• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

The Matrix 4 Official

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
The 'using brains as processors' thing doesn't actually make any more sense, human brains do not work that way.
Once you're good enough to be able to plug humans into a massive neural virtual reality, I think you've bought the right to claim you can use human brains that way. I'd call it included in the penumbra of premise.

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
One thing I would love to see addressed but don’t see mentioned much, is the sky. It’s had me wondering since the Animatrix. Humanity blackened the sky. After the first film, I presumed that the people who’d done it were wiped out and so couldn’t undo it. But the Animatrix says humanity surrendered in relatively good order (they were still with it enough to wear business suits to the treaty signing). So why is the sky still black? Did the machines not think to ask for the shutdown codes to whatever was done to create that storm? Do the machines want the sky to stay black (and thus the Earth to be barren)? If so, why? Supposedly they got almost as much benefit from the sun as humanity.
I'm pretty sure the phrase was "burned". In other words, it was damage to the atmosphere in some fashion. Its not easy to unburn something.

Qwa'ha Xahn

High King of the Known Worlds
Validated User
I'm pretty sure the phrase was "burned". In other words, it was damage to the atmosphere in some fashion. Its not easy to unburn something.
We see in the Animatrix that they disperse something black into the atmosphere, and in the third movie that above that black layer, the sky is still clear. I just presumed Morpheus is speaking poetically and that the “storm” is some kind of nanotechnology swarm or something.

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
We see in the Animatrix that they disperse something black into the atmosphere, and in the third movie that above that black layer, the sky is still clear. I just presumed Morpheus is speaking poetically and that the “storm” is some kind of nanotechnology swarm or something.
I stand corrected. I've got the Animatrix stuff, but I've never watched it.

s/LaSH

RPGnet Member
Validated User
One thing I would love to see addressed but don’t see mentioned much, is the sky. It’s had me wondering since the Animatrix. Humanity blackened the sky. After the first film, I presumed that the people who’d done it were wiped out and so couldn’t undo it. But the Animatrix says humanity surrendered in relatively good order (they were still with it enough to wear business suits to the treaty signing). So why is the sky still black? Did the machines not think to ask for the shutdown codes to whatever was done to create that storm? Do the machines want the sky to stay black (and thus the Earth to be barren)? If so, why? Supposedly they got almost as much benefit from the sun as humanity.

If 01’s network looks anything like the Matrix*, then I’d love to a group of humans pull a shadow run into the machine mainframe to steal the Darkstorm shutdown codes. I don’t know if there’d be enough thematic depth there to be interesting for Lana Wachowski, but I’d love to see it. On the other hand, if 01 doesn’t have the codes... is there a faction out there that does?

*it shouldn’t, of course, but movies. :)
It's possible that the machines don't control the entire planet. Zion might be... somewhere in the Middle East, but the scale of operations is fairly unclear. Their ships don't seem to travel at supersonic rates, so it might be anywhere from dozens to thousands of miles from Zion to 01.

And then there's a teched-up human (or post-human) conclave on another continent, spewing out blackening from their modified volcano stacks, grimly dedicated to fighting the ongoing machine insurrection. It would explain why the machines have a massive military force that they don't deploy against Zion...

Top Bottom