• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[The Shape of Water] So, the trailer for Guillermo del Toro's new movie is out ...

jimthegray

Validated User
Re: So, the trailer for Guillermo del Toro's new movie is out ...

... and it pretty clearly shows why he and Mignola had a falling out. It's blatantly the Abe Sapien prequel, minus the IP.
[video=youtube_share;lA4WD92it0k]https://youtu.be/lA4WD92it0k[/video]
Now, I'm not saying it looks like a bad movie, but holy shit is it ever Abe Sapien and the BPRD with the serial numbers filed off.
yeah i was watching and saying ...were getting an ABE ! movie

Jay

Pow!
Validated User

I've watched both Hellboys several times and I honestly doubt it would have occurred to me, had I not read this thread. What jumped out at me were the Little Mermaid motifs, which I think is a net positive association.
Seriously? A fishman, with a taste for eggs, being kept by a secret government agency wouldn't have seemed even a little familiar to you, especially when they even reused sets from the first movie? Really?

austenandrews

RPGnet Member
Validated User

Seriously? A fishman, with a taste for eggs, being kept by a secret government agency wouldn't have seemed even a little familiar to you, especially when they even reused sets from the first movie? Really?
Yeah, really. It's not that the motifs aren't there. It's just that Abe Sapien never made that strong of an impression on me, nor did many of the characters frankly, beyond Hellboy. That's not to say I didn't enjoy the movies, because I did, a lot. But when I think "fish man" Hellboy isn't among the first associations to pop into my head, nor vice-versa.

Seiberwing

Swift as a coursing river
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Also if this is del Toro doing an Abe Sapien movie in all but name...that would make me want to watch it MORE. Because I liked his Abe. It doesn't matter if he's stealing more from Creature from the Black Lagoon or his own work.

Seiberwing

Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User

LA Times has an interview out with del Toro about the movie, and it's making me even more hyped.

Q&A Guillermo del Toro's highly personal monster film 'The Shape of Water' speaks to 'what I feel as an immigrant'

But “most personal” also suggests that, of all the films you’ve done, there’s the most of you in this one.

There is the most of me. Most of the time — in “Pan’s Labyrinth” or “Devil’s Backbone” — I’m talking about my childhood. Here, I’m talking about me with adult concerns. Cinema. Love. The idea of otherness being seen as the enemy. What I feel as an immigrant. What I feel is an ugly undercurrent not in the past — not in the origins of fascism — but now.

It is a movie that talks about the present for me. Even if it’s set in 1962, it talks about me now.

That era is often depicted through a nostalgic prism as somehow being the good old days. But this movie paints a very different picture, bringing out the undercurrent of fear and intolerance.

I think when people say “Make America Great Again,” they’re thinking of that America, which actually never ended up really crystallizing. If you were a white Anglo-Saxon Protestant, then things were great. You had jet-fin cars, super-fast kitchens. But everyone else didn’t have it so good. And the creature sort of represents everybody else.

Obviously the world has changed dramatically since you were shooting this film. I can’t imagine you could anticipate the way those themes would resonate ...

I did. And the reason why is that I’m Mexican. I’ve been going through immigration all my life, and I’ve been stopped for traffic violations by cops and they get much more curious about me than the regular guy. The moment they hear my accent, things get a little deeper.

I know it sounds kind of glib, but honestly, what we are living I saw brewing through the Obama era and the Clinton era. It was there. The fact that we got diagnosed with a tumor doesn't mean the cancer started now.

Hopefully one of the things the movie shows is that from 1962 to now, we’ve taken baby steps — and a lot of them not everyone takes. The thing that is inherent in social control is fear. The way they control a population is by pointing at somebody else — whether they’re gay, Mexican, Jewish, black — and saying, “They are different than you. They’re the reason you’re in the shape you’re in. You’re not responsible.” And when they exonerate you through vilifying and demonizing someone else, they control you.

I think the movie says that there are so many more reasons to love than to hate. I know you sound a lot smarter when you’re skeptical and a cynic, but I don’t care.
Going back to the beginning, what was the initial germ of this movie?

I’ve had this movie in my head since I was 6, not as a story but as an idea. When I saw the creature swimming under Julie Adams [in 1954’s “Creature From the Black Lagoon”], I thought three things: I thought, “Hubba-hubba.” I thought, “This is the most poetic thing I’ll ever see.” I was overwhelmed by the beauty. And the third thing I thought is, “I hope they end up together.”

I kind of doubt that’s what most 6-year-olds were thinking.

No, I’m a weird one.
"This movie is about the isolation felt by the Other in a culture of xenophobia based on my own experiences as a minority and immigrant, and also about how I think fishmen are sexy" is a sentence with at least two to three different ways of selling me on this film. He's so cheerfully, unrepentant himself and I love it.

Last edited:

Menocchio

Eccentric Thousandaire
Validated User

I'm really looking forward to this.

I also don't really see the Abe Sapien thing. The egg thing might be an intentional nod, but other than that it's the Creature from the Black Lagoon mixed together with The Little Mermaid with a heaping helping of outsider social commentary. What remains from Hellboy is just GDT's visual aesthetic and Doug Jones.

Seiberwing

Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User

I'm really looking forward to this.

I also don't really see the Abe Sapien thing. The egg thing might be an intentional nod, but other than that it's the Creature from the Black Lagoon mixed together with The Little Mermaid with a heaping helping of outsider social commentary. What remains from Hellboy is just GDT's visual aesthetic and Doug Jones.
Also the fondness for eggs and the adorable cross-species romance (seen in the second film).

Top Bottom