[The Shape of Water] So, the trailer for Guillermo del Toro's new movie is out ...

Eric the .5b

Hail the Milleni-odel!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Re: So, the trailer for Guillermo del Toro's new movie is out ...

Good writers borrow, great writers steal, I believe it goes.

And really, this is more interesting than the relevant comic version, where the scientists poke at Abe with no particular malice, but increasing distress on his part, until Hellboy finally goes, "Stop that, me and him are going go have ham sammiches," and helps him out of the tube. And I say this as a Mignola fan.

But that made me kind of sad, because it made me think of how great the Dark Universe could have been if they'd just put del Toro in charge of it and let him remake all the classic monsters as dark fairytales rather than action horror.
That is a beautiful idea.

VictorVonDoom

Hikikomori
Validated User

I haven't watched the trailer yet, but did Del Toro and Mignola fall out over how to write an Abe prequel?
Doom has not seen any firsthand evidence of them "falling out" per se, but after Del Toro's recent last failed attempt to get his Hellboy 3 off the ground, Mignola has decided to go with a reboot with a new director. Del Toro's public statement on the matter did not suggest any bad blood over the decision.

Doom is actually hesitantly optimistic about that, however. Del Toro is a wonderful director, but his Hellboy films weren't very good adaptions, despite being visually lush and wonderfully quirky creations of their own. It would have been nice to see how Del Toro ended his trilogy, but Doom would also love a movie that was more faithful to the source material.

Eric the .5b

Hail the Milleni-odel!
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Doom is actually hesitantly optimistic about that, however. Del Toro is a wonderful director, but his Hellboy films weren't very good adaptions, despite being visually lush and wonderfully quirky creations of their own. It would have been nice to see how Del Toro ended his trilogy, but Doom would also love a movie that was more faithful to the source material.
I'll be a weirdo and agree. The feel was very different, for me, which jarred and was, sadly, a little disservice to Del Toro's work.

I wonder if what Del Toro makes from the inspiration of a Hellboy character will be way more interesting than his doing a direct adaptation. Sort of like all the graphic novel work Jodorowsky did because he couldn't adapt Dune, which (what I've read of it) struck me as kind of wildly wrong for Dune, but cool as its own thing.

Last edited:

Coyote's Own

RPG.net's friendly neighborhood Nuwisha.
RPGnet Member
Validated User

I'll be a weirdo and agree. The feel was very different, for me, which jarred and was, sadly, a little disservice to Del Toro's work.
I'll thrid it.
Making HB exiatnce a secret and then make him be loathed by public was stark change from the source material, which change HB from a world renowned Occult Detecive, to Marvel Mutant.

austenandrews

RPGnet Member
Validated User

Answering a question about The Hobbit, del Toro once said he's not interested in just copying another's person's work to the screen. If Mignola wanted a faithful movie, that had to be a buzzkill.

In any case, I think all this talk about Abe Sapien and serial numbers does a disservice to what looks like a really promising movie here. This is exactly the kind of movie GDT should be making.

Seiberwing

Swift as a coursing river
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User

If anything this is him taking his own version of Abe Sapien - the lovable, socially awkward, eggs-eating, secret-government-facility-constrained, doomed-romance-having fishboy - from his movies and then drawing it even further away from its source to become more his own. Which I am 100% on board with. My mom, who loves romance movies and bonded with me over Warm Bodies, is also on board.

I did finally watch the trailer and I love that the protagonist is mute but actively talks with sign language. It provides an avenue of communication with a nonspeaking entity while demonstrating her as isolated and literally talked over by the people who haven't bothered to learn it. My only hesitation is that it will probably end with at least one of them dead and/or the fishman going off into the wild, never to see her again.

Or maybe she'll turn into a fishwoman, who knows.

Jay

Pow!
Validated User

In any case, I think all this talk about Abe Sapien and serial numbers does a disservice to what looks like a really promising movie here.
I disagree, as it's the blatantness of it that does it the disservice. You can't help but see it, and it pretty much demands you acknowledge it. If he doesn't/didn't want the obvious comparisons (which we don't know, as he's made no comments yet) made, he shouldn't have made it so obvious. It's a distraction.

austenandrews

RPGnet Member
Validated User

I disagree, as it's the blatantness of it that does it the disservice. You can't help but see it, and it pretty much demands you acknowledge it. If he doesn't/didn't want the obvious comparisons (which we don't know, as he's made no comments yet) made, he shouldn't have made it so obvious. It's a distraction.
I've watched both Hellboys several times and I honestly doubt it would have occurred to me, had I not read this thread. What jumped out at me were the Little Mermaid motifs, which I think is a net positive association.

Peers

Order of Cleansing Flame
Validated User

Mid-Credits scene: Modern day, the fish-man floating in a tank, eyes closed, a voice saying "Quit daydreamin', pal. We got work to do." A big red hand knocks twice on the tank.

It won't happen. But it would be cool.

Top Bottom