• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

The Saga Thread

Aesthete

A for Aeffort
Validated User
I just bought the new Saga books and have been reading them, and I have a question:

A lot of the battle boards have the thing (I don't recall what it's called, and I don't have the board in front of me) in the upper right corner where you put a saga die (with the (6) rare symbol) and it let's you take two saga dice and roll them, then you place them in your "inactive pool".

I can't figure out whether you can then place them immediately from the "inactive pool" to where ever you want on the board, or whether they sit in the "inactive pool" ready to be placed next turn....

Do you know?

Anopheles

I draw bugs
Validated User
The Activation Pool is what you're looking for.

The ability is used in the Orders phase, so during the phase you're placing Saga dice for your turn. You can decide to use it and add the two dice to your inactive dice pool any time during your Orders phase. Those are added to your inactive dice then and there, for use in that Orders phase.

If you want, you could leave it on there and use next turn (or like if you have an other ability that allows you to generate Saga dice during your opponent's turn; note though you can't actually use the Activation Pool during your opponent's turn, as it's not an Orders/Reaction ability). Also good to guarantee you have that rare die ready when you need extra dice in a future turn.

Also, yay Saga thread!

Aesthete

A for Aeffort
Validated User
Got it. Thanks for answering.

So looking at the non-world specific rule book, they had fantasy and Samurai pictures as illustration in addition to the Crusades and Dark Ages ones. Is there any word on when we can expect those? They also mentioned a battle scenarios book of some sort...

Anopheles

I draw bugs
Validated User
There was talk about doing more 'eras' for Saga. They have discussed Asian and Fantasy 'eras', as well as Later Medieval Europe like the Hundred Years War. I'd love to see what they could do with Japan, Korea, China, etc. No word that I have seen about when those are coming out.

I hope the scenarios book comes out soon. We've been adapting scenarios from the last edition, but it is annoying that the game comes with just a single 'official' scenario.

Gideon

Validated User
Yeah, from what I heard the scenario book is out next.

Then we have in no particular order: Fantasy, Oriental, one other Age.

I really like the format of the small core book, and then more detailed 12 board Age books. Much better than the pretty much opposite format of first ed.

I also like the new rules more. It all seems that little bit tidier and less fiddly, and there seems to be a bit less room for confusion and ambiguity over how the various boards interact.

I especially like the new rule that any dice left hanging on you board at the beginning of your turn can stay without counting towards your dice total.

I just got the Crusades book but haven't managed to play it yet. I've put together (out of my existing crusades armies) a camel-based Mutawwi'a band and a Crusader band which can go pilgrim-heavy, or knight-heavy.

One thing we noticed, not sure if it's just us, coz I haven't seen other complaints on the net, that the Welsh warband is almost impossible to engage, and can consistently win through an awful, tedious, slow retreat against almost any band. I played my Strathclyde all-mounted Welsh a few times and managed to keep it out of harm, and just chip away at my opponent, in a very shameful and cowardly manner. And then he played his mostly foot Welsh army a couple of times against my bands and managed to pull off the same thing. So we agreed never to play them again. This was kind of annoying coz my Strathclydes had all been done with proxies, while I painted my real warband, and by the time I'd finished it (well, it's not quite finished, atm) we'd banned it.

Anopheles

I draw bugs
Validated User
One thing we noticed, not sure if it's just us, coz I haven't seen other complaints on the net, that the Welsh warband is almost impossible to engage, and can consistently win through an awful, tedious, slow retreat against almost any band. I played my Strathclyde all-mounted Welsh a few times and managed to keep it out of harm, and just chip away at my opponent, in a very shameful and cowardly manner. And then he played his mostly foot Welsh army a couple of times against my bands and managed to pull off the same thing. So we agreed never to play them again. This was kind of annoying coz my Strathclydes had all been done with proxies, while I painted my real warband, and by the time I'd finished it (well, it's not quite finished, atm) we'd banned it.
Sadly this has my group's experience. The Welsh used to be slippery and favored avoidance. Now they're practically untouchable if played right. Three reactive abilities means your opponent cannot ever engage you on their terms. Javelins everywhere for free extra kills. My poor Welsh have been sidelined since no one wants to fight them anymore.

I had one game where I nearly wiped out a Norman warband (5 Crossbowmen left I think) for the loss of 3 Hearthguard. Every time he moved in to attack, I either retreated or javelined them into oblivion. Hugging terrain meant his superior speed was worthless against my foot. Hard to say how you properly fight the Welsh right now. I wonder if scenarios will balance that out. In the previous edition, the Welsh struggled in scenarios where they had to be somewhere and/or hold something. It's harder to be slippery when your opponent knows you have to come out of cover or get closer to enemies.

Anopheles

I draw bugs
Validated User
The FAQ tones down javelins somewhat. They can still get a free throw after moving, but only in their own turn and only once each turn. My Welsh might be fun to play against now.

Anopheles

I draw bugs
Validated User
Last week a friend and I played Saga: Age of Crusades. We both wanted to try out some of the factions for the first time. I played Pagan Peoples and my opponent was Saracens. Was this a Saracen foray into Northern Europe, or another raid by some pagan tribe into the Turkish frontier?

I hadn't ever tried the Pagans before, so it was a learning experience. We played a standard 6-point Clash of Warlords scenario. Pagans had a Warlord, 4 Hearthguard (with big axes), 24 Warriors, 8 more with bows, and 12 Levy with javelins, while the Saracens had mounted Warlord, 8 mounted Hearthguard (spear), 24 Warriors, and 12 bow Levy.

The scenario spread our forces out into broad fronts facing each other. The fight began quickly with my small groups of Warriors and javelin Levy breaking the Saracen left flank, while my forces slowly moved through the center woods. After a few more turns of pushing the Saracen foot back, my opponent unleashed his Hearthgaurd. The ghulams destroyed 2 Pagan units in one turn, and my forward unit got crushed by remaining Saracen foot, putting my force on the defensive. The Pagan Warlord counterattacked, rushing the depleted unit of Hearthguard, destroying them, while the Pagan Hearthguard massacred the Saracen foot. After that the Saracens didn't have enough men left and retreated.

I enjoyed the Pagan board, their rules favoring a bunch of small 6-man units (they get an ability to activate up to 3 6-man units with a rare die), and most of their bonus abilities only work on 6-man units. The don't get to ignore terrain like Welsh (only one ability giving them a charge through terrain), but they do like hanging around rough ground for various bonuses. I subbed my Anglo-Saxons and Welsh for the Pagan Peoples for this game, but I plan on expanding to a full warband.

Last edited:

Ogrob

Validated User
I played my Irish for the first time yesterday and found them very enjoyable. I have only played defensive-minded warbands in SAGA before, but a pro-active battleboard is really a huge difference.

Really do like the look of the baltic pagans, but I think I might go a little further from the irish play style when I settle on a crusades warband.

Top Bottom