that depends on how the Graf and his followers react to a notorious stow away


The others see an young woman with long, blond hair and a wide smile dressed in the height of swashbuckling fashion, an antique sabre strapped to her waist.



She turns and surveys the surrounding landscape, trying to determine where the pricking sense of danger she feels comes from.

 
Last edited:

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
The good doctor Quecksalber removes his spectacles, polishes them and replaces them, staring at Anjeza intently all the while, then smiles radiantly. "Marius, why have you been hiding her from us? Please, good lady, sit down and be welcome!"
Spoiler: Show

A sucker for a pretty face, Willi poses no threat.
BTW, I don't think the Graf is with us
 
Top Bottom