• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

The new She Ra show on Netflix.

Bira

Validated User
Finally watched all of Season 3, so I can finally read this thread again!

She-Ra is definitely a show with two seasons, they just chopped season 2 up for some reason. Perhaps the whole thing didn't get ready on time?

Spoiler: Show

I'm super happy about the outcome of Adora's and Catra's confrontation at the end. Adora finally got to punch the Nazi and call her out on her bullshit. I was waiting for this moment with the same intensity a shipper waits for a kiss scene.

I mean, I'm all for a redemption arc, but I think Catra's is saying that sometimes people don't turn their backs on evil. Catra had the chance to do that time and time again, and every time she chose not to. Yeah, she's a product of the cycle of abuse, but she's a major villain by her own choice and nothing is going to make her turn away from that. She's not a Zuko, she's an Azula.

Heck, by this point I think Hordak might be a more plausible candidate for a redemption arc than Catra.

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User

She's not a Zuko, she's an Azula.

I'd agree with one cavet.
She jumps from being relatively redeemable to meltdown Azula when she pulled the lever.
Up until she throws away a perfectly good chance to start again and be happy (as the boss of Crimson Wastes), she was reliable.
At this point, she might still, as this might have bee "Crossroad of Destiny", but it's much more difficult.
Heck Hordak Prime might force her to ally with the Princesses.

She's still the underdog IMO

Oh and still maintain that Azula was a victim of abuse just as Zuko was.
She just dealt with it very differently.
That was one of the major factors for her meltdown

Bira

Validated User

The comparison to Azula was very intentional :). Both her and Catra are tragic figures, but they're still villains. You get to be compassionate when they're safely behind bars and maybe getting some much-needed treatment. Until then you fight them. Neither one is going to have a sudden epiphany and join the good guys. I mean, that's something that definitely happens in other stories, but I don't think it's something that happens in theirs.

The bit in the Light Hope facility is the one I consider to be the "point of no return" for her. Before then you could kinda argue that the Horde was all Catra had known in her life and that she was a bit hesitant to leave it even for Adora. You could maybe hope that Adora would eventually get through to her, perhaps on the strength of their childhood promise.

Then Adora finds herself hanging over an abyss, and begs Catra to help her up. Catra very deliberately throws her down instead. Both of them believed the abyss to be real, too, so that was a real murder attempt.

There were quite a few other chances for Catra to turn around after that, but there was no chance she was ever going to choose to take them.

GaoGaiGar

Is anyone REALLY a
Validated User
Finally watched all of Season 3, so I can finally read this thread again!

She-Ra is definitely a show with two seasons, they just chopped season 2 up for some reason. Perhaps the whole thing didn't get ready on time?
Voltron was the same way, produced in 13 episode seasons which were broken up into shorter, more frequent ones most of the time. I believe Netflix does it to keep people coming back more frequently, rather than one season and then nothing for a year. I've seen shows on Amazon handled the same way (such as The Tick).

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I too am finally caught up!

Catra really had her complex with Shadowweaver punch her in the gut and help drive her to desperation. Her drives are, one, success, which she was getting, but two, she wanted to be Adora's equal (even as a baddie). SW going to Adora and not her was just, this huge kick. Abusive as she was, Shadowweaver is still her mom and even after all of that not only does she not care about Catra, but Weaver still cares about Adora- not caring about either she could handle, but not that. So she became obsessed with, basically, beating Adora-and-Shadowweaver utterly.

And then she got what she wanted, Adora no longer protecting her and treating her as an equal- an enemy. And it scares her.

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I too am finally caught up!

Catra really had her complex with Shadowweaver punch her in the gut and help drive her to desperation. Her drives are, one, success, which she was getting, but two, she wanted to be Adora's equal (even as a baddie). SW going to Adora and not her was just, this huge kick. Abusive as she was, Shadowweaver is still her mom and even after all of that not only does she not care about Catra, but Weaver still cares about Adora- not caring about either she could handle, but not that. So she became obsessed with, basically, beating Adora-and-Shadowweaver utterly.

And then she got what she wanted, Adora no longer protecting her and treating her as an equal- an enemy. And it scares her.

Yeah and her pulling the switch, was all about not giving Adora a win.
She went in full Loki-mode (by which I mean opening a bigger can of worms to deal with a smaller one) starting with dealing with Entrapta.
Who actually was her friend without reservations.

But she just could not let Adora win again, even if it destroyed the universe.
Which is why I liken her to meltdown Azula

Owesome

Social Justice Warmonger
Validated User
Voltron was the same way, produced in 13 episode seasons which were broken up into shorter, more frequent ones most of the time. I believe Netflix does it to keep people coming back more frequently, rather than one season and then nothing for a year. I've seen shows on Amazon handled the same way (such as The Tick).
I'd be very interested to hear more about how this release strategy impacts on workflow and production... breaking a six episode 'season' is different from breaking a 12 episode season. I mean I'll take my cartoons as soon as they ready, but I don't want to have that place undue pressure on the creatives.

GaoGaiGar

Is anyone REALLY a
Validated User
I'd be very interested to hear more about how this release strategy impacts on workflow and production... breaking a six episode 'season' is different from breaking a 12 episode season. I mean I'll take my cartoons as soon as they ready, but I don't want to have that place undue pressure on the creatives.
I've always had the impression that the show is produced in 13 episode seasons and then Netflix just puts half out now and saves the other half for later, labelling them as different seasons. Voltron Legendary Defender started with a long season, then went to shorter ones, then did a long one for the final season, and there wasn't any discussion about how the changes affected actual production (Including in panels I've been to at various Comic-Cons).

Tumbleweed

Supporting Cast!
Validated User
Okay, up to ep 5 of season 3.

And ... is that fish lady standing next to Grizzlor from Undertale?

Top Bottom