• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

The future of GURPS

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I’ve never heard of it but that’s absolutely appalling! Did they eventually apologise or changed their stance?

In any case, more example of how “good” their marketing/PR team is.
No, they didn’t. They doubled down.

As someone who’s been accumulating and playing GURPs since it came out (accumulating more than playing, but still), I am deeply disappointed.

Wei

Validated User
No, they didn’t. They doubled down.

As someone who’s been accumulating and playing GURPs since it came out (accumulating more than playing, but still), I am deeply disappointed.
I’ll definitely think twice about buying their books then. I absolutely don’t want to support a company that does something as awful as this. :cry:

dalin

Validated User
I recall a lot of ads for other systems and D&D has always been everywhere, but SJG never bothered it seems, and the fanbase didn’t expand since the early 2000s.
I can't speak to SJG's marketing practices, but at least in my neck of the woods, there's still plenty of interest in GURPS. I've run GURPS or Dungeon Fantasy RPG games for no less than five separate groups over the past year alone. The gaming club at the middle school where I teach features the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game, introducing it to a few dozen students every semester.

GURPS doesn't have much shelf space in game stores, sadly, but I've found that it's as easy as it ever was to bring in new players. I know people who bemoan the ascendency of D&D, but my sense is that the D&D renaissance is widening the potential audience of people who are willing to try any role playing game. GURPS and DFRPG are strong enough systems to be attractive.

Silvercat Moonpaw

Quadruped Transhuman
Validated User
I'm even hesitant to talk about GURPS now, because while I can control my own buying habits I don't want to convince anyone else to support them.

Raleel

Validated User
GURPS doesn't have much shelf space in game stores, sadly, but I've found that it's as easy as it ever was to bring in new players. I know people who bemoan the ascendency of D&D, but my sense is that the D&D renaissance is widening the potential audience of people who are willing to try any role playing game. GURPS and DFRPG are strong enough systems to be attractive.
I couldn’t agree more. I’ve played a lot of d&d over the years, and I prefer other systems now. I have seen a strong uptick in the quest for “something else” that does a thing they can’t envision in d&d. It’s been a rising tide for a while now, and irs raising all of the ships.

the cat

Drone
Validated User
Personally I have changed my thoughts on this. I love gurps but hate the stance the company has taken recently with frog God games. I decided to keep what I have and buy products used from other gamers if I buy new products from SJG at all.

Top Bottom