• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

The Sandman TV series: a Netflix original

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
The difference is, at least from what I've taken of Morpheus' discussions about the family duty with Death, Destiny, Desire, and most importantly Destruction, is that the event will happen without the Endless being present. But if the Endless chooses to take on the duty, then they are to blame for what the duty entails. Like, Dream creates nightmares and some of them will inspire serial killers or themselves get loose to kill people. That is horrible, but part of Dream's role. He accepts the responsibility for those actions, even if he doesn't have to be present for the nightmare to exist.

So Destruction walked away from the duty, in the belief that means all the destruction in the universe will no longer be his fault. Because when he was part of it, it was his fault. Now, I believe Destruction was fooling himself--engaging in the type of self-deception that Morpheus often did--but at least he didn't feel as guilty. Whereas I think Death, as the most emotionally mature member of the family, accepted that the deaths happened because she separates life from death. It's not "good" or "bad," and she has very limited control over who dies when, but then again, she's the one doing the duty. She just doesn't feel guilty about it.
Also consider Death: the Time of Your Life.

She allows a deal, and not because of any kind of balance, but because part of keeping a foot in the human world is doing things for sentimental human reasons. And, well, she DID make a deal.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
Desire played an admittedly very cruel trick on Dream near the beginning of the universe (that whole Oan business), and Dream consequently wrote Desire off for...as long as Dream was alive qua Morpheus (Daniel seems OK with Desire). Dream is an absolute prick forever to those who cross him, or even seem to cross him. See also the lover he consigned to Hell because she wanted to end the affair (IIRC), which Desire called him on at the beginning of A Season of Mists.
Although, to his credit, Morpheus' reaction to "that was wrong" is... to buck up and head down to Hell, even though Lucifer is likely to be sore, still.

Taraqual

Words words words
Validated User
Although, to his credit, Morpheus' reaction to "that was wrong" is... to buck up and head down to Hell, even though Lucifer is likely to be sore, still.
Morpheus is changing and is able to recognize his own errors. He just has no understanding of how to fix those errors. He tries some things here or there, but ultimately he never quite figures it out. But at least he was able to do some good along the way, for certain values of "good."

Kakita Kojiro

IL-series Cylon
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Morpheus is changing and is able to recognize his own errors. He just has no understanding of how to fix those errors. He tries some things here or there, but ultimately he never quite figures it out. But at least he was able to do some good along the way, for certain values of "good."
I think it is more that Morpheus must change in order to be whom he thinks that he must be, which leads to the whole "The King of Dreams learns that one must change or die, and makes his decision." What he did with Nada and Orpheus was him making amends, but he doesn't quite manage to change what led to those situations in the first place. (Thessaly is probably an example of how he ultimately failed to change.)

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'd just note that Death used to be a b... bad anthropomorphic incarnation of concept.

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Well, at least colder and less compassionate. Whether that made her bad at her duty is another question.
She actively threatened people Athropomorphi Ebondiments that she could have them killed if they would respect her.
That's going beyond her duty.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
She actively threatened people Athropomorphi Ebondiments that she could have them killed if they would respect her.
That's going beyond her duty.
I don’t remember that. The worst I can remember is her shrugging off the council of stars on the grounds of “none of this matters, in the end you’re all mine anyway.”

Top Bottom