• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

The Saga Thread

Anopheles

I draw bugs
Validated User
Another Age of Magic game, with my Orcs once again taking to the field as the Horde, while a friend's beautifully painted Ancient Greeks as Great Kingdoms. We played the Change of Plans scenario, which has VP generation changing over the course of the game: Kills the first 3 turns, surviving troops turn 4-5, and then held ground turn 6.

The Horde were the same as before, while the Greeks were Warlord (Zeus!), 8 Hearthguard Hoplites, 8 Warriors Hoplites, 12 Levy Greek archers, 3 Gorgon Sisters (Creatures), Sorceress, Gryphon (Scourge Monster), and a Paladin (Hero mounted on a Pegasus).

The Horde of course advanced en masse, while the Great Kingdoms turtled up for counter-charges.

Highlights of the game:

-The Sorceress pushed her luck with a spell turn 1. It zapped 2 Orc Hearthguard, but she exploded from the exertion.
-With a combination of a Horde movement ability and spell, the Orc Titan launched across the table to engage the Greek Hoplites. However, poor rolls from the Titan and tons of bonus defense dice for the Greeks meant he bounced, and was then beaten down and shot in short order.
-The Brutes killed a unit of Greek Hearthguard and fought the Greek Paladin. They eventually died, but Goblin arrow fire brought down the exhausted Paladin.
-Some Orc Warriors jumped on the Gorgons, exhausting them; this kept them out of action for most of the game.
-The Orc Warlord held off a couple charges from Greek Warriors, before archer fire and Zeus himself stomped him dead.

In the end, poor dice rolling and careful defensive abilities meant the Horde was defeated.

Next, I'm working on some more Goblins for my Moonclan so I can have them fielded as Masters of the Underearth.

Gideon

Validated User
Thanks for that. Even though I've played a bunch of games of AoM, I haven't tried anything but the corebook scenario. There's so much going on still, I'm happy not to have the headache of working out different victory conditions.

I love the idea of For the Horde! and Stoke Fury on a Titan. My Kingdoms warband had a Titan but it was so slow it never really got involved. I'm thinking now of reclassifying my Hordes Behemoth as a Titan.

The Kingdoms board is a nightmare for defensive abilities. It can withstand a lot with Repel the Shadows, Shield of Bravery, and Exhortation, and then Laying on Hands. It's hard to know whether to go 'big' against them, or to go 'little and often.'

I tried out a couple of War Chariots last night, and although they're expensive, and to be fair, got quite lucky, they definitely did a job for me.

Last edited:

Anopheles

I draw bugs
Validated User
I ran my monthly Saga Day at my FLGS, leading some demo games for new players. First up was Anglo-Danes vs Vikings. One player only had one game under his belt, while the other had never played. They had fun, with one player even buying the rules right after.

After that we ran an Age of Magic game for the same players. One used my Polish army as Great Kingdoms, while the other player was using his hodgepodge of Chaos models as Otherworld. Poles had mounted Warlord, Sorcerer, 6 mounted Hearthguard, 8 mounted Warriors, 8 foot Warriors, 12 bow Levy, 12 crossbow Levy, and 3 Creatures. Chaos had Warlord, Sorcerer, 4 Hearthguard, 8 flying Warriors, 24 foot Warriors, a Behemoth, and a Scourge. To keep it simple we did a basic Clash of Warlords scenario.

The Poles player defied expectations, taking the initiative and charging out to engage Chaos very quickly. Chaos attempted some counter attacks but they were on their back foot for most of the game. Chaos did Portal the Behemoth right into the center of the table, killing lots of Hearthguard, which almost turned the tide. The Polish Vodyanoi (the Creatures) tanked several rounds of combat and shooting, but they eventually were killed by the Scourge.

We found magic was a serious concern. The Blinding spell from the Light school shut down 3 separate Chaos activations, and the Elemental Barrier and Shielding buffed the Polish front line, keeping them alive through repeated Chaos attacks. The Polish player attempted several maximum effect spells, but dodged any damage from the backlash table. On the other hand, the Chaos Sorcerer's spells fizzled before the Polish Hearthguard ran her over.

Gideon

Validated User
Excellent. I'm having trouble making the Otherworld work. Or even seeing it work. I think often the models and the feel make people think they are a pile in and crush the mortals type of army, but actually they're more of a tricky, stand back, and harass type of army. But just coz I've realised that, doesn't mean I've actually made them effective.

I'd never thought of it, but now you've done it, it's so obvious that GW trolls are Vodyanoi. I'm working on a plan to have all my Saga historical warbands become AoM armies. I have the notion that they will use their historical BB, but have access to all the AoM troop types and spells. I imagine there will be some real balance issues, but I'm gonna see what happens. My Anglo-Danes have become a spider cult (for no better reason than I have some spider models) and I have some GW trolls, so, that's my Poles sorted.

Anopheles

I draw bugs
Validated User
In that battle the Poles used Great Kingdoms. Your Anglo-Danes could use that board with little change. The historical boards are most likely not balanced with the AoM ones, especially as they have specific faction feel rather than the much more generic archetype boards. Adding spells might really complicate matters.

I’ve been able to get in games with The Horde and Great Kingdoms, but I do want to develop armies for the others eventually. Not enough time and opponents! Lots of people are getting into AoM but there’s the lag time of them working on armies.

The Otherworld look like a finesse army. They have some great combat abilities and bonus shooting, but their strength lies in their maneuverability. With the whole army potentially flying and the Portal ability, I imagine they’ll do well in scenarios requiring careful positioning. In the game I detailed the Chaos Behemoth Portaled from the back line to the middle of the table, instantly threatening the Polish line. The player was too new to really grock his board (and I was helping the new players but trying not to backseat them) so didn’t really take advantage of this maneuverability.

Anopheles

I draw bugs
Validated User
Some pics from this weeks games. In the first, my Goblins (Underearth) faced Voodoo Orcs (Undead with Orc figures). My poor gobbos got crushed with minimum loses. Bad attack and defense dice on my part versus my friend's amazing rolls (and the Undead battleboard, which I'm not sure how to deal with) spelled the Moonsclan's doom.

The Moonclan had a Warlord with great weapon (his faithful squig), 9 crossbow Warriors, 17 spear Warriors, 12 bow Levy, 3 Trolls (bipedal Creatures), a Cave Scorpion (Behemoth), a Destruction team (gobbo tossing bombs), and a Sorcerer. Undead had Warlord (upgraded to Nercomancer), 6 mounted Hearthguard (this game played by wolves), 24 bow Warriors, 16 sword Warriors, and 3 Displacer Beasts (flying Creatures). The defensive abilities that Undead can use are amazing (as were my friend's saves), and my own were worthless with my die rolls. Nothing can help you when your units count as being in cover and reroll 1's and 2's and STILL die in droves from poor dice. This was my first game with the Undereath, so still getting the hang of them.

After that we did another game, this time with my Moonclan facing the Orcs, using the Masters of the Wild rules. I used the same force, but the Orcs were Warlord (bow), 16 Hearthguard (bow), 8 Warriors (bow), a Swarm unit, and a Wyvern (Scourge). Once again my Goblins faced a gunline opponent, which went as expected. Between piles of shooting dice and magic that summoned forests out of nowhere every turn, the Goblins could never get a proper footing and just got cut down in waves. The Wild ability to summon a Titan out of the terrain held up my right flank, almost killing the Scorpion repeatedly and forcing my Goblin soldiers back. After my Trolls died in a flurry of no saves in combat versus the first Hearthguard unit, I figured it was pointless to continue.

We played the skirmish scenarios, which usually favor killy armies; gunlines might suffer in scenarios where they have to actually cross the table for objectves. As it happened, both games my opponent was able to just sit back and gun down anything that got close, and then in the case of the Undead, tank repeated charges. One ability grants a unit of Undead Warriors or Levies Resilience 4, which allows them to absorb 12 wounds before casualties. Not sure how to deal with that.

Gideon

Validated User
Ha, yeah, the Undead are annoying. I've been wiping out my foes quite comfortably with them, whatever their rolls. I did play a game against a semi-newbie player and gave him my undead, while I had Kingdoms, and I did manage to win that comfortably. But I did it ruthlessly against someone who wasn't familiar with the board, just to see if it could be done, coz the undead feel very strong. I felt bad afterwards, but just wanted to see how it could be done.

I played against Wild last week and lost. The Rise of the Spirits seems massively powerful, although it takes a lot of dice to get the titan moving as well as summoned. But it didn't seem to matter as my opponent's army was happy to just stand there and watch as I was beaten up by a wood. And after I thought I'd dealt with it he just played Verdant Awakening and we did it all again.

Also, my opponent made very good use of Animal Prowess. I thought Laying on Hands was probably a decent fatigue remover, but AP is amazing if you get a rare, especially as my opponent was rolling 4 magic dice for the one spell and got the Max result a couple of times.

Top Bottom