IC [The Nightmares Underneath] Byzantium: Nightmares Undreamed Of

Rowenn552

Registered User
Validated User
Tom watches the events unfold with a clenched jaw. Stanles and his just *awful* looking face, the mad lad looked excited and Ren... gods who knew was going through her head.

*tap - tap - tap*

Damned hands. A quick glance down reveals a small pool of blood forming at Tom’s feet; a smaller spattering of fresh blood adorning his right boot.

Bloody hands and a sweaty brow, what a night, he thinks to himself.

He slowly wipes his forehead with the back of the torch hand leaving a fresh smear of red across the upper portion of his face.
Damn, didn’t think of that did you ya daft bastard...

“Hello voice from downstairs. I’m glad you’re acquainted with Amata and not some other terror from this damnable house. If you’re at all familiar with these things and things were to go south as such things do which of the things should I most urgently direct my sharp and pointy thing at? Hypothetically speaking of course sirs... madames?... insects.”, he says that last bit apologetically wiggling his head not quite sure how to address the strange creatures they find themselves sharing conversation with.
 

Tedster

Vigilante of Love
Validated User
The combination of the corpse's stench and the alien chitinous creatures hovering before him causes Caldwell to gag, and he instinctively clutches the handrail along the wall to brace himself. Reading about monstrosities in the Atlas of Ebony Truth is one thing, but standing in their presence is another thing altogether.

What is this Enigma you have me pursuing, Revealer?

"These creatures..." he begins, finally recovering his composure. "...I recognize them from my readings. They hail from the Realms Beyond the Nightmare, although the presence of Nightmare draws them. They are called battleflies, and I fear they are not to be reasoned with once they lock in on their target."

His eyes flit towards Trystane, then Tom, and finally Amata, noting how the creatures are positioned around the shadowsneak.

Amata. Of course you're the one that has it.

"They hunger only for arcane energies, or items imbued with them. Whatever you've got, Amata, that's the honey to these flies. And just to be clear, they are the armored, spell-casting kind that's impervious to fire and equipped with paralyzing stingers."

His free hand reaches slowly the holy symbol of Yuhannah around his neck.

"My Mistress' divine hand may stay them momentarily for us to make a break for it, but otherwise I can assure you we will not make it out this unscathed."
 

Atlictoatl

Looking for Operations/Culture employment
Validated User
The battlefly that has been doing most of the talking rubs its forearms together and a rainbow of light cascades from it towards Caldwell, who stands on the landing of the stairs. As the light engulfs him, the color orange dominates the others within the rainbow, and the Bookhound is engulfed in fire.


OOC: Z4 casts Chromatic Spray on Caldwell, doing 5 points of fire damage to Caldwell's Disposition (now 1/6). As the first combatant, Z4 starts initiative.

Initiative: Amata, Tomás, Trystane, Stanles, Ren, Caldwell: 2d6+1 9 2d6+1 8 2d6+1 9 2d6+2 5 2d6 10 2d6-1 2

Amata, Tomás, Trystane, and Ren are up! They go first as a group, then the rest of the battleflies, then Stanles and Caldwell as the second group.

Map:
Spoiler: Show
Rolls:
Spoiler: Show
Target: Trystane (odd) or Caldwell (even): 1d6 4 The two people saying the most threatening things are possible targets. Caldwell wins. Why is it they always target the knowledge-keeper?
Spell Control: 1d20 13 1d8 2 1d9 7 1d1000 422 1d4 1 1d4 1
http://orokos.com/roll/712812: Color 1d10 4 Damage 3#1d6 2 3 5
 

MixterAsh

CotTS Grand High Keetom
Validated User
Trystane is about to retort that if defending from monsters was an insult, then he would damned well do so, when the first battlefly attacks Caldwell.

"I knew it! Get back, foul monsters!" Trystane growls, bearing down on the battlefly that burned Caldwell with his baton swinging aggressively, trying to smash at its head.
 

Atlictoatl

Looking for Operations/Culture employment
Validated User
The insect that attacked Caldwell is on the other side of the one in front of you, Trystane, and on the other side of the hole Tomás fell through, with the gloop-creature underneath. Nevertheless, you push forward, taking a crafty swing at the one in front of you, blocking your path to the other.

Your blow glances off the hardened chitin on its leg.

Spoiler: Show
Trystane attack, damage, hit location: 1d20+2 12 1d8 3 2#1d6 2 3
 

Atlictoatl

Looking for Operations/Culture employment
Validated User
OOC: If you all can find a way to narratively gain Advantage on your strikes, that will aid you in this fight.
 

Lysus

Unbelievably Fancy Ostrich
Validated User
As the insect turns to unleash arcane power upon Caldwell, Amata deftly pockets the ring, making it vanish to be replaced with the sword from her scabbard almost faster than the eye can follow. Her task accomplished, she steps into the shadows cast across the doorframe by Trystane's lantern and vanishes as if she was never there at all.

OOC: Using Cloak of Shadows. Amata will position herself to strike on the next round, and we'll see how the bugs react to their objective simply disappearing into thin air. Also, reading my character sheet to remember how this works reminded me that I have the Precognition power that I'd completely forgotten about. Might have been useful at the start of this encounter!
 

Rowenn552

Registered User
Validated User
As the colors streak out towards the newcomer Tom can’t help but to think, I suppose that one is the one the newcomer would’ve pointed out, but unfortunately it is too distant to reach.

Adopting his fencing position he instead smiles wryly at Stan and says, “Here we go.”

Tom lunges first with the torch, shoving the burning end towards the many shimmering eyes of the nearest fly creature in an attempt to blind it before bringing his saber flashing around and down in an angled slash.

OOC: Attack and damage (+1): 2#1d20+3 9 10 2#1d8 7 6
Ugly attack rolls. Added a second in case of Advantage.
Assuming a miss: Damage = 8
 

Atlictoatl

Looking for Operations/Culture employment
Validated User
Red blood from your fingertips, Tomás, splatters the air as you stab and slash into the hide of the battlefly facing you and Stanles. You wound it, the blood of the creature a scintillating, varicolored, flow of pinks, blues, and fiery oranges.

Ren leaps out with her silver dagger at the battlefly nearest her, but it dodges her attack. Unfazed, it grabs her by the right leg and abdomen, its pincers piercing her flesh through her silk armor. Then it pulls her close and flies up towards the ceiling of the room. The ceiling isn't that high -- the creature's still in reach of anyone seeking to strike it, but Ren's feet are five feet off the ground. Ren grunts with pain and growls at the thing, her eyes literally shining red with fury as blood starts to pool in her eyes.

Trystane, the battlefly nearest you lashes out with two pincers, one of which pinches and penetrates your right leg, drawing blood.

The battlefly you slashed, Tomás, feints with its pincers, then slams its barbed tail into your abdomen with a punishing blow. There's an excruciatingly painful burning in your muscles, forcing you to double over in pain. It's so intense that you don't think you'll be able to move until it subsides. It must have injected you with something.

Stanles grimaces, though it's hard to tell with his ruined face. He gestures and seems to struggle more with the casting of the spell, but his bluish-silver Wizard's Rapier manifests in his hand. He lunges, piercing the battlefly that paralyzed Tomás. It utters a strangled shriek and collapses to the ground, its wings still.


OOC: Trystane takes 3 Disposition, now 10/15. Ren takes 7 Disposition, now 0/7. She's going to start taking damage directly to Health. Tomás takes 9 Disposition, now 2/12. Health save fails; Tomás is incapacitated for 1 round. Stanles takes 1 point of Willpower damage, now 4/5, to cast a Corrupted Spell. Stanles kills the wounded Z3.

Caldwell is up!

Map:
Spoiler: Show

Rolls:
Spoiler: Show
Ren attack; damage; hit location: 1d20 6 1d6 2 2#1d6 2 1
Z1 attacks Trystane: 1d20+2 4 1d20+2 16 1d6 5 1d6 3 2#1d6 5 2 2#1d6...
Z2 attacks Ren: 1d20+2 13 1d20+2 22 1d6 6 1d6 1 2#1d6 3 4 2#1d6...
Z3 tail attacks Tomás: 1d20+2 15 1d10 9 2#1d6 3 6 1d20 13 1d4 1
Stanles spell control: 1d20 11 1d8 3 1d7 5 1d1000 527 1d4 3 1d6 1...
Stanles attack on Z3: 1d20+3 13 2d4+1 6 2#1d6 4 4

OOC: Stanles Lear - Wizard Sword L1, +3 to hit, 2d4+1 damage | Remaining Duration: 2 turns | Corrupted
 

Tedster

Vigilante of Love
Validated User
Adrenaline surges through Caldwell's body as he roars in agony from the ray of fire that engulfs him. But even as it sears his clothes and flesh, the physical anguish actually serves as a sort of awakening for the disciple of Yuhannah, jarring him from the deluge of fear and disbelief over all that he has experienced in the last few minutes.

He turns to face the creatures as the flames dissipate, his holy symbol now flaunted before the battleflies like a brandished weapon.

"Claves Absque Septem Crines Nexos!"

OOC: Abjuration vs battleflies: 2d6+1 13 Bam!
 
Top Bottom