• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

The Ongoing Nintendo Thread II: Now Available in Exciting Neon Colors OR Dreary Grey!

6inTruder

Oscars are Duche!
Validated User
So . . . Is anyone else here playing Dead Cells? I bought it a couple weeks back based on Jim Sterling’s recommendation and really love it! The weapon upgrades & unlocks give it a bit of an FTL vibe.

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
On that note, has anyone been playing Warioware Gold? Because I got it a few weeks ago and got all the unlocks. Its a lot of fun.

Isator Levie

Validated User
I managed to break 1000 first place wins in online multiplayer for Mario Kart.

I was quite pleased with how the counter rolled over to four digits.

Gojira

in a rubber monster suit
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I just started Hollow Knight. Jury still out on that. There's a lot to like but I'm finding the need to buy all your map functions to be repetitive and a little unfun. The game (and its individual levels) could use a little more sense of direction.

Aspeon

Validated User
I just started Hollow Knight. Jury still out on that. There's a lot to like but I'm finding the need to buy all your map functions to be repetitive and a little unfun. The game (and its individual levels) could use a little more sense of direction.
Part of any Metroidvania is things kind of sucking until you get some core abilities, but Hollow Knight takes that further than most.

I picked up Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate yesterday. Having fun, but it gives me a better appreciation of just how much World added to the series.

Last edited:

taleswapper

Social Justice Lazy Warlord
Validated User
So . . . Is anyone else here playing Dead Cells? I bought it a couple weeks back based on Jim Sterling’s recommendation and really love it! The weapon upgrades & unlocks give it a bit of an FTL vibe.
I am currently loving Dead Cells as well. It's great for my commute. There are a lot of objectives to shoot for in the various blueprints, upgrades, timed doors, etc. and the basic gameplay loop is just fun and can easily be tackled in bite-sized chunks as necessary.

I got Hollow Knight when it came out on Switch and I loved it. There are still a couple of things I could go back for, but I've set it aside for now in order to play some other things. Once you get the maps for the various areas it gets way more fun (in my experience). And if you end up stumbling upon the boss for the area before you find the map seller, you can always go buy the map from his wife in her shop.

Isator Levie

Validated User
Damn, why am I so fixated on this thread title? It's just a little wink and nudge...

Anyway, my time with Xenoblade is continuing to go well. I actually managed to get into fights with monsters that are several levels higher than me, and between good combinations of Blades and various kinds of enhancing item, managing to beat them handily.

But not trivially. It actually hit a very sweet spot in terms of the sense of challenge; damage output that would be just high enough to create a sense of tension and warrant the need to properly time things like healing, but not so rapid that it feels like things are running away from me. And being able to maximize damage with the right kinds of combination attacks to really tear through heightened health bars and defences.

I've never actually commented on it before, but I actually really like the way that healing functions in this game, both in the manner in which Healer class Blades will have dedicated moves and buffs for it, and that the sequence of Break/Topple/Launch/Smash generates healing potions. It has both the nice sense of opportunity cost in a few of the healing types (since those potions are something that somebody will often have to chase after, pulling them away from being able to autoattack), and it's fun to assemble a party in terms of having complementary Blades that can generate an engine of healing to counteract an enemy with a high damage output. Similar with reviving fallen team mates, which takes up portions of the Party Gauge, both a limited resource in its own right and something that you need to build up so that you can pull off the most damaging attacks.

It's a lot more fun than other games, where by the later stages one is liable to have enough cash to buy more healing items than they need, rendering a lot of combat trivial.

Top Bottom