• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

The Saga Thread

enoto

E, not O.
Validated User
Another way to do this, is to just print out a bunch of chits with the relevant symbols on, and then after rolling standard dice, exchange those for the corresponding chits. I find this easier than putting standard dice on the battle board.
After mulling it over, I like this idea -- I'd just need to print and cut 8 of each symbol per faction plus chits for the magic dice, which sounds a lot better than cutting 168 stickers and putting them on dice. :) Thanks!

Anopheles

I draw bugs
Validated User
Anyone know where I can get a printable set of Age of Magic dice? Studio Tomahawk has an image of all the die faces here, so I could whip something up with that, but my image editing skills are miserable so figured I'd ask first. :)

I'm finally getting Saga v2 on the table tomorrow! I have lots of the pre-painted Confrontation Age of Ragnarok minis, and used them to throw together 4- and 6-point lists for Great Kingdoms (Griffin) and Otherworlds (Scorpion). Super excited!
Awesome. Let us know how it goes.

Aesthete

A for Aeffort
Validated User
Another way to do this, is to just print out a bunch of chits with the relevant symbols on, and then after rolling standard dice, exchange those for the corresponding chits. I find this easier than putting standard dice on the battle board.
Oooh! I like your thinking.

enoto

E, not O.
Validated User
Awesome. Let us know how it goes.
Welp, our game got cancelled because of an ER visit... we rescheduled but that got canceled due to a car accident...

Fortunately everybody's OK but it might be some time before I get in that Saga game after all :)

Gideon

Validated User
I'm just off to play Saga in the BHGS Britcon tournament in Manchester. 9 games in 2 days seems like an awful lot. I'm bringing Moors which I've not really played before (just 1 game), so am expecting to get massacred.

Anyone else going?

Anopheles

I draw bugs
Validated User
That's outstanding!
I know right? It was an honor for my boyz to be destroyed by this army.

On a separate note, I've managed to get 3 players into Saga recently. Two were new players, and the third was an old player of 1st edition who hadn't played in years. I played him today in a good old Normans vs Anglo-Danes 4-point fight. It was his first game of 2nd ed, so I sort of coached him through the game.

His Normans had mounted Warlord, 8 mounted earthguard (split into 2 units of 4), 8 mounted Warriors (also split into 4's) and 12 bow Levy. My Anglo-Danes had Warlord w/ Dane Axe, 4 Dane Axe Hearthguard, 16 Warriors, and 12 bow Levy. We decimated each other, with only our Levies left intact. I had a single Warrior left, which pitched the VP's 1 point in my favor. As usual the farmers returned to their homes after watching the nobility and their goons slaughter each other...

Anopheles

I draw bugs
Validated User
I ran another Saga Day at the FLGS this week. Here are pics from one of the games- Vikings versus Carolingians. The Danes had landed and were going about some proper looting of a plantation somewhere in Francia, only to draw the ire of the Franks.

We played the Tale Of Challenges scenario. In this scenario, the fight follows Massacre VP's, but the players must also issue challenges chosen from a list. The challenges are worth bonus VP's if you can succeed, but cost you VP's if you fail. The Carolingians boasted they would kill my Warlord and take the vineyard back (ie. get at least 3 units of 4 models into the Viking side of the table). The Vikings, being equally boastful, declared that their Warlord would not lay down and die, nor would any Frank units get within 6" of their table edge. I opted to take one more challenge, to kill the enemy unit worth the most VP's, in this case the Frankish Hearthguard Knights.

Deployment, with Vikings at the bottom, Carolingians at the top. Carolingians had mounted Warlord, 8 mounted Hearthguard, 24 Warriors w/ spear, and 8 Warriors w/ bow. The Vikings had a Warlord, 8 Hearthguard, 24 Warriors, and 12 bow Levy. We each had a unit of Warriors to the extreme right, facing off through a vineyard..

My friend's nicely painted Normans stood in as Carolingians.

The Vikings lets loose arrows and sent the Hearthguard forward to crush the Frankish center. They pushed back one spear unit, then after taking some arrow fire, annihilated the Frankish bowmen.

Vikings looting the villa's livestock. From beyond the woods they can hear the thunder of hooves...

The Frankish Hearthguard and Warlord swing wide to the Viking flank. They would end up crushing the first enemy unit they met, but were dragged down in the counter-attack. The Viking abilities to drop armor for more combat dice, or even just discard men for even more dice, means a doomed unit can take the enemy with them. Viking challenged succeeded!

Frankish Warriors advance through the vineyard. They would come under repeated bow fire from the Viking thralls as they sought cover in the vines. In the last turn the Vikings charged into the vineyard, and the rows ran with more than grape juice.

The Frankish Warlord charges the nearest Viking Warrior unit. He managed to almost destroy them- one survivor fell back, leaving him exhausted. Moments later the survivor committed himself to Valhalla and charged. He dragged the Frank from his horse as he died. This protected the Viking deployment zone from incursion. Viking challenge succeeded!

In the end, we didn't bother to total the VP's, as just by challenges alone the Vikings were far ahead. They had succeeded in all three challenges. The last, the Viking Warlord surviving the battle, was accomplished with shrewd (some may say 'ahem' cowardly) placement amongst his men. The Franks were unable to win any of their challenges, and in the end were not even able to produce Saga dice. Vikings win!

This was the first time my friend had used the Carolingians on the table. While they were pretty complex to suss out, he was liking them. They can pull off some cool maneuvers, and some of their combat buffs are nice, but he found they were Saga dice hungry. Since you need to hold 2-3 in their Proleum (sp) power stat to buff their other abilities, you might lack enough dice to really take advantage. The Vikings on the other hand are dead simple, with a few dirty tricks and tons of combat buffs.

Top Bottom