• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

OOC [The Nightmares Underneath] Byzantium: Nightmares Undreamed Of

Atlictoatl

Powered by the Apocryphal
Validated User
This is the OOC thread for a game of The Nightmares Underneath.

Characters:

• Sod Oddson, Champion of Chaos -- Sellsword from a Distant Isle, played by [MENTION=1750]DannyK[/MENTION]
  • Ophelia Basilea Saraphis, Bard -- Aristocrat, Adventurer, Artiste, played by [MENTION=40517]Mercurial Sea[/MENTION]
  • Ilknur Bryennios, Scholar -- Mistress of Myriad Tongues, played by [MENTION=173398]TemerousNox[/MENTION]
  • Tomás the Red-Handed Bastard, Fighter -- Bourgeois Bastard Born of Ambition, played by [MENTION=168640]Rowenn552[/MENTION]
IC Thread
Recruitment Thread
Wiki

Last edited:

Atlictoatl

Validated User
Let's keep chargen-type stuff in the Recruitment thread, but game-associated stuff here.

To start that off, the characters are currently Between Adventures (TNU 116). Such activities include:

• Buying and Selling Things
  • Conducting Research
  • Magic
  • People, Places, and Things
  • Room and Board

Past Connection

You all first worked together defeating an Incursion three months ago, a series of mining tunnels forming a Spawning Pit and defended by a small sect of cultists who had set up a Corrupted Outpost in a milliner's shop. You learned of the Incursion because pieces of art in the neighborhood were mysteriously developing a golden sheen. The empty frame of a painting in one of the back rooms shadow-transported you to the tunnels, which were patrolled by bees made of clay and ferocious golden-glowing monster kittens and puppies reeking of cut grass and dying flowers which stalked you through the tunnels. The nightmare was anchored by an unframed painting, all in gold, an austere and simply executed (even childish) pastoral scene that invoked powerful feelings of resentment in the viewer. Removing the painting collapsed the growing connection of the tunnels to the Nightmare Realm, and fitting the painting to its empty frame closed the portal, removed the painting's curse, and cleared up the local art. Your group was able to sell the painting to a collector for 140 cyphers. Kitten/puppy skins sold for an additional 40 cyphers (it was emotionally difficult to harvest them all). Afterwards, your group split up and went their separate ways.

In the time since, each of you worked with some other partners, but you find yourselves now without companions and between incursions.

Living Situation

How have you been living in the last two weeks? (see TNU 118)

• living poorly
  • living well
  • living like the rich
  • staying in a hospital or sanitarium
  • working as an employee/servant
You won't be responsible at game start for paying for the last few weeks, but if you maintain the lifestyle moving forward as the game commences, you will have to.

Contacts

Stealing from Vornheim, you each start play with a number of Contacts = 1 + CHA modifier (in Sod's and Tomás' cases, their negative modifiers mean that their bonus Contacts from CHA will automatically begin on the lower end of the Reaction table).

• Sod has an additional Contact associated with a cult of Chaos (so three total, one of which is 'negative')
  • Ophelia has an additional contact associated with either Art or the Aristocracy (also three total)
  • Ilknur has an additional contact associated with the Copper Courts of Byzantium, the City Superior of the Kingdoms of Dreams (four total)
  • Tomás has an additional contact associated with the shopkeepers of the Twisted City (four total, two of which are 'negative')
You can declare your unused Contacts at any time during play. You will have the opportunity to make additional Contacts in play, and can make a Between Adventures move in some extended downtime situations to generate more open Contacts if your current open Contacts are exhausted.

When you activate a Contact, I'll roll against the Reaction and Seeing a Man About a Dog tables (TNU 137-138) to determine their current opinion of you and their ability to render the aid you desire. (With the exception that free Contacts generated by negative CHA will at best have a neutral Reaction).

Cramped Quarters

Stealing from Uncharted Worlds, I'm going to roll for each of you on the following Move to represent the results of your experience together on your first Incursion.

CRAMPED QUARTERS
When you’ve been trapped in cramped quarters with the same people for a significant amount of time, choose a character trapped here with you and Roll 2d6.
  • On a 10+, describe how the two of you bonded over the past few days.
  • On a 7-9, reveal/discover the answer to their question about an aspect of yourself or your past.
  • On a 6-, describe what caused the newest hurt feelings or bad blood between you.
Cramped Quarters -- first Sod, then Ophelia: 2d6 9 2d6 8

Sod, what's something Ophelia learned about you during or immediately after the above incursion? This wouldn't be your Secret, and presumably she knows the basics of your Background already. It could be something utterly mundane, like one of your spells or your Imbuement, but it might be more interesting if this is a new fact. It could also be a misdirection; i.e. something you wanted them to think they learned about your character, but which isn't true. (If so, please notate that OOCly.)

Ophelia, same question for you, but it's about something Ilknur Bryennios learned about you.

Cramped Quarters for Ilknur Bryennios: 2d6 10

Ilknur, how did you and Tomás bond during or immediately after the above incursion? (This would have been before he became Bloody-Handed.)

Close Quarters roll for Tomás the Red-Handed Bastard: 2d6 3

Tomás, what caused hurt feelings or bad blood between you and Sod Oddson, during or immediately after the Incursion?

[hr][/hr]
Your Follow-Up to this Post

• Subscribe to this thread
  • Identify your Living Situation category
  • Cramped Quarters result
  • Please identify and roll for your L2 Attribute Gains (TNU 111)

Last edited:

Atlictoatl

Validated User
Disposition for Sod Oddson (with Advantage): 3d8k2 10 Advantage on Sod's roll comes from Ophelia's Bard ability.

Disposition for Sod Oddson (no Advantage): 2d8 7 Sod will have Advantage once he's rested after being reunited with Ophelia.

Disposition for Ophelia Basilea Saraphis: 2d6 7

Disposition for Ilknur Bryennios, then Psychic Armor: 2d4 6 2d4 4 Ilknur will have Advantage once he's rested after being reunited with Ophelia.

Disposition for Tomás the Bloody-Handed Bastard: 2d8 8 Tomás will have Advantage once he's rested after being reunited with Ophelia.

Disposition may be re-rolled after a Short Rest (unless it's been a full day's work), and must be re-rolled after a Long Rest. (TNU 232)

Psychic Armor does not need to be re-rolled after a Long Rest, but can be if you would like.

Curiously, one's Health score does not add a modifier to Disposition. Per TNU 62, Health modifiers affect recovery rolls and saves against disease and poison.

Last edited:

Rowenn552

Validated User
Requested OOC business...

Characters are currently Between Adventures (TNU 116). Such activities include:

• Buying and Selling Things
  • Conducting Research
  • Magic
  • People, Places, and Things
  • Room and Board

Past Connection
Spoiler: Show

You all first worked together defeating an Incursion three months ago, a series of mining tunnels forming a Spawning Pit and defended by a small sect of cultists who had set up a Corrupted Outpost in a milliner's shop. You learned of the Incursion because pieces of art in the neighborhood were mysteriously developing a golden sheen. The empty frame of a painting in one of the back rooms shadow-transported you to the tunnels, which were patrolled by bees made of clay and ferocious golden-glowing monster kittens and puppies reeking of cut grass and dying flowers which stalked you through the tunnels. The nightmare was anchored by an unframed painting, all in gold, an austere and simply executed (even childish) pastoral scene that invoked powerful feelings of resentment in the viewer. Removing the painting collapsed the growing connection of the tunnels to the Nightmare Realm, and fitting the painting to its empty frame closed the portal, removed the painting's curse, and cleared up the local art. Your group was able to sell the painting to a collector for 140 cyphers. Kitten/puppy skins sold for an additional 40 cyphers (it was emotionally difficult to harvest them all). Afterwards, your group split up and went their separate ways.

In the time since, each of you worked with some other partners, but you find yourselves now without companions and between incursions.

Living Situation

How have you been living in the last two weeks? (see TNU 118)

• living poorly
  • living well
  • living like the rich
  • staying in a hospital or sanitarium
  • working as an employee/servant
You won't be responsible at game start for paying for the last few weeks, but if you maintain the lifestyle moving forward as the game commences, you will have to.
Tomás has been living poorly as usual. He has a crummy flat in a dirtier part of the city. His place is filled with a motley assortment of moth eaten and tattered furniture and rugs. The place is pretty dimly lit but it’s nearby Carnegie’s shop.

Contacts

[*]Tomás has an additional contact associated with the shopkeepers of the Twisted City (four total, two of which are 'negative')
I’m going to assign Carnegie Solomon as one of Tomás’ ‘good’ contacts. It seems fitting, although the 0-3 result unsettled me because I’ve already grown fond of the big hare.
His specialty is as already established mystical and occult type stuff.

Cramped Quarters

Stealing from Uncharted Worlds, I'm going to roll for each of you on the following Move to represent the results of your experience together on your first Incursion.

Tomás, what caused hurt feelings or bad blood between you and Sod Oddson, during or immediately after the Incursion?
When we reached the golden painting, that damned thing, I was stunned and stupefied. It was... beautiful... perfect... it was the most serene thing I had ever seen and Sod, my so-called ‘companion’ was trying take it all for himself! As I watched him an indescribable rage welled up from within.

There was a scuffle, I tried to kill him and he broke my nose with the pommel of his sword. He did some sort of movement; it all happened so quickly, and then I was looking at the ceiling with my back to the floor.

Ilknur helped me up and we all made it out and collected our pay. I haven’t seen Sod in some time but he had some words for me before we parted ways... ‘unreliable’ was one of them...

Spoiler: Show

I’m thinking that the painting’s enchantment of resentment effected Tomás fell under that spell. Then when Tomás looked upon Sod it interacted with Sod’s imbuement in a reverse and amplified manner of making Tom grow super angry to the point of murder.

Obviously the characters don’t know this and even if this isn’t in Sod’s character to have acted as I’ve portrayed they all looked upon the painting or were in its presence. Even if it didn’t take full effect it may have subtly altered personalities in minor ways.
If that’s all good that is with you Danny.

[hr][/hr]

Please identify and roll for your L2 Attribute Gains (TNU 111)
L2 Attributes: (Prime)Ferocity and Intelligence: 2#1d20 15 7
Close on the Ferocity!
So Intelligence improves from 4 to 7... the curse wanes slightly :)

If you would rather this be posted in the Recruitment thread let me know and I will delete.

Atlictoatl