• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC The Gates Have Opened

DarkMum

Godamn Catwoman
Validated User
Katrin listens carefully, then adds a few questions of her own, quietly conferring with Midnight as she asks each one. After Nigel's question she asks "Do the Foul make much use of illusion or masking spells, in particular over their camps and fortifications?"

She nods in agreement after Alardan and Elerran speak, and says "I would like very much to know about the enchantment used to enthrall so many people myself." then asks the group "Would it be useful to take extra volunteers to help secure the enemy outpost nearest the refuge?"

Katrin explains "If all goes well, then there will be more recently enthralled people without leaders, they will need people there to help. We cannot be sure that word of it will not reach the Foul, and I doubt that they would hesitate to attack the outpost if it did reach them."

Her next question is an odd one "Does anyone know what the gate is constructed of? Purely magical energy, or energy bound into an object of some kind?" and a hopeful smile begins to form as she reasons "We may not be able to break it's matrix of spells apart except by magical means if it's one formed only of magical energy, but the other kind? That we may just be able to break the material object the magical energies are bound into with the appropriate destructive spells..."

Katrin smiles as she theorizes "...Possibly Alain or Mander could too, armed with a large enough hammer? I do not know, but it's worth asking, simply because I've never tried breaking something this complicated before. However, I do know the more complicated the magical device, the more delicate the balance of its components. Hit it hard enough, with the correct counterspell, or a destructive force powerful enough, and in just the right place? It will break."

Last but not least, she asks Mayvreen softly "What can you tell me of Vinven, and the other Shattered Realm scout still unaccounted for? I can search for them by magical means, but I need more information to do so."
 

Ominous presence

Registered User
Validated User
Mander has been silent a good while taking in the new information. Nodding to Alardan. "I agree that we can't leave that outpost at our backs. Better to clear it and perhaps use it as a fallback point for ourselves if we've enough volunteers to hold it. We could bring the wagon along to that point, then take one of the smaller entrances into the caves. I should be able to help navigate below the surface. "

The grin that his scarf conceals is visible in his eyes as Katrin ponders the destruction of the Gate. "If it can be destroyed physically, I'll be more than happy to assist."
 

Cerulean Lion

Social Justice Christian
Validated User
Elarren: "The sooner they're free, the better. And the Foul weakening seems like it would help all of us."
Mander: "I agree that we can't leave that outpost at our backs. Better to clear it and perhaps use it as a fallback point for ourselves if we've enough volunteers to hold it. We could bring the wagon along to that point, then take one of the smaller entrances into the caves. I should be able to help navigate below the surface. "

Nigel: “What sort of magic can we expect them to use?”
Mayvreen: "It will be mostly spells of domination and control. Illusion also. They seem to prefer using their creatures to attack. "

Alardan: "That reminds me. This mental dominion the Foul wield over mortals; is there any way to break or block it? A quicker way than simply slaying all their masters, I mean."
Mayvreen: "For those not long enthralled, whatever your adepts normally use to break a spell--" Ranadath interjects. "Dispel Magic."
Mayvreen nods. " 'Dispel'. Yes, that was the word I wanted. Or 'Dispel Curse' for your priests or god-casters....for those only partly enthralled, such as those you rescued from me, merely removing their mistresses may be enough."
She looks at Karin and smiles gently. "What you did with those two dogs came near to astonishment for me."
And she is grave again. "Those long under domination will need more than that, and some will be beyond salvation, in this life at least. Only death will free them."

Katrin: "Do the Foul make much use of illusion or masking spells, in particular over their camps and fortifications?"
Mayvreen: "They do, not only to hide from their prey but to weaken and befuddle their prisoners."

Katrin: "Would it be useful to take extra volunteers to help secure the enemy outpost nearest the refuge?"
Ranadath: "If we can protect them from domination then I would say yes, more warriors will be better."
Mayvreen: "I must disagree. The number you brought against me is about as large as you should bring."
Ranadath tilts his head and looks at her. "How so, sister?"
Mayvreen: "Most of those we have to hand are too vulnerable to the magic of the Tupicat. They can fight but your casters will be distracted protecting them from domination." She smiles sadly. "Recall brother, that was how I captured you. You were trying to protect your troops."

Katrin: "If all goes well, then there will be more recently enthralled people without leaders, they will need people there to help. We cannot be sure that word of it will not reach the Foul, and I doubt that they would hesitate to attack the outpost if it did reach them."
Mayvreen hesitates, speaks. "Perhaps two groups? One to attack the outpost, then a second group in reserve, that waits to come forward to help those you set free."

Katrin: "Does anyone know what the gate is constructed of? Purely magical energy, or energy bound into an object of some kind? We may not be able to break it's matrix of spells apart except by magical means if it's one formed only of magical energy, but the other kind? That we may just be able to break the material object the magical energies are bound into with the appropriate destructive spells..."

Mayvreen: "I know only the description I was given. A high arch, curved on the sides and coming to a point at the top. Wide enough, perhaps, for two of that wagon of yours to pass through side-by-side. Not so high as it is wide. The pillars are made of very hard wood with strips of metal down the inner surface of each. They stand on circular stone bases."

Mander grins: "If it can be destroyed physically, I'll be more than happy to assist."

Katrin: "What can you tell me of Vinven, and the other Shattered Realm scout still unaccounted for? I can search for them by magical means, but I need more information to do so."

Both Mayvreen and Ranadath look unhappy.

Mayvreen: "Vinven has been held now for some time--days." She closes her eyes for a slow deep breath, opens them. "She may be lost to us. If not, her best chance is for Ranadath to reach her. He has the magics of the mind. <Pause> As for Birimuh, I--<deep sigh>--I hold little hope. I know not even whether he was taken or chose to give himself as I did."
Ranadath: "Vinven is a warrior, with little in the way of magic other than her gear. But her will is very strong. If she lives she has not broken."
Mayvreen gives him a pensive look then turns back to Katrin.
"Birimuh is a priest of the Youngest Lord. Which is to say a warrior-priest. His magic is that of attack and defense."

Chirt, who has been quiet a while: "I believe Lady Katrin seeks a way to locate these two by her magic."
Ranadath: "I may be able to help with that." Directly to Katrin: " I am an adept of the mind. I can place images of Vinven and Birimuh into your memory, If you permit. Such may be useful to focus your magical search."
 
Last edited:

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Alardan: "That reminds me. This mental dominion the Foul wield over mortals; is there any way to break or block it? A quicker way than simply slaying all their masters, I mean."
Mayvreen: "For those not long enthralled, whatever your adepts normally use to break a spell--" Ranadath interjects. "Dispel Magic."
Mayvreen nods. " 'Dispel'. Yes, that was the word I wanted. Or 'Dispel Curse' for your priests or god-casters....for those only partly enthralled, such as those you rescued from me, merely removing their mistresses may be enough."
She looks at Karin and smiles gently. "What you did with those two dogs came near to astonishment for me."
And she is grave again. "Those long under domination will need more than that, and some will be beyond salvation, in this life at least. Only death will free them."
[

Alardan grunts, not at all pleased by this information. "I'm good at breaking objects, but not so much at spells. I should remedy that one of these days.

"Though, a question, speaking of the hounds. Those little goblin-creatures - what are they? Are they willing servants, or more thralls? Is there any hope of freeing them from the Foul's influence? I'll tell you now, I'm not above allying with goblins if that's what it takes."

Katrin: "Do the Foul make much use of illusion or masking spells, in particular over their camps and fortifications?"
Mayvreen: "They do, not only to hide from their prey but to weaken and befuddle their prisoners."
"Now that I can definitely help with," Alardan says with a certain grim satisfaction.

Katrin: "If all goes well, then there will be more recently enthralled people without leaders, they will need people there to help. We cannot be sure that word of it will not reach the Foul, and I doubt that they would hesitate to attack the outpost if it did reach them."
Mayvreen hesitates, speaks. "Perhaps two groups? One to attack the outpost, then a second group in reserve, that waits to come forward to help those you set free."
The warlock frowns. "That's not a bad plan."

Chirt, who has been quiet a while: "I believe Lady Katrin seeks a way to locate these two by her magic."
Ranadath: "I may be able to help with that." Directly to Katrin: " I am an adept of the mind. I can place images of Vinven and Birimuch into your memory, If you permit. Such may be useful to focus your magical search."
"Can you give us some sort of token, perhaps some information we can offer these two - Vinven and Birimuch - if we are able to rescue them? Something to prove we know you, so they'll have reason to believe we speak the truth? Maybe a phrase in your language or something?"
 

Cerulean Lion

Social Justice Christian
Validated User
Alardan: "Though, a question, speaking of the hounds. Those little goblin-creatures - what are they? Are they willing servants, or more thralls? Is there any hope of freeing them from the Foul's influence? I'll tell you now, I'm not above allying with goblins if that's what it takes."

Chirt: "When the Foul invaded our world, the World that Was, they had the goblin-things even then. True goblins they are not, despite their appearance. I have not heard that any were ever freed from the grip of the Foul."
Ranadath: "There are some true goblins, as Master Chirt calls them, among the slaves of the Foul. Perhaps some of those could be freed. I doubt it though."

Alardan: "Can you give us some sort of token, perhaps some information we can offer these two - Vinven and Birimuch - if we are able to rescue them? Something to prove we know you, so they'll have reason to believe we speak the truth? Maybe a phrase in your language or something?"

Ranadath smiles suddenly: "For Birimuh--tell him that 'the youngest lord is not so young as his mother'."
Mayvreen is startled into laughter, which she quickly smothers. But she can't hide her bubbling amusement at Ranadath's words.
He looks at her and says reasonably: "Well, it will work."
Mayvreen grins at him. "Oh most truthfully it will." Her amusement fades to sadness and she tells Alardan: "Tell Vinven that Mayvreen has kissed the foot of the serpent. She will know the message is from us."
Ranadath's eyes are sad when he nods and tells Alardan: "Yes. She will know."
 
Last edited:

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Alardan nods and repeats the phrases to himself, committing them to memory.

"It seems we have a plan, or at least the outline of one," he says, looking to the others. "Any additional suggestions or ideas?"
 

Mitch

Flying high
Validated User
Alardan nods and repeats the phrases to himself, committing them to memory.

"It seems we have a plan, or at least the outline of one," he says, looking to the others. "Any additional suggestions or ideas?"
Nigel looks pensive. “I can divine the magical properties of an object”, he says. “I wonder if a gate is too large an object to handle.”
 

DarkMum

Godamn Catwoman
Validated User
Katrin listens, trying to weave all the new information into some kind of map in her head.

"Much use of illusion, and enchantments then, summoning perhaps, and little directly offensive magic. Subtle opponents in that at least..." she murmurs when the discussion turns to the enemy's use of magic, and smiles gratefully when it seems that some thralls may be freed by certain dispelling countermagics.

Her only comment on the hounds is a cheerful grin and a softly spoken admission of "I may have had a little help there, I just didn't know it at the time, and Midnight always said even dogs have their good points."

Katrin nods in agreement with Alardan at Mayvreen's suggestion to the outpost plan for continued safety between the refuge and the enemy, saying "It's quite a good plan, as far as I can see..." in a pensive tone, followed by "...I am most glad you are no longer an enemy, Mayvreen. War is not my field of expertise, and truly, I need all the help you care to offer." Her expression is a wry when she concurs "I've nothing against goblins that aren't trying to pincushion me with arrows. Goblins that have everything against the Foul sound like they could use a hand as much as the humans, halflings and dwarves to me.

She commits the gate description to memory in silence, and the recognition phrases for Birimuh and Vinven as well, and looks to Ranadath as she says curiously "If you can show me enough of their outer forms to search a crowd for their faces, and perhaps even the sound of their voices? Then that would greatly aid me in finding them by scrying for them..."

Midnight mews quietly, Katrin nods in agreement, scratches his ears then adds "...And can you convey scent by mean of a mental image? It may be useful in knowing friend from foe in the dark. I have no secrets from my partner in magic, and his senses often aid my own."
 

Cerulean Lion

Social Justice Christian
Validated User
OOC: Reminder: this conversation takes place in the open. So a number of refugees have been gathering to listen.


Katrin to Mayvreen: "...I am most glad you are no longer an enemy, Mayvreen. War is not my field of expertise, and truly, I need all the help you care to offer."
Mayvreen, pensively: "I will give all I can, Lady Katrin, for I have much to atone for."

Katrin to Ranadath: "If you can show me enough of their outer forms to search a crowd for their faces, and perhaps even the sound of their voices? Then that would greatly aid me in finding them by scrying for them..."
Midnight mews and Katrin adds to Ranadath: "...And can you convey scent by mean of a mental image? It may be useful in knowing friend from foe in the dark. I have no secrets from my partner in magic, and his senses often aid my own."

Ranadath: "Fortune smiles upon us in this matter: my memory archive includes scent as well as sight and sound."

Alardan: "It seems we have a plan, or at least the outline of one. Any additional suggestions or ideas?"

At this point a refugee speaks up. The man Billith. "I got a question. You plan t' leave th' refuge an' go raid th' Foul, right?" He points at Mayvreen. "What's t'stop her from takin' charge here while ye're away?"
You notice that his accent gets sharper when he's upset or angry, and right now it's very sharp. He's badly worried about this.

Thomerc to Billith: "There's power in the Covering, Bill." He points up at the Veil. "I doubt she can stand up to that, supposing she wanted to." He looks at Mayvreen. "And from the sound of it she doesn't want to."

This exchange gets the attention of the other spectators. Not all seem to fear Mayvreen at this point but they look to the party for an answer.

Alain starts to speak, checks himself and waits silently.
 

Mitch

Flying high
Validated User
OOC: Maybe I missed something in the conversation, but is there a compelling reason why she wouldn’t be coming with us?
 
Top Bottom