• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

The future of GURPS

ResplendentScorpion

neither glitter, nor substance
Validated User
The idea of growing the GURPS fan base is totally off their radar, IMHO.
I have not played GURPS for a long time (following it yes, but only started actively reading and playing recently), and it feels like business and marketing was always its weakest point. Me getting into GURPS was almost despite SJG's best efforts (not to mention some parts of the community).

E.T.Smith

A Most Sincere Poseur
Validated User
It's fair to ask what audience is best served by GURPS now, besides those already dedicated to GURPS. Its not folks looking for multi-campaign system; being "generic universal" just isn't special anymore now that Fate, Savage Worlds and others exist. Every time the sustainability of GURPS is questioned, long time fans are quick to point out how good it is at modelling things in close detail. But it doesn't seem that close detail is of much interest to most modern gamers anymore.

Wei

Validated User
I have not played GURPS for a long time (following it yes, but only started actively reading and playing recently), and it feels like business and marketing was always its weakest point. Me getting into GURPS was almost despite SJG's best efforts (not to mention some parts of the community).
Couldn’t agree more. Back in the day you would encounter a lot of GURPS fanatics that would nearly burn all the other games in ritual sacrifice to their god system, but the business model was probably the biggest problem, even back in 3e. I recall a lot of ads for other systems and D&D has always been everywhere, but SJG never bothered it seems, and the fanbase didn’t expand since the early 2000s.

Wei

Validated User
It's fair to ask what audience is best served by GURPS now, besides those already dedicated to GURPS. Its not folks looking for multi-campaign system; being "generic universal" just isn't special anymore now that Fate, Savage Worlds and others exist. Every time the sustainability of GURPS is questioned, long time fans are quick to point out how good it is at modelling things in close detail. But it doesn't seem that close detail is of much interest to most modern gamers anymore.
I am one of those gamers who appreciate the detail, but I’m quite old school. You get quite a few young players who want that too, and who immediately fall in love with GURPS if you manage to introduce them properly. This system has a great potential, but it seems that only fans really care.

Rupert

Validated User
I would guess that SJG's business model for GURPS is based on an assumption that there is a stable fan base of completionists that will buy anything GURPS puts out, and then they factor in slow annual attrition as those fans die off. The maths probably are telling them they have several years left before even PDFs are unprofitable. The idea of growing the GURPS fan base is totally off their radar, IMHO.
That doesn't match their recent attempts to get some new hard copies into stores, to promote the DFRPG Kickstater and boxed set, and their putting up pdfs of both new 4e and old 3e material on Drivethru.

Wei

Validated User
That doesn't match their recent attempts to get some new hard copies into stores, to promote the DFRPG Kickstater and boxed set, and their putting up pdfs of both new 4e and old 3e material on Drivethru.
If they are doing that, it’s about 10 years too late.

Sleeper

Red-eyed dust bunny
Validated User
If they are doing that, it’s about 10 years too late.
I'd say they're at least 15 years too late. Third edition had general appeal, but fourth was aimed almost entirely at the gearheads. Which probably guaranteed steady sales at a certain level, but they lost mainstream appeal. A fourth edition that appealed to the masses would have probably looked more like an expanded GURPS Lite than GURPS + Compendiums.

Silvercat Moonpaw

Quadruped Transhuman
Validated User
I liked GURPS, was okay that it wasn't completely generic because it fulfilled my gearhead need. Then some drama happened so I had to drop it for personal moral reasons. These days I'm eyeing HERO.

Wei

Validated User
I liked GURPS, was okay that it wasn't completely generic because it fulfilled my gearhead need. Then some drama happened so I had to drop it for personal moral reasons. These days I'm eyeing HERO.
Personal moral reasons? I mean, I don’t want to be intrusive, but did something awful happen about it?

Wei

Validated User
I'd say they're at least 15 years too late. Third edition had general appeal, but fourth was aimed almost entirely at the gearheads. Which probably guaranteed steady sales at a certain level, but they lost mainstream appeal. A fourth edition that appealed to the masses would have probably looked more like an expanded GURPS Lite than GURPS + Compendiums.
I fully agree. I’ve only recently bought the fourth edition and although it’s not awful, I still prefer the third. The core book is so much better, it has nostalgia value for me, and has a lot more expansions. Not to mention GURPS WW2 is designed for it.

Top Bottom