• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

The Saga Thread

Anopheles

I draw bugs
Validated User
While the Age of Magic book has been delayed (apparently they were blindsided by demand), my local group is abuzz.

Based off models I’ve already done for Saga and other games, I can field every AoM faction, with only a few additions or rebasings.

-Orcs & Goblins, or just Saga Vikings (The Horde)
-Poles (Great Kingdoms; currently pondering bear cavalry or werebears as my Creatures)
-Tomb Kings (Undead; they even have a Egyptian Undead variant list should I decide I want chariots)
-Moonclan Goblins or Skaven (Underearth)
-House Nasier from Wrath of Kings (Otherworld; glad I can get some use out of these lovely models. This is the army I’ll actually have to paint a fair amount for since I had painted only enough for the ‘skirmish’ scale WoK games)
-Welsh (Masters of the Wild; not the best fit, since the Welsh have javelins instead of the bows the Wild encourages, but would love to field a big red Welsh dragon)

At my store we’ve had a lot of interest, with new players appearing, dusty armies returned to the table.

Scutarii

Validated User
How compatible is the fantasy stuff with Historicals? Could you play Rus vs Orcs?

Gideon

Validated User
I've played a few games this week and really loving it.

I painted a half-finished GW High Elf army for my Kingdoms and have got hold of some lions, from the chariot, which I will make into Beasts.

I had a load of Goblins anyway so can make all sorts of Horde armies. And I've touched up some old GW Daemons to make an Otherword faction, still need to paint some more to get some decent choices.

I read the Undead board and immediately decided to do some Tomb Kings. I had a small band of TK figures that I just used for roleplaying, but I found 45 unpainted plastic spear infantry, which will be perfect for a all-warrior replenishment-spam faction, which sounds really fun, if a bit annoying to play against.

I have a bunch of Dwarfs lying around and could probably make an Underworld faction if it was mostly war machines and hearthguards.

I don't really have anything for the Wild.

I'm kinda surprised at how much old GW stuff I had lying around, and very pleased to be making use of them.

Gideon

Validated User
How compatible is the fantasy stuff with Historicals? Could you play Rus vs Orcs?
Haven't tried that. But the underlying rules are all the same, and the relative strengths of units are the same, so I don't see any reason why you couldn't. If anything I feel the fantasy battle boards are a bit under-powered compared to the historical boards, perhaps. I get the feeling they were trying to keep stuff simple and straight-forward with the fantasy boards coz of all the other added complexity (like spells and more units). Sorcerors cost a point, and you buy them coz it's fantasy. But actually they might feel a bit expensive in a six point game against a non-magic faction.

Ogrob

Validated User
Not really as far as I understand, still waiting for my books. You could easily use your Rus for an Age of Magic faction though.

Anopheles

I draw bugs
Validated User
While the factions are all compatible, they do warn that the different eras might not be balanced against each other. They said different eras don’t get as much testing against others.

I’ve seen some weird combinations of abilities, and some factions don’t have any counters or responses to some cross-era boards. AoM vs Viking-era might have those same problems. Lack of Magic for some factions might be trouble.

Anopheles

I draw bugs
Validated User
Do we know if they're planning to do custom dice for each of the factions?
Yes, they have ‘Order’ dice for Great Kingdons, Underearth, and Masters of the Wild, ‘Chaos’ dice for Horde, Undead, and Otherworld, and a set of generic ‘Magic’ dice.

Gideon

Validated User
Just read the official rules on this and they say

Even more than other Saga universes, the AoM is a stand-alone universe. Although it is mechanically possible to pit historical and fantastical armies against one another the mix will be rather explosive. We prefer to recommend that players with historical armies explore the possibility of transposing their armies into imaginary worlds.

Top Bottom