• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

The Sixth Questionable Content thread: attractive robots and hipsters only!

mindstalk

Does the math.
Validated User
I don't get it, why the rabid hostility to Tilly? They barged in uninvited into the narrative, sure, but that's how many (most?) of the other characters came in, too, and I don't see people wishing gory death on them. :confused:
She didn't just barge into the narrative, but into Hannalore's life, complete with guilt-tripping and manipulation. And crawling over a bar to make Hannalore's coffee *on the job*. The only equivalent is May, and even she broke down and confessed she could be dismissed before her two days were up.

When you're less respectful of personal boundaries than May-in-Robot-Jail, you've got a problem.

Max

A dapper chap without a doubt
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I just mean, most of us didn't wish death even on fucking Corpse Witch. Or the Vespavenger. The level of hatred directed at Tilly just seems jarringly disproportionate to me. EDIT: Or Hanners' mom, who's directly, with 100% full awareness and intent, responsible for this whole thing!

I guess the situation struck a specific sore spot for a lot of people.

Last edited:

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think part of it is, like it or not, Tilly's a tool of Hannalore's mother, and even following Hannamom's orders about not respecting boundaries at first. If she was introduced in other circumstances that'd be fine, and her main problem is being too willing to follow bad orders, but yea, not the best intro.

I can see her being part of the cast, but I also fully get the reason for the hostility.

Hmm. I don't remember "Stalker!Lore." Wonder if it's worth an archive dive to try and find that stuff?
Hannalore's introduction, before she formally introduced herself to Martin she had seen him and Faye (being in the same neighbor), and followed them a few times before making contact. So the first night they talked and stuff, she knew his name and apartment and Martin had some pretty justified stalker fears. She did apologize profusely.

Myrme

Historian for Hire
Validated User
I think part of it is, like it or not, Tilly's a tool of Hannalore's mother, and even following Hannamom's orders about not respecting boundaries at first. If she was introduced in other circumstances that'd be fine, and her main problem is being too willing to follow bad orders, but yea, not the best intro.

I can see her being part of the cast, but I also fully get the reason for the hostility.
They barged in and would not go away and made it quite clear that the only way Hannelore could force them to leave was either by openly assaulting them or the police showing up to drag them off. Hannelore isn't a person in Tilly's eyes, she's a dollar sign. That and they feel like Generically Quirky Questionable Content Character #38 who we're all supposed to think is quirky and adorable instead of a pain in the ass who won't go the fuck away and leave a person alone.

The allosaurus thing is just a reference to an early QC character whose character amounted to "blond quirky girl with crush on Martin" who used to work at Coffee of Doom that vanished early on from the comic and Jeph joked was eaten by an allosaurus.

Last edited:

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
They barged in and would not go away and made it quite clear that the only way Hannelore could force them to leave was either by openly assaulting them or the police showing up to drag them off. Hannelore isn't a person in Tilly's eyes, she's a dollar sign. That and they feel like Generically Quirky Questionable Content Character #38 who we're all supposed to think is quirky and adorable instead of a pain in the ass who won't go the fuck away and leave a person alone.
I think Tilly does view Hannelore as a person and not just a dollar sign, and that their issues probably come more from eager-to-pleaseness overwhelming her sense of boundaries. Which is still a major problem, just a different major problem.

My take is Hannamom found someone who can follow orders and has boundary issues (Tilly was 'the really intense one' as a kid), and weaponized them. An argument can be made they need deprogramming.

Last edited:

DrFaustus

Humanistic Infernalist
Validated User
I just mean, most of us didn't wish death even on fucking Corpse Witch. Or the Vespavenger. The level of hatred directed at Tilly just seems jarringly disproportionate to me. EDIT: Or Hanners' mom, who's directly, with 100% full awareness and intent, responsible for this whole thing!

I guess the situation struck a specific sore spot for a lot of people.
No one is seriously wishing they would die, just that Jeff would stop writing them and they'd go away.

Last edited:

Desert_Ranger

I die free
Validated User
No one is seriously wishing they would die, just that Jeff would stop writing them and they'd go away.
Yeah, while I wouldn't say I hate Tilly, I'm just...weary of yet another new character. I'd be happy on following up with some of myriad of other characters that we've been introduced to over the years who have now vanished into the ether.

Snoof

Time-Travelling Layabout
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah, while I wouldn't say I hate Tilly, I'm just...weary of yet another new character. I'd be happy on following up with some of myriad of other characters that we've been introduced to over the years who have now vanished into the ether.
Same. I want to see if the Clinton/Brun/Elliot thing goes anywhere.

Kremlin KOA

Sarcastic Cripple
Validated User
She didn't just barge into the narrative, but into Hannalore's life, complete with guilt-tripping and manipulation. And crawling over a bar to make Hannalore's coffee *on the job*. The only equivalent is May, and even she broke down and confessed she could be dismissed before her two days were up.

When you're less respectful of personal boundaries than May-in-Robot-Jail, you've got a problem.
I don't want them dead. I just believe hannermom will kill them for failing.
I also believe Tilly knows this. And that is the driving motive behind all their actions.
I guess that means I kinda want them dead. From a Doylist perspective, seeing Hannermom go full supervillain would open interesting storylines.

Last edited:

Snoof

Time-Travelling Layabout
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I guess that means I kinda want her dead. From a Doylist perspective, seeing Hannermom go full supervillain aoumd opens interesting storylines.
Quirky slice-of-life comics turning into epic struggles? What is this, every long-running webcomic between 1995 and 2005?

Top Bottom