• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

The Sixth Questionable Content thread: attractive robots and hipsters only!

Solarn

Validated User
To be fair, "just get off your ass and deal with it you snowflake" is an unfortunately common attitude to mental issues IRL, so I don't think it takes any bad faith reading to respond negatively. You kinda need to know the whole context to know it's extremely unlikely to be the intended message, here.
I'd like to think though that at this point Jeph should have built up enough trust to avoid this. It's especially annoying because it happens every single time, and Jeph gets proven trustworthy every. Single. Time. So why are people still waiting to pounce on him as soon as he does something that can be taken multiple ways?

Law Orc

Quasi-Possum
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'd like to think though that at this point Jeph should have built up enough trust to avoid this. It's especially annoying because it happens every single time, and Jeph gets proven trustworthy every. Single. Time. So why are people still waiting to pounce on him as soon as he does something that can be taken multiple ways?
No, I don't think the strip as a whole has all that consistently good of a track record on portraying this stuff. This aspect of Hannelore has constantly been played for cheap laughs. Jeph has a pretty decent track record with LGBT issues but not entirely so much with mental health stuff.

So, when folks see a character whose genuinely debilitating mental health issues are generally played for laughs, and then get something like this that exactly plays into hurtful stereotypes and ideas? Yeah, people are going to be frustrated.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
No, I don't think the strip as a whole has all that consistently good of a track record on portraying this stuff. This aspect of Hannelore has constantly been played for cheap laughs. Jeph has a pretty decent track record with LGBT issues but not entirely so much with mental health stuff.

So, when folks see a character whose genuinely debilitating mental health issues are generally played for laughs, and then get something like this that exactly plays into hurtful stereotypes and ideas? Yeah, people are going to be frustrated.
Hannelore has always been one of the most sympathetic characters, they show her struggling with things, she’s been making steady progress with her issues through her whole time onscreen and this is just an offscreen continuation of that. I’m really not seeing where you’re getting this.

I mean yeah, there’s humor from her dealing with difficult situations for her. And? Everyone gets that. We also had humor from Dora being so jealous she threatened a customer with a sword.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
Also, as said, we KNOW that Hanners' issues are linked to how she grew up. Forcing herself to deal with it and having a realization isn't exactly denying or misrepresenting anything, any more than folks who go through therapy to treat a phobia are.

And I doubt this means she's "fixed, no issues at all". She just realized poop is a thing that exists and she might as well deal with it.

Ivy

it's not easy being easy
Validated User

Yeah, speaking as a real-life girl with disabling mental health issues, I've never* been entirely comfortable with how Hannelore is portrayed, sympathetic and likable though she is. I'll just have to wait and see where Jeph is going with this new direction for her, though.

* Well, not never - the way she was initially, that was later retconned away as medication side effects, I liked much better.

Top Bottom