• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

The Sixth Questionable Content thread: attractive robots and hipsters only!

Tardigrade

oso de agua
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I want more May/Sven. Not necessarily shipping, but at least interactions. I want to see the guy who uses every female relationship as a way to sex deal with and empathize with someone almost completely physically incapable of having it.
That's a pretty big "almost", what with May's continual comedic interest in human sexuality.

Ivy

it's not easy being easy
Validated User
I want more May/Sven. Not necessarily shipping, but at least interactions. I want to see the guy who uses every female relationship as a way to sex deal with and empathize with someone almost completely physically incapable of having it.
That's a pretty big "almost", what with May's continual comedic interest in human sexuality.
I really want to link to the strip where she discussed duct-taping a fleshlight to her crotch, but I was unable to find it. :(

Azimer the Mad

Knight of Chaos
Validated User
I really want to link to the strip where she discussed duct-taping a fleshlight to her crotch, but I was unable to find it. :(
That's what I mean! She's had a few MacGyver ideas involving that or lube, but she's still got a shitty model and might not try out of actual self-esteem/body image issues once it's no longer transgressive humor.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
That is interesting. Especially since I don’t know if she’s even interested in sex beyond laughing at weird bits of it.

Anyway the most consistent compliments she’s had are for women with big boobs. So if she’s even into humans (or anyone) she may be gay.

mindstalk

Does the math.
Validated User
She did talk about maybe putting lube in her mouth and letting some guy go to town, to Momo's utter horror.

Bira

Validated User
Does the Air Force in QC employ AI fighter jets? They'd outclass human-piloted jets in almost every way. If May wants to be a jet they must exist, and I don't see them being allowed to be used by civilians.

The relationship between AI combat vehicles and their maintenance crew would be interesting to see.
AI fighter jets are definitely a thing in this setting, though since the AIs are people you still have to recruit and evaluate them. May was introduced into the story as an AI serving time in "robot jail" because she stole a fighter jet chassis and took it for a joyride. Her current shitty blue chassis is all she can afford after being let out on parole.

Tardigrade

oso de agua
RPGnet Member
Validated User
AI fighter jets are definitely a thing in this setting, though since the AIs are people you still have to recruit and evaluate them. May was introduced into the story as an AI serving time in "robot jail" because she stole a fighter jet chassis and took it for a joyride. Her current shitty blue chassis is all she can afford after being let out on parole.
I remember May's backstory, which is why I wasn't wondering about the existence of AI jets, but their place in QC society. How does military vehicles being people affect how they are deployed? If the controlling AIs have black boxes, will their commanders be more aggressive with them, and will they be more aggressive with themselves? (Imagine facing an opposing air force whose every member could kamikaze.) Are their support crews all AIs as well?

AI makes conventional war weird. I don't expect QC to ever touch directly on warfare, as it's to heavy a topic for an occasionally dramatic but essentially small-scale comic, but it's fun to think about.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
I remember May's backstory, which is why I wasn't wondering about the existence of AI jets, but their place in QC society. How does military vehicles being people affect how they are deployed? If the controlling AIs have black boxes, will their commanders be more aggressive with them, and will they be more aggressive with themselves? (Imagine facing an opposing air force whose every member could kamikaze.) Are their support crews all AIs as well?

AI makes conventional war weird. I don't expect QC to ever touch directly on warfare, as it's to heavy a topic for an occasionally dramatic but essentially small-scale comic, but it's fun to think about.
Well, we’ve established that AI have a brain in the normal sense (earlier weirdness about transferring software between bodies aside) that needs to survive.

So if you crash, you can survive but it’s still being down and helpless in enemy territory.

And if you run your body by remote, ala spookybot, you're susceptible to jamming.

Edit: related, interesting thing from Schlock Mercenary. Most AI is locked to its computational substrate, and you can’t transfer it. Clone it, but not transfer.

SOME AI architectures can though, most notably Vanilla Helix. They maintain consciousness in their programming, not in the hardware.

Bira

Validated User
I haven't seen the sort of "let them die and restore from backup" attitude Eclipse Phase encourages anywhere in the comic, so I'm guessing the attitude towards AI-run military aircraft would be similar to the one that exists towards any other chassis: treat the chassis like a vehicle, but treat the AI as its pilot. This means they'd have some means of ejecting the hardware that actually runs the AI and ensuring its survival afterwards. You don't want an AI pilot to die or be captured anymore than you'd want a human pilot to suffer the same fate.

So there's a black box, but it can eject and run away on its own.

Top Bottom