• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

The Sandman TV series: a Netflix original

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
If LGBTQ representation is going to be an issue for the show then I think it might be best if it had more than just one trans character.
Oh, Sandman never had any problem on the L, G, or B fronts. It's just I can only think of two characters who definitively fall under the T: Wanda and Desire. A tragic hero who dies we want to avoid, and Desire is often antagonistic to Dream. (That said, its hinted that Desire has good reasons and if we had been reading Desire Comics instead, Morpheus might be the villain.)

Brian888

Validated User
Desire played an admittedly very cruel trick on Dream near the beginning of the universe (that whole Oan business), and Dream consequently wrote Desire off for...as long as Dream was alive qua Morpheus (Daniel seems OK with Desire). Dream is an absolute prick forever to those who cross him, or even seem to cross him. See also the lover he consigned to Hell because she wanted to end the affair (IIRC), which Desire called him on at the beginning of A Season of Mists.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
That said, Desire is also pretty darn awful in their way. This line always stuck with me.

"Are you going to hurt me?"
"No more than usual."

AJ the Ronin

I am Loki
Validated User
That said, Desire is also pretty darn awful in their way. This line always stuck with me.

"Are you going to hurt me?"
"No more than usual."
But all the Endless are awful, with the exception of Death. Is not Desire's defining characteristic. It's just a family trait.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
But all the Endless are awful, with the exception of Death. Is not Desire's defining characteristic. It's just a family trait.
Heh. Point taken. Though Destiny is just dead neutral, and Destruction is fine. Delerium often means well too, which is something. You just don't, you know, want to be anywhere within a lightyear of her.

Taraqual

Words words words
Validated User
And Death has her moments. Not of being personally awful, but one of things we see her do in our first story with her is take the soul of a baby in the crib. And we can say, "but that's not her fault..." but she's Death. It's all her fault, her responsibility, and her privilege.

It does lead to one of the greatest quotes in all comics: "You get what everyone gets. You get a lifetime."

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
And Death has her moments. Not of being personally awful, but one of things we see her do in our first story with her is take the soul of a baby in the crib. And we can say, "but that's not her fault..." but she's Death. It's all her fault, her responsibility, and her privilege.

It does lead to one of the greatest quotes in all comics: "You get what everyone gets. You get a lifetime."
I think of Pratchett's Death there - blaming her for when you die is like blaming your mail carrier for delivering your bills. Yes, she has some ability to wiggle it around (like with Hob Gadling)... but that is like said mail carrier 'losing' your mail so you can report you never got a notice.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
I think of Pratchett's Death there - blaming her for when you die is like blaming your mail carrier for delivering your bills. Yes, she has some ability to wiggle it around (like with Hob Gadling)... but that is like said mail carrier 'losing' your mail so you can report you never got a notice.
Yeah, Death doesn't kill you. That's her brothers. Death just takes care of you afterwards.

But
"You got what everyone gets. You got a lifetime."
Still always good for goosebumps.

Taraqual

Words words words
Validated User
The difference is, at least from what I've taken of Morpheus' discussions about the family duty with Death, Destiny, Desire, and most importantly Destruction, is that the event will happen without the Endless being present. But if the Endless chooses to take on the duty, then they are to blame for what the duty entails. Like, Dream creates nightmares and some of them will inspire serial killers or themselves get loose to kill people. That is horrible, but part of Dream's role. He accepts the responsibility for those actions, even if he doesn't have to be present for the nightmare to exist.

So Destruction walked away from the duty, in the belief that means all the destruction in the universe will no longer be his fault. Because when he was part of it, it was his fault. Now, I believe Destruction was fooling himself--engaging in the type of self-deception that Morpheus often did--but at least he didn't feel as guilty. Whereas I think Death, as the most emotionally mature member of the family, accepted that the deaths happened because she separates life from death. It's not "good" or "bad," and she has very limited control over who dies when, but then again, she's the one doing the duty. She just doesn't feel guilty about it.

Top Bottom