• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

The Sandman TV series: a Netflix original

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
Yeah, a near-Death experience that Wanda ultimately survives, and maybe even a bit of sympathy/explanation on the part of Thessaly, seem like changes one could make to deliver the message more subtly.

Kakita Kojiro

IL-series Cylon
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Barbie visiting Wanda's awful relatives for her funeral and seeing how horrible they continue to be even after her death is a powerful sequence, which wouldn't work the same way if Wanda was there.

One of the themes of Sandman is how awful, horrible things happen and you just have to change in response to them and carry on. Barbie's reaction to Wanda's death is the start of an example of that -- and it's later reflected in how Morpheus chooses to deal with the death of Orpheus. It's something central to the overall narrative, so won't be easy to change even though it looks like it should be so when looked at in isolation.

Taraqual

Words words words
Validated User
Barbie visiting Wanda's awful relatives for her funeral and seeing how horrible they continue to be even after her death is a powerful sequence, which wouldn't work the same way if Wanda was there.

One of the themes of Sandman is how awful, horrible things happen and you just have to change in response to them and carry on. Barbie's reaction to Wanda's death is the start of an example of that -- and it's later reflected in how Morpheus chooses to deal with the death of Orpheus. It's something central to the overall narrative, so won't be easy to change even though it looks like it should be so when looked at in isolation.
Sure. But the thing is, we have plenty of media where the death of someone of Group X helps teach the survivor (usually a white cishet protagonist) something important about the world and inspires them to change to be better. And it is a powerful sequence in the comics, as is Barbie's reaction. I just think that we have lots of stories where the dead lesbian/gay/trans/black/asian/othered-person inspired this kind of reflection and character growth and maybe we have room now for stories where that person doesn't have to be dead for this to happen.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
Perhaps it's a case where the shenanigans of the storm have Wanda reported as dead, or (if you want to really turn up the awfulness) just make it so nobody in Wanda's hometown wants to admit she exists.

Tyrmatfrage

Validated User
Or the whole town is destroyed by the storm, with Wanda presumed dead.

Then we find out Wanda survived, and is traveling with two other girls...

Then we find out the name of the town is Arcadia Bay.

Leif

Mountain Ape
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Or for that matter they could do a flash-forward scene to whenever Wanda does die of something or other. Wrap it with an establishing shot to show she's had however many decades of living as herself and doing regular human stuff.

Blackfang108

The Lord Wolf
Validated User
Or for that matter they could do a flash-forward scene to whenever Wanda does die of something or other. Wrap it with an establishing shot to show she's had however many decades of living as herself and doing regular human stuff.
I had that thought myself.

Max Deltree

Bad Motherfrakker
Validated User
You know, with the 90s pop culture references all around that Sandman has, I think it would be cool if the series WAS set in the 90s (and original times, of course), instead of recent times.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
You know, with the 90s pop culture references all around that Sandman has, I think it would be cool if the series WAS set in the 90s (and original times, of course), instead of recent times.
Given how the stories themselves varied in time, there's nothing stopping some of them from being in the 90s, come to think, although I think the main thrust of the "A plot" should be brought forward to today.

Tambourine

Spirit Princess
Validated User
If LGBTQ representation is going to be an issue for the show then I think it might be best if it had more than just one trans character.

Top Bottom