• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[The Fantasy Trip] The Clone Wars

seneschal

Banned
Spinning off another thread,

There are several clones of The Fantasy Trip :
- The Fantasy Quest : http://www.thefantasyquest.com/
- Warriors & Wizards : http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dcsfz7gv_17fmbxhpfv
- Legends of the Ancient World : http://www.darkcitygames.com/docs/Legends.pdf

I've downloaded and played Legends of the Ancient World, and it seemed to mimic my Melee/Wizard Metagaming experience pretty well. It's 7 pages, yet Warriors & Wizards is 54. I haven't had an opportunity to examine The Fantasy Quest. So, those of you who've downloaded and played one or more of these, how do they compare and contrast with one another, and with the original? Which one do you prefer, and why?

TheShadow

found the shaved monkeys
Validated User
Spinning off another thread,

There are several clones of The Fantasy Trip :
- The Fantasy Quest : http://www.thefantasyquest.com/
- Warriors & Wizards : http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dcsfz7gv_17fmbxhpfv
- Legends of the Ancient World : http://www.darkcitygames.com/docs/Legends.pdf

I've downloaded and played Legends of the Ancient World, and it seemed to mimic my Melee/Wizard Metagaming experience pretty well. It's 7 pages, yet Warriors & Wizards is 54. I haven't had an opportunity to examine The Fantasy Quest. So, those of you who've downloaded and played one or more of these, how do they compare and contrast with one another, and with the original? Which one do you prefer, and why?
I'm pretty partial to LotAW, especially due to the plethora of quality solo adventures available, and the fact that the Dark City Games folk are such nice guys to deal with. The rules are simple and stripped back, and do not give you anything like the full TFT campaign rules. Still, the fact that a reasonably complete FRPG fits onto a few pages (4 in the pdf I have!) while still feeling like it has a bit of tactical crunch is a tribute to the genius of Steve Jackson and the good work of Dark City Games.

Wizard and Warrior mimics the original combat and magic rules fairly well, but it doesn't give you the complete game. Also, it's a super rough Google doc which takes it down a notch.

I don't know so much about The Fantasy Quest. Possibly it's in a closed playtest, or is it vapourware? At any rate the website seems to have been unchanged for years, and from what I've heard the rules are one guy's houserules gone wild.

With all due respect to Dark City Games (who did talk about a more complete "Advanced Rules" a while back but seem to have gone quiet) I still feel the world is waiting for a complete, sensible clone of TFT. Give it a nice, old school layout and art and put in on Lulu as a 100 page softback, and you have a winner.

seneschal

Banned
100 pages? Was the original that much text? :eek:

Of course, the original Melee and Wizard pamphlets (they were not books!) were printed in relatively tiny single-spaced text broken up by small but evocative illustrations. So if you put that in an easier to read type size and font with a breathable layout and illustrations ... maybe it'd be more content than I remember. It has been 30 or so years, after all. ;)

Throw in a sturdy hex map and fierce-looking, durable cardboard counters and I'm ready to tackle the Death Test once again!

One of the things I like about Dark City's product is their application of the system to other genres. It's easy enough to turn Ancient World fantasy critters into Time and Space aliens. How a 7-hex dragon would fit into an Untamed West scenario I haven't decided, but there's always Valley of Gwangi. ;D

Last edited:

TheShadow

found the shaved monkeys
Validated User
100 pages? Was the original that much text? :eek:
Advanced Melee was 32, Advanced Wizard 40 and In the Labyrinth 80 pages. That's TFT as opposed to the original Melee/Wizard which was essentially just a combat and magic system.

Chris Goodwin

not a robot
Validated User
Disclosure: I'm the author of Warrior & Wizard.

It's true, it is a rough Google document. With even a half-assed attempt at layout it could probably be somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 of its current page count, which I may try to do at some point. It's released OGL and Creative Commons, so if someone else wanted to do that they're free to.

It's also on a wiki here.

My biggest hope is that it's organized well enough to have some usability. And I'm glad people are showing interest in it!

cjh

Solar Flare Blind
Disclosure: I'm the author of Warrior & Wizard.

It's true, it is a rough Google document. With even a half-assed attempt at layout it could probably be somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 of its current page count, which I may try to do at some point. It's released OGL and Creative Commons, so if someone else wanted to do that they're free to.

It's also on a wiki here.

My biggest hope is that it's organized well enough to have some usability. And I'm glad people are showing interest in it!
I'm finding the document interesting and I'm wondering about the implications of using it for more modern settings.

Chris Goodwin

not a robot
Validated User
I'm finding the document interesting and I'm wondering about the implications of using it for more modern settings.
As far as I can tell there's not a thing in the world that would preclude that; all one would need would be skills and weapons appropriate to the setting. The LotAW folks have done up Old West and SF versions.

cjh

Solar Flare Blind
As far as I can tell there's not a thing in the world that would preclude that; all one would need would be skills and weapons appropriate to the setting. The LotAW folks have done up Old West and SF versions.
I've seen that. I have to say that, while I've always loved the simplicity of Fantasy Trip, it's been forever since I looked at any of the rules. I need to do some re-reading. I just enjoy urban fantasy more than traditional.

If you have any ideas, contact me. This is something that I would have an eye towards publication for.

Chris Goodwin

not a robot
Validated User
I've seen that. I have to say that, while I've always loved the simplicity of Fantasy Trip, it's been forever since I looked at any of the rules. I need to do some re-reading. I just enjoy urban fantasy more than traditional.

If you have any ideas, contact me. This is something that I would have an eye towards publication for.
All right, will do! I haven't thought about it much, but hmmm.

Top Bottom