• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC [The Nightmares Underneath] Byzantium: Nightmares Undreamed Of

Lysus

Unbelievably Fancy Ostrich
Validated User
Amata + Caldwell
Two days later

After your excursions and the evening that follows, another day passes. You each get some rest. Bruises and emotional wounds heal. Fatigue lessens. You feel more yourself again.

On the following morning, a message arrives through the usual channels (what are those, again?):

I have spoken to the person who first made me aware of the Incursion, and have determined that I must return to the painter's home. I have paintings to recover and things to dispose of. If you wish to accompany me, I intend to enter at noon today. Perhaps there is something to find in the light of day that could not be found when the abode was ensorcelled.

Yours,
Lear

OOC: Disposition: Amata, Caldwell, Stanles + psychic armor: 2d6 9 2d6 11 2d6 8 2d6 5

Amata 9/9, Caldwell 11/11, Stanles 8/8 (5/5)
OOC: The best way to reach Amata is via dead drops - they're located all over the city. She follows an irregular schedule as to when she checks them. After all, it wouldn't do to be too predictable.

Despite the height of the sun, Amata manages to be hidden in the shadows outside the painter's house when Stanles arrives. Fortunately, he is familiar enough with her habits that he is not alarmed by her sudden appearance.

Rowenn552

Validated User
OOC: Definitely. In fact, I'll have him talking about it when they hear about the battleflies.

"It was so strange, yet so...comforting. Like the cat just drew it all out. It looked like it had paint on its tongue after, but other than that, it was like nothing had happened to me. The cat didn't even seem to have needed to make any effort. It was amazing. The man we were talking to called it by an odd name that seemed to mean something to Caldwell though. Drummond Clive. Does that mean anything to you?"

What stops Trystane is noticing Tom listening to the description going on nearby that sounds very much like the escaped battleflies.

"That sounds like the battleflies, Tom. We should do something. Are you feeling up to it?"
Tom listens on in wonderment, “Queer name for a cat I would think, Drummond Clive... I don’t recall it though. I wonder what it could’ve done for this?”

Tomás stretches his leg out with a slight groan and a wince.

“Bit tight still but Belle did work. At least it’s still attached. Trys, I’m glad you’re ok.”, Tom looks down at the table, “Nightmare... bad things my man, bad things can happen within.”

Eating on in silence for a time Tom picks up on a nearby conversation. Obviously not very subtle in his efforts to eavesdrop Trystane says what Tom is thinking.

“Aye, let’s step in shall we?”

Tom stands with some effort and a little help from a cane lended him by Carnegie and walks near the women, waiting for the right time to jump in.

“Ah ha! See Trystane, more talk of these flying creatures! Lobster like pincers and eyes of venom you say? My friend and I had heard similar tales from the Iron Helm district. Where did you say you heard these new sightings happening at? We’d very much like to avoid the area at night if they’re as terrifying as you report.”

Atlictoatl

Powered by the Apocryphal
Validated User
Eating on in silence for a time Tom picks up on a nearby conversation. Obviously not very subtle in his efforts to eavesdrop Trystane says what Tom is thinking.

“Aye, let’s step in shall we?”

Tom stands with some effort and a little help from a cane lended him by Carnegie and walks near the women, waiting for the right time to jump in.
As you approach, you both overhear them discussing other grim news.

"That baker you were talking about, is she dead?"
"Sarina? Aye, they found a trail of blood leading up to her door, and the men who went inside to have a look didn't come back out."
"!?! When was this?"
"I heard it this morning, on my way here."

This reminds you of something you heard a week ago, Tomás:

OOC:
In addition to that, a few people have said that Old Baraz went to the old, abandoned marketplace -- the one in the enclosed area under the hill that the painter Bashir al-Barati's house sits on, making the marketplace his basement, of sorts -- right before his granddaughter miraculously recovered from her illness. The beggar Darud is said to have been seen going there as well, just the other night, accompanied by the baker Sarina. Sarina's bakery has been closed for the last few days, which is unusual, and it's said her husband, Fardan (a skilled carpenter) hasn't been seeing going to or from his latest job in the wealthy district over the river.

~*~
“Ah ha! See Trystane, more talk of these flying creatures! Lobster like pincers and eyes of venom you say? My friend and I had heard similar tales from the Iron Helm district. Where did you say you heard these new sightings happening at? We’d very much like to avoid the area at night if they’re as terrifying as you report.”
The women are no strangers to tough men, Tomás, their clothes, callous demeanor, and fascination with the gory details of the streets giving away their nighttime profession, but they blanch as you approach. They gather their things and flee, one of them stumbling over her chair in her rush to avoid you.

Spoiler: Show
reaction: 2d6-3 2

Rowenn552

Validated User
The women are no strangers to tough men, Tomás, their clothes, callous demeanor, and fascination with the gory details of the streets giving away their nighttime profession, but they blanch as you approach. They gather their things and flee, one of them stumbling over her chair in her rush to avoid you.
Tomás turns to Trystane and shrugs, “I have that effect on some people. Have I always since we’ve known each other?”, he frowns in though and shrugs again.

“Bah, no matter! Sounds like more is afoot in the Iron Helm as well and I’m sure the flies shouldn’t be too hard to track down. I had heard of the baker going missing as well as her husband but after encountering the crone and her husks I assumed that folks were making deals with their loved ones’ souls.”

Tom sighs, “To be quite honest with you Trys I’m not feeling the most tip top at the moment. Maybe we should finish our breakfast before rushing off and rousing the others?”

He drags that last ‘s’ out in a sort of playfully pleading way.

MixterAsh

CotTS Grand High Keetom
Validated User
Tomás turns to Trystane and shrugs, “I have that effect on some people. Have I always since we’ve known each other?”, he frowns in though and shrugs again.

“Bah, no matter! Sounds like more is afoot in the Iron Helm as well and I’m sure the flies shouldn’t be too hard to track down. I had heard of the baker going missing as well as her husband but after encountering the crone and her husks I assumed that folks were making deals with their loved ones’ souls.”

Tom sighs, “To be quite honest with you Trys I’m not feeling the most tip top at the moment. Maybe we should finish our breakfast before rushing off and rousing the others?”

He drags that last ‘s’ out in a sort of playfully pleading way.
"Of course, Tom. Whatever you need. Though next time, perhaps I ought to make the first approach. I cut a less imposing figure than yourself," Trystane replies as tactfully as he can, giving Tom a friendly pat on the shoulder.

Atlictoatl