• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

The Secret Fire: Did It Change the Hobby Yet?

Arevashti

Aspiring World-Builder
Validated User
The face of the hobby is like the face on Mars. Turns out it was just a trick of the light, and really all that's there is red dust and D&D.
*snerk*

I knew I smelled chick peas.
If it's hippies, it'd be chickpeas and patchouli. Among other distinctive plant products.

(and yes, they're called "Holy-Men". Even the women.)
No, really: he's got to have taken Mazes and Monsters a bit too seriously.

Last edited:

Jorjowsky

Validated User
The face of the hobby is like the face on Mars. Turns out it was just a trick of the light, and really all that's there is red dust and D&D.
Bravo!

...That's it. I just wanted you to know how much I liked this post. :)

Fistful Of Dice

...and a poor attitude.
Validated User
I've just found the perfect example of why real-time spell durations are a really, really bad idea.

There's a first-level Wizard spell that creates a +3 longsword that slows anyone hit with it for 10 minutes. First off, I don't know if that's 10 real minutes or game minutes, but that's not the problem.

The problem is that the spell has a duration of 5 minutes per level. So at level 1, the blade only hangs around for 5 real minutes.

Casting it takes an action in combat, and you only get one action per round. So you cast the spell, then have to wait until your next turn to use it.

In other words, it's pretty likely that you can cast this spell and never get to use the sword because the spell wears off before your next round because it took more than 5 minutes for every player and every monster to act.

At least, I'm assuming you get one Action per round. The summary in the combat chapter says you get a Major Action, Minor Action, and Move Action each round, but the detailed description on the next page says you get one Action, one Move, and as many Free actions as you want. In fact, the combat summary is the only place where the terms "major action" and "minor action" are used. The game can't even keep its own rules straight!

Sage Genesis

Two
RPGnet Member
Validated User
There's a first-level Wizard spell that creates a +3 longsword that slows anyone hit with it for 10 minutes. First off, I don't know if that's 10 real minutes or game minutes, but that's not the problem.

The problem is that the spell has a duration of 5 minutes per level. So at level 1, the blade only hangs around for 5 real minutes.

Casting it takes an action in combat, and you only get one action per round. So you cast the spell, then have to wait until your next turn to use it.

In other words, it's pretty likely that you can cast this spell and never get to use the sword because the spell wears off before your next round because it took more than 5 minutes for every player and every monster to act.
So what will happen is, every spellcaster will be like "huurrrryyyyyyy!" all the time towards the others. Which will ingrain into them very quick resolution of their actions. It sounds like a diabolical method to keep up the pace of the game.

Fistful Of Dice

...and a poor attitude.
Validated User
So what will happen is, every spellcaster will be like "huurrrryyyyyyy!" all the time towards the others. Which will ingrain into them very quick resolution of their actions. It sounds like a diabolical method to keep up the pace of the game.
But why should the rules dictate the pace? What happens if someone has to look up a rule? That's gonna take a minute or two. Heck, what if people want to plan out their actions tactically or even just think about the situation?

Think about it; how much would you like someone else in the group going "huurrrryyyyyyy!" all the time because you want to take stock of situations or plan your move?

Sage Genesis

Two
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It was a joke. Sorry, the Internet didn't convey that as clearly as I would've liked.

I strongly doubt the rules were written with such a goal in mind. And even if they were, it would be terrible as you pointed out. But the image of a low-level spellcaster going slowly insane as all his magic is rendered useless because he's "surrounded by incompetent fools!" was pretty amusing to me. At higher levels this is less of a problem because his spells last longer, so in a twisted sense you'd get the classic old-school power progression of wizards back. Enforced through metagame Deep Hurting.

:D

JTRtheHobbit

Retired User
from what i read on the site, it seems like a pretty classic, simulation-heavy, D20 inspired game
nothing to "change the face" of anything
pretty boring

Fistful Of Dice

...and a poor attitude.
Validated User
It was a joke. Sorry, the Internet didn't convey that as clearly as I would've liked.

I strongly doubt the rules were written with such a goal in mind. And even if they were, it would be terrible as you pointed out. But the image of a low-level spellcaster going slowly insane as all his magic is rendered useless because he's "surrounded by incompetent fools!" was pretty amusing to me. At higher levels this is less of a problem because his spells last longer, so in a twisted sense you'd get the classic old-school power progression of wizards back. Enforced through metagame Deep Hurting.

:D
Gah, sorry. We cool, bro. ;)

And I found an even better example! There's a spell that creates a 10 square x 2 square line of 60 mph winds that does a bunch of damage and imposes a penalty to ranged attacks and perception checks...for 1 minute real-time. Better roll all that damage fast! Not that it matters, because you have this whole Mad-Libs sentence you're supposed to use to describe your damage.

Top Bottom