• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC [The Nightmares Underneath] Byzantium: Nightmares Undreamed Of

Lysus

Unbelievably Fancy Ostrich
Validated User
Amata + Caldwell
Two days later


After your excursions and the evening that follows, another day passes. You each get some rest. Bruises and emotional wounds heal. Fatigue lessens. You feel more yourself again.

On the following morning, a message arrives through the usual channels (what are those, again?):

I have spoken to the person who first made me aware of the Incursion, and have determined that I must return to the painter's home. I have paintings to recover and things to dispose of. If you wish to accompany me, I intend to enter at noon today. Perhaps there is something to find in the light of day that could not be found when the abode was ensorcelled.

Yours,
Lear


OOC: Disposition: Amata, Caldwell, Stanles + psychic armor: 2d6 9 2d6 11 2d6 8 2d6 5

Amata 9/9, Caldwell 11/11, Stanles 8/8 (5/5)
OOC: The best way to reach Amata is via dead drops - they're located all over the city. She follows an irregular schedule as to when she checks them. After all, it wouldn't do to be too predictable.


Despite the height of the sun, Amata manages to be hidden in the shadows outside the painter's house when Stanles arrives. Fortunately, he is familiar enough with her habits that he is not alarmed by her sudden appearance.
 

Rowenn552

Registered User
Validated User
OOC: Definitely. In fact, I'll have him talking about it when they hear about the battleflies.


"It was so strange, yet so...comforting. Like the cat just drew it all out. It looked like it had paint on its tongue after, but other than that, it was like nothing had happened to me. The cat didn't even seem to have needed to make any effort. It was amazing. The man we were talking to called it by an odd name that seemed to mean something to Caldwell though. Drummond Clive. Does that mean anything to you?"

What stops Trystane is noticing Tom listening to the description going on nearby that sounds very much like the escaped battleflies.

"That sounds like the battleflies, Tom. We should do something. Are you feeling up to it?"
Tom listens on in wonderment, “Queer name for a cat I would think, Drummond Clive... I don’t recall it though. I wonder what it could’ve done for this?”

Tomás stretches his leg out with a slight groan and a wince.

“Bit tight still but Belle did work. At least it’s still attached. Trys, I’m glad you’re ok.”, Tom looks down at the table, “Nightmare... bad things my man, bad things can happen within.”

Eating on in silence for a time Tom picks up on a nearby conversation. Obviously not very subtle in his efforts to eavesdrop Trystane says what Tom is thinking.

“Aye, let’s step in shall we?”

Tom stands with some effort and a little help from a cane lended him by Carnegie and walks near the women, waiting for the right time to jump in.

“Ah ha! See Trystane, more talk of these flying creatures! Lobster like pincers and eyes of venom you say? My friend and I had heard similar tales from the Iron Helm district. Where did you say you heard these new sightings happening at? We’d very much like to avoid the area at night if they’re as terrifying as you report.”
 

Atlictoatl

Powered by the Apocryphal
Validated User
Eating on in silence for a time Tom picks up on a nearby conversation. Obviously not very subtle in his efforts to eavesdrop Trystane says what Tom is thinking.

“Aye, let’s step in shall we?”

Tom stands with some effort and a little help from a cane lended him by Carnegie and walks near the women, waiting for the right time to jump in.
As you approach, you both overhear them discussing other grim news.

"That baker you were talking about, is she dead?"
"Sarina? Aye, they found a trail of blood leading up to her door, and the men who went inside to have a look didn't come back out."
"!?! When was this?"
"I heard it this morning, on my way here."

This reminds you of something you heard a week ago, Tomás:

OOC:
In addition to that, a few people have said that Old Baraz went to the old, abandoned marketplace -- the one in the enclosed area under the hill that the painter Bashir al-Barati's house sits on, making the marketplace his basement, of sorts -- right before his granddaughter miraculously recovered from her illness. The beggar Darud is said to have been seen going there as well, just the other night, accompanied by the baker Sarina. Sarina's bakery has been closed for the last few days, which is unusual, and it's said her husband, Fardan (a skilled carpenter) hasn't been seeing going to or from his latest job in the wealthy district over the river.

~*~
“Ah ha! See Trystane, more talk of these flying creatures! Lobster like pincers and eyes of venom you say? My friend and I had heard similar tales from the Iron Helm district. Where did you say you heard these new sightings happening at? We’d very much like to avoid the area at night if they’re as terrifying as you report.”
The women are no strangers to tough men, Tomás, their clothes, callous demeanor, and fascination with the gory details of the streets giving away their nighttime profession, but they blanch as you approach. They gather their things and flee, one of them stumbling over her chair in her rush to avoid you.

Spoiler: Show
reaction: 2d6-3 2
 

Rowenn552

Registered User
Validated User
The women are no strangers to tough men, Tomás, their clothes, callous demeanor, and fascination with the gory details of the streets giving away their nighttime profession, but they blanch as you approach. They gather their things and flee, one of them stumbling over her chair in her rush to avoid you.
Tomás turns to Trystane and shrugs, “I have that effect on some people. Have I always since we’ve known each other?”, he frowns in though and shrugs again.

“Bah, no matter! Sounds like more is afoot in the Iron Helm as well and I’m sure the flies shouldn’t be too hard to track down. I had heard of the baker going missing as well as her husband but after encountering the crone and her husks I assumed that folks were making deals with their loved ones’ souls.”

Tom sighs, “To be quite honest with you Trys I’m not feeling the most tip top at the moment. Maybe we should finish our breakfast before rushing off and rousing the others?”

He drags that last ‘s’ out in a sort of playfully pleading way.
 

MixterAsh

CotTS Grand High Keetom
Validated User
Tomás turns to Trystane and shrugs, “I have that effect on some people. Have I always since we’ve known each other?”, he frowns in though and shrugs again.

“Bah, no matter! Sounds like more is afoot in the Iron Helm as well and I’m sure the flies shouldn’t be too hard to track down. I had heard of the baker going missing as well as her husband but after encountering the crone and her husks I assumed that folks were making deals with their loved ones’ souls.”

Tom sighs, “To be quite honest with you Trys I’m not feeling the most tip top at the moment. Maybe we should finish our breakfast before rushing off and rousing the others?”

He drags that last ‘s’ out in a sort of playfully pleading way.
"Of course, Tom. Whatever you need. Though next time, perhaps I ought to make the first approach. I cut a less imposing figure than yourself," Trystane replies as tactfully as he can, giving Tom a friendly pat on the shoulder.
 

Atlictoatl

Powered by the Apocryphal
Validated User
Trystane and Tomás, there are others sitting nearby who may have heard the beginnings of the women's conversation.

Tomás, you know where the shop of Sarina the baker lies... it's in the slums at the bottom of the hill behind Bashir al-Barati's house.
 

Atlictoatl

Powered by the Apocryphal
Validated User
There is no hesitation for Caldwell. Yuhannah is clearly not done with this painter's house yet. Once the necessary preparations are complete, he ventures out to meet Stanles and the others.
Despite the height of the sun, Amata manages to be hidden in the shadows outside the painter's house when Stanles arrives. Fortunately, he is familiar enough with her habits that he is not alarmed by her sudden appearance.
Amata + Caldwell (with Stanles)
Bashir al-Barati's place
Iron Helmet District


Stanles arrives fashionably a few minutes after noon outside al-Barati's home. He looks recovered. His adventuring gear looks as though it has been washed, though it's still well-worn. Even threadbare, in places. It even looks as though he's bathed; his hair isn't as greasy as it usually is. He's decked out with his usual dual pistols and rapier.

He nods to you both, and smiles at you, Amata. "I suspect the others are still recuperating. Let's proceed, shall we? They can meet us inside, if they later arrive."

He doesn't wait for an answer, striding up to the door and pushing it open. Light from the outside streams in through the front door, and the stairs are dappled with light from a window up at the landing. "Mind the lounge," he says as he notices the door on the left.

He looks around at the walls, peeking up the stairs, assessing the threat level of the place. Shrugging, he relaxes, walks nonchalantly down the hallway, and crouches down when he gets to the paintings stacked on the floor against the walls. He rifles through them, looking for something. "Damn. Did anyone think to bring a light?" he asks the corridor, his attention focused on the paintings.

The place feels like an abandoned home. It's eerie, in a completely normal, non-threatening way.
 

MixterAsh

CotTS Grand High Keetom
Validated User
Trystane glances around to try and identify if anyone near them also heard the conversation, taking care to look friendly and non-threatening.

OOC: Does this require a roll?
 

Atlictoatl

Powered by the Apocryphal
Validated User
Trystane glances around to try and identify if anyone near them also heard the conversation, taking care to look friendly and non-threatening.
There's a tradesman sitting by himself. He has a broad face and a nose that looks like it's been broken several times.

There's also a table of three. A woman, and what's probably her husband and a child around three years of age. The woman and child are strikingly attractive. The man has a blank stare. She is well-accessorized. He's muscular and athletic-looking.

Spoiler: Show
http://orokos.com/roll/728660: 1d3 1 1d4 3 12#1d100 46 93 12 15 6 6 7...
 

MixterAsh

CotTS Grand High Keetom
Validated User
Trystane whispers to Tom;

"You go have a word with that fellow. I'm going to speak with that family there."

He gestures subtly to each of the targets respectively.

With that, he pats Tom on the shoulder and saunters up to the family with a friendly smile.

"Hello there. Sorry to disturb you, but I was wondering if you happened to overhear the two women who just left. They were talking about a place my friend and I need to find."
 
Top Bottom