• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[The Shape of Water] So, the trailer for Guillermo del Toro's new movie is out ...

Seroster

Miw!
Validated User
Re: So, the trailer for Guillermo del Toro's new movie is out ...

I haven't watched the trailer yet, but did Del Toro and Mignola fall out over how to write an Abe prequel?

6inTruder

Oscars are Duche!
Validated User

Somebody get Universal on the line and tell them to buy that shit! Buy it now. Reimburse whoever made it, call it The Creature From the Black Lagoon and go. It may be the only hope the Dark Universe has. :)
Basically! This is so much more what I'd want from a "Dark Universe" in tone & content.

Slickpuppy

Another Gentleman Loser
Validated User

Whether it's supposed to be Abe or not, I get an odd but pleasant feeling from this trailer. It seems a bit, I dunno...whimsical compared to his previous films. The comparison to Let Me Hear You Whisper above seems very apt to me. I am intrigued...

Jay

Pow!
Validated User

Maybe the trailer will wind up better than the movie, but I don't see the point for the Del Toro/Mignola falling out: that looks like a really awesome origin story.
Because it's not actually an Abe Sapien origin, and has nothing to do with the Hellboy franchise.

I mean, it's not actually plagiarism, and del Toro's version of Abe is mostly his, but that's clearly a derivative of the Abe Sapien IP, without Mignola's named attached to it.

I haven't watched the trailer yet, but did Del Toro and Mignola fall out over how to write an Abe prequel?
No idea, but they did have a falling out, and del Toro said he had an idea for an Abe prequel.

Last edited:

Beyond Reality

Validated User

My first thought was that this basically doomed any chance the "Dark Universe" movie for the Creature had (which was never much...the Creature is an even harder sell than the mummy), since it just wouldn't have much of a chance with the inevitable comparison.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User

Well that made me feel dirty like seeing divorced parents acting out at each other.

Stryke

Bang and a Boom
Validated User

Do want, as that looks rather wonderful.

Oddsod Blok'ed

Revolution In Apt 29.
Validated User

I'm one of the people who listened to the commentary for Hellboy, and del Toro is a self-admitted lover of melodrama. He said, verbatim, "I am Mexican, I love melodrama", during one of the scenes with Hellboy and Liz in the library. I think it was during the "I'll never give up on you" line.

Considering how melodramatic this movie looks, and how I don't remember the Abe Sapien origin story being anywhere near as soap operaish in the comic as this looks on screen, I have a suspicion of where the disagreement happened between Mignola and del Toro. Especially because holy shit, the only identifying mark filed off this movie was the Abe Sapien name. Possibly the "April 14 1865" note taped to the tank. Everything else looks just about the same, but with the addition of a mute woman as the love interest.

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User

Somebody get Universal on the line and tell them to buy that shit! Buy it now. Reimburse whoever made it, call it The Creature From the Black Lagoon and go. It may be the only hope the Dark Universe has. :)
I saw the trailer in front of War For the Planet of the Apes, and I spent about the first half of the trailer confused, because I didn't think they were going to do the Creature From the Black Lagoon movie next, and didn't think it would look so good, or that del Toro was attached. But I was happy that they weren't necessarily going for action blockbusters for each movie. Then I realized that it was just an amazing-looking stand-alone movie.

But that made me kind of sad, because it made me think of how great the Dark Universe could have been if they'd just put del Toro in charge of it and let him remake all the classic monsters as dark fairytales rather than action horror.

Top Bottom