• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC The Future Ain't What It Used To Be

Starcrash

Registered User
Validated User
Melody
You cut a path through the crowds like a shark. There's some gossip to be had, but it's paying gigs you're after. The trick is going to be separating the ones who will pay from the ones who just make promises. And then there's the Finers. Even without trying, you can tell there's something about them today. It's not just the heat. It's something about you. There's a Master here today, come to sell their works in person. They'd know what the problem is, if you can get to them.

Dr. Z
"Might need you soon, Doc," Twitch advises as he accepts the tribute from you. "Things are getting tight. People are starting to take, y'know." You do know. You've caught the signs. You hear other things too, stories of animals gone crazed. Some people reckon that's what's happened to the Hunters, that they got turned on. Others say they're keeping away because they know something is going to happen at the Rock.

Uncle Krieder
Slider gives a noncommittal shrug. "Rip's just the part you can see. There's others. Nothing's even." She makes to head for the door, but pauses. "Could balance things, if you want." You know she means with a knife in the night. It's an option.

Calico
Business is good, verging on great, but it seems like everyone wants to haggle to the last crumb. On another day you'd call it bustling. Today, though, there's an undercurrent of tension. Jackal keeps the hammer recovered from Mari's project close by, and Uncle's gang are everywhere.
 
Last edited:

stinkyfool

Registered User
Validated User
Uncle Kreider
Uncle looks at Slider and says, "No, nothing's ever even. But life is hard, and we don't live with even. Need to tip things back. Who are the others?"

He pauses for a second, and turns to look Slider in the eye, and continues, "But first. What about you? You happy with how things are?"
 

insomniac

Registered User
Validated User
Melody sees the Finers looking at her, and gets her chain a little looser over her arm. It's just a shrug, really, but the rolling coil of metal sliding over her arm really can't avoid looking at least a little like a threat. She starts to head on into the gathering of Finers, looking around to see who's dangerous and what she needs to be worried about.

"Hoy." She lifts a bare arm--the left one, which isn't holding the bladed mess of metal--in greeting as she gets closer. She'll try to get through to the Master, but isn't looking to fight her way through if the rest of them try to stop her. Not looking for a fight yet, anyway.

OOC: Gonna try and read the sitch, if that's legit?

Hah, sweet. Okay, so if this is a charged situation:

-What should I be on the lookout for?
-Who's in control here?
-What's my best escape route?
 

Starcrash

Registered User
Validated User
Uncle Kreider
Uncle looks at Slider and says, "No, nothing's ever even. But life is hard, and we don't live with even. Need to tip things back. Who are the others?"

He pauses for a second, and turns to look Slider in the eye, and continues, "But first. What about you? You happy with how things are?"
"Janes, Brickshed, Camel," Slider answers smoothly, "And you don't need to mind me, Uncle. I've always got your back." She clearly wants to leave now, but is waiting for your word. Janes runs the smoke-bar and Brickshed is her muscle, less used as a doorman, more as a debt collector. Camel is a broad-shouldered youth who frequently loses at games of chance, and ends up on water duty almost every other day. She could put a knife in any or all of them before the day's out, if you wish.

Twitch appears in the doorway, clutching a package from Dr. Z.
Melody sees the Finers looking at her, and gets her chain a little looser over her arm. It's just a shrug, really, but the rolling coil of metal sliding over her arm really can't avoid looking at least a little like a threat. She starts to head on into the gathering of Finers, looking around to see who's dangerous and what she needs to be worried about.

"Hoy." She lifts a bare arm--the left one, which isn't holding the bladed mess of metal--in greeting as she gets closer. She'll try to get through to the Master, but isn't looking to fight her way through if the rest of them try to stop her. Not looking for a fight yet, anyway.

OOC: Gonna try and read the sitch, if that's legit?

Hah, sweet. Okay, so if this is a charged situation:

-What should I be on the lookout for?
-Who's in control here?
-What's my best escape route?
You quickly pick up on the problem here - it's Lars and Kat and them not being seen since going on a scav run somewhere near Gator Rock, and you being the number one for that kind of thing around here, and nobody being able to keep their damn mouths shut when all they have is rumour and conjecture but they want to sound important. Oh, and Juck too, but apparently nobody really liked that guy.

Who's in control? The Master, who is called Jacob. Nobody's making a move on you, but there's lots of glances from the Finers between you and the tent they've brought. Now, the Masters generally take a calculating view of things, everything and everyone has a worth and petty revenge doesn't pay. That doesn't mean that some random Finer won't try something stupid, so try not to get alone with one of them.

If you want to get away, same as before: take the high road. Get some distance, they'll never catch up through the crowds.
 

Pandorym

Magitech Construct
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Dr. Z
"Might need you soon, Doc," Twitch advises as he accepts the tribute from you. "Things are getting tight. People are starting to take, y'know." You do know. You've caught the signs. You hear other things too, stories of animals gone crazed. Some people reckon that's what's happened to the Hunters, that they got turned on. Others say they're keeping away because they know something is going to happen at the Rock.
The situation is quickly becoming... untenable. Putting a poisoned knife through the hand of someone who's forcibly trying to lay a hand on his assistant tends to give that idea. Time to depart. Dr. Z quickly begins packing up his stall with the help of Lapis, and hefting his Angel Kit, starts walking back towards his asylum turned clinic. He's not going to be at ground zero when all of this nonsense explodes.
 

insomniac

Registered User
Validated User
"Hoy." Melody advances on the Master through the crowd, letring her arm fall to her side and giving the man an upnod as she steps forward, chain jingle-jingling with each step. "Hear you might have a need for a bit of extra hardbody." The Finers are staring? Let 'em. Everyone stares, for whatever reason. "Your lot need peace of mind. I'm a better deal than anyone you'll find this side of the burnfields."

No fear, no tension. Melody makes an impression wherever she goes, and swaggering in through this crowd should serve as an advertisement for her services by itself.
 

Starcrash

Registered User
Validated User
The situation is quickly becoming... untenable. Putting a poisoned knife through the hand of someone who's forcibly trying to lay a hand on his assistant tends to give that idea. Time to depart. Dr. Z quickly begins packing up his stall with the help of Lapis, and hefting his Angel Kit, starts walking back towards his asylum turned clinic. He's not going to be at ground zero when all of this nonsense explodes.
Gray's trying to look like he's not waiting for you as you leave the cover of the marketplace and into the sun, but the reddened skin on his hands and face say he's been here a while. He sees you coming and hurries over, clutching a package wrapped in cloth. "Um, hi Doc, uh..." It's clear he had something in mind to say. Perhaps the sun has baked it out.

Awkwardly he thrusts the package towards you, which Lapis intercepts, pulling back a corner to inspect it. She shows you: dried meat, some irregular but fresh vegetables. There's not much by normal standards, but it must have cost him today. "I brought this for Grace," he stammers out. "How is she?"
"Hoy." Melody advances on the Master through the crowd, letring her arm fall to her side and giving the man an upnod as she steps forward, chain jingle-jingling with each step. "Hear you might have a need for a bit of extra hardbody." The Finers are staring? Let 'em. Everyone stares, for whatever reason. "Your lot need peace of mind. I'm a better deal than anyone you'll find this side of the burnfields."

No fear, no tension. Melody makes an impression wherever she goes, and swaggering in through this crowd should serve as an advertisement for her services by itself.
Jacob's a scrawny man who clearly lives his life under as much steel and concrete as he can find. His face is pale and his fingers are stained black. His tent is a geodesic dome, decorated with colourful electric lamps. He squints at you through wire-framed eyeglasses and pauses in his decimation of a bowl of grapes.

"Melody." He sniffs. "You're Uncle Kreider's tool. Don't want to be undiplomatic here, but are you looking to defect? Because we don't have room for freeloaders. It's all or nothing."

Meanwhile, Calico, why don't you tell us how much you're planning to sell? You can stick to the regular, keeping some back for you and yours just in case, or take advantage given the situation and score an extra 1-barter. What do you say?
 

Pandorym

Magitech Construct
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Gray's trying to look like he's not waiting for you as you leave the cover of the marketplace and into the sun, but the reddened skin on his hands and face say he's been here a while. He sees you coming and hurries over, clutching a package wrapped in cloth. "Um, hi Doc, uh..." It's clear he had something in mind to say. Perhaps the sun has baked it out.

Awkwardly he thrusts the package towards you, which Lapis intercepts, pulling back a corner to inspect it. She shows you: dried meat, some irregular but fresh vegetables. There's not much by normal standards, but it must have cost him today. "I brought this for Grace," he stammers out. "How is she?"
"She's fine Gray, doing alright. I'll make sure she gets this, and she knows you provided it. With the jingle I've got I've managed to make things better for her, so she's on a quick road to recovery." He does his best to console the worried young man, soothing tones in his deep voice.

"Of course, there's still the matter of her having nowhere to go when she's done healing," Lapis states abruptly with arms crossed. Dr. Z can only wince unconsciously at the declaration, unable to refute her.

"I'm sure we'll figure out something," he murmurs in an effort to calm his assistant, but the spark has been struck, and now ugly flames taint the mood of the conversation.

"Well she's not staying with us doctor -- you don't need three nurses," the former skinner bites off viciously. And there it was: jealously. Plain and simple. They'd gotten too attached. Pearl was now completely codependent on him, while Lapis was almost hatefully jealous of any affection or attention given him that didn't come from her twin sister. It was problematic, and enough to drive him crazy three times over if he wasn't so levelheaded.
 

Six_claws

Registered User
Validated User
Calico

The tension in the air is almost palpable as Calico pushes her way through the mobs milling about the market square. She heads home, looking forward to being situated in a more comfortable, or maybe really she was thinking safe, setting.

Home is not quite the welcoming sight she was hoping for, strangers surround the main door, and Jackal looks harassed. He looks at her in obvious relief as she catches his eye and heads to a side entrance. Excusing himself from the throng for a moment, they share a quick conversation.

"Thank everything that you're here. We're nearly out, but there's still plenty of paying customers, shall I grab some back stock?"

Calico looks at him, considering her options. Not one to pass up on a sale usually, this didn't seem like quite the usual situation. She tells Jackal to let the rest of the queue know that they were done selling for the day, and to meet her inside when he was done.

"And be careful!" She adds before heading in to talk to the others.

Calico spends the next few hours carefully checking that the greenhouse is as secure as possible, before retiring to her room, her trusty shotgun within comforting reach.
 

Starcrash

Registered User
Validated User
"She's fine Gray, doing alright. I'll make sure she gets this, and she knows you provided it. With the jingle I've got I've managed to make things better for her, so she's on a quick road to recovery." He does his best to console the worried young man, soothing tones in his deep voice.

"Of course, there's still the matter of her having nowhere to go when she's done healing," Lapis states abruptly with arms crossed. Dr. Z can only wince unconsciously at the declaration, unable to refute her.

"I'm sure we'll figure out something," he murmurs in an effort to calm his assistant, but the spark has been struck, and now ugly flames taint the mood of the conversation.

"Well she's not staying with us doctor -- you don't need three nurses," the former skinner bites off viciously. And there it was: jealously. Plain and simple. They'd gotten too attached. Pearl was now completely codependent on him, while Lapis was almost hatefully jealous of any affection or attention given him that didn't come from her twin sister. It was problematic, and enough to drive him crazy three times over if he wasn't so levelheaded.
Gray doesn't quite get the sudden shift in the tone of the conversation, but with an almost visible effort he carries on. "I was thinking, if she's good enough to travel, we could go together-" He doesn't finish the sentence as one of Uncle's gang stomps by. His eyes follow Rip warily until he's out of sight, then he blurts out the plan. "We could go with the Finers. Make a new start."
Calico

The tension in the air is almost palpable as Calico pushes her way through the mobs milling about the market square. She heads home, looking forward to being situated in a more comfortable, or maybe really she was thinking safe, setting.

Home is not quite the welcoming sight she was hoping for, strangers surround the main door, and Jackal looks harassed. He looks at her in obvious relief as she catches his eye and heads to a side entrance. Excusing himself from the throng for a moment, they share a quick conversation.

"Thank everything that you're here. We're nearly out, but there's still plenty of paying customers, shall I grab some back stock?"

Calico looks at him, considering her options. Not one to pass up on a sale usually, this didn't seem like quite the usual situation. She tells Jackal to let the rest of the queue know that they were done selling for the day, and to meet her inside when he was done.

"And be careful!" She adds before heading in to talk to the others.

Calico spends the next few hours carefully checking that the greenhouse is as secure as possible, before retiring to her room, her trusty shotgun within comforting reach.
The queue is more of a throng, only held into some semblance of order by Uncle's enforcers. When you give the word that you're closing up, dismay sweeps over them like a wave. The guards grip their weapons tight and start herding them away, but it's slow going. Ethan and Mari sort out the day's takings while Jackal mirrors you as you move around, checking doors and panels for security. You don't hear what the crowd are saying to each other as they're encouraged back into the marketplace proper, about what they think you're hoarding for yourself, and how you value your riches over their lives. Probably for the best.
 
Top Bottom