• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

The Spooky Voodoo Home for Ungamed Characters

Sabermane

Proud Fianna knight of hope and peace
Validated User
Yeah, Good Idea SVL.

So we've all got those characters we've never played. The game was never right, the mechanics never worked with what you wanted, you always had them in your head but when the time came, you needed to play something else.

Well, for mere nothings a day, you can at least write them down and maybe motivate somebody else to start a game. So please, write down the characters you haven't gotten a chance to play, or the ones that you always want to play whenever you get the chance.

As an example, let's take a look at Jack. Jack's a Mage, an older but handsome man. A bit of a con artist, a bit of a grandfather, and he he's based mainly on the opening stanzas of Shape of My Heart:

e deals the cards as a meditation
And those he plays never suspect
He doesn't play for the money he wins
He don't play for respect
He deals the cards to find the answer
The sacred geometry of chance
The hidden law of a probable outcome
The numbers lead a dance

I got to play a Hermetic once, and it was a blast to really sink my teeth into what a Paradigm was and how it worked. That's what I'd really want to get from him--the change to dig into the idea of a man dealing cards and trying to figure out what this whole luck/destiny/whales/people thing was.

Bremen

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Re: The Spooky Voodo Home for Ungamed Characters

Let's see. I had fun with the idea of Naomi, my alcoholic, foul mouthed, womanizing, dishonorably discharged female (because I feel playing a male version of the preceding would be all sorts of unpleasant) mecha pilot, but the game didn't last long due to some unhappiness with the system. If I ever see a game going where she'd fit I might give that another chance.

I also had fun with Flightful Fancy, a character I came up with for a short lived pony game. I ran one, maybe someday I'll get to play in one that manages to last. A writer with a colorful to the point of insanity imagination. On the other hand, I also learned that imagine spots don't work so well in cooperative storytelling, so I might focus more on the storytelling and less on the crazy imagination aspect.

Yellow Signatory

Formerly 'Lord Stilt-Man'
Validated User

Life's too crazy for me to pick up another game now, but I do have one character that I'd love a chance to play.

For entirely understandable reasons most WFRP games around here want the character rolled there and then, but once upon a time in a fit of boredom I rolled myself a character, all entirely legal, legit, logged rolls, a Dwarf, the way the rolls fell he had amazing Fellowship for a Dwarf. So, and here's the controversial part, I looked through the Career Compendium to choose the most interesting career such a Dwarf could legally start as. Raconteur struck my eye, so I read up on it, a career of guys who think they're Baron Munchausen spouting entertaining bull**** to get free drinks.

That chosen it all came together, he was a useless good for nothing son of a minor failing merchant family in Barak Varr, he wanted more from his life, wanted to be like the naval heroes of his home city. But, he had neither the talent nor the dedication to get there, so he'd just dress like one, and tell gullible non Dwarfs he was a Gyrocopter pilot to soak up their awe. I rolled just enough gold for a leather skullcap to be my only armour, I combined that with the Outrageous Hat in my carerr trappings to create an Outrageously decorated Flying Helmet, his good clothes were a barely fitting Pilots dress uniform and he would travel the Empire, going from town to town, pub to pub, telling them tales of his dogfights against Griffons and shooting down squadrons of doom divers, explaining his craft had been seized by the city authorities, and that if he could just gather the funds to free it he would most assuredly bring it to noble Stirland to defend it's people.

Stormraven

Mystical Atheist
Validated User

I've got a couple of characters I've tried to play before, and run into issues, either with system or the game not getting anywhere.

Probably the one I most want to play is Denise Chalis, AKA Checkmate.

Inspired a little bit by Batman, a little bit by Ozymandias, and a little bit by Bobby Fischer, Checkmate is possessed a brain that operates faster than most, if not all, supercomputers. She's a strategic and tactical mistress, able to think and plan many moves ahead. She's a fair combatant, but her greatest use in most games is as support and leadership.

Oh, and she earned her sobriquet honestly. She's a Grand Master+ in Chess.

Last edited:

The Wyzard

An overwhelming surplus of diggity
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User

I'd like to play a Hapless Vampire type character in Shadowrun. I've had threads about the idea. Basically, relatively average dude, corp drone/wage slave type, gets infected with HMMMV or whatever it is and turns into a vampire. Has basically no options other than to become a shadowrunner, despite not being terribly suited for it by training or inclination. Still, I should be able to contribute to the group reasonably well, because vampires *do* have a couple potent abilities.

I have shit-tons of concepts for supers games that I probably won't ever get to play. Too many to list, really.

I have a concept for a Beast character (nWoD, final version isn't out yet but lots of us have the preview manuscript from the KS.) He's a devout follower of the Dark Mother; I actually read through the old Devil Tiger's book to get a handle on his way of thinking. If it is the nature of his existence to be a monster that punishes the wicked, he's going to be the best he can possibly be at that job.

Last edited:

kitty voodoo

Social Justice Slytherin
Validated User

Hey!! Cool I got a PC orphanage named after me (Two O's at the end of voodoo btw)

Give me a sec....

Number One on my most wanted list

Whiskey Boudreaux
Refresh: 1

Aspects:
High Concept: New Orleans Paranormal Private Investigator
Trouble: A Black Woman Playing a White Man's Game
Aspect 3: Detective Chelsea Rye NOPD
Aspect 4: Maman Brigitte
Aspect 5: Treme Girl

Skills:
Great (+4) Investigate
Good (+3) Fight, Lore
Fair (+2) Contacts, Notice, Shoot
Average (+1) Athletics, Drive, Provoke, Stealth

Stunts:
Fight: Blackbelt in Barstool
Investigate: Sharp-Eyed Lady, Wanna Try Saying That To My Face
Lore: They Call Me The Voodoo Woman

Extras:
Voodoo Charm
Function: Protective Talisman
Flaw: Unpredictable
Stunts: Danger Sense, Good Luck/Bad Luck/No Luck At All
Permission: Aspect Slot Indicating the Favor of a Voodoo Loa
Cost: One Refresh

Stunt Explanations:
Blackbelt in Barstool - Virtually anything can be a lethal weapon in your hands, as long as you can comfortably and casually lift it. You never need to spend a fate point in order to declare that an improvised weapon is close at hand, unless your surroundings have been deliberately prepared against this (such as a prison cell).

Danger Sense - The charm provides its wearer with a preternatural capacity for detecting danger. As long as the charm is being worn the wearer's Notice skill works unimpeded by conditions like total concealment, darkness or other sensory impairments in situations where someone or something intends to harm them.

Good Luck/Bad Luck/No Luck At All - Once per scene the wearer can use the charm to create an advantage by invoking a temporary situational aspect (Boost). The player must spend a fate point and then roll 1dF. On a result of -1 the boost negatively affects another (Bad Luck). On a result of +1 the boost positively affects the wearer (Good Luck). On a result of 0 the result fails and no boost is created.

Sharp-Eyed Lady - Once per scene you can spend a fate point (and a few minutes of observation) to make a special Investigate roll representing your potent deductive faculties. For each shift you make on this roll you discover or create an aspect, on either the scene or the target of your observations, though you may only invoke one of them for free.

They Call Me The Voodoo Woman - You get a +2 to all Lore rolls relating to Voodoo and the Occult.

Wanna Try Saying That To My Face - You can use Investigate instead of Empathy to defend against Deceive attempts. What others discover through gut reactions and intuition, you learn through careful observation of micro-expressions.

Last edited:

kitty voodoo

Social Justice Slytherin
Validated User

Number Two on SVL's 5 most wanted list

Lana Rey: The Queen of Tiki
(SOTC/FATE Core Hybrid)
Refresh: 5

Aspects:
High Concept: World Famous Hollywood Starlet
Trouble: Typecast
Aspect 3: Entourage
Aspect 4: I Do My Own Stunts
Aspect 5: Kimmy the Wonder Ape (Orangutan)
Aspect 6: Old Flame
Aspect 7: This One Time, When We Were Filming...

Skills:
Superb (+5) Athletics
Great (+4) Art, Resources
Good (+3) Deceit, Empathy, Rapport
Fair (+2) Contacting, Endurance, Stealth, Weapons
Average (+1) Alertness, Leadership, Fists, Slight of Hand, Survival

Stunts:
Art: Virtuoso, Do You Know Who I Am?
Athletics: Acrobat, High Dive
Mysteries: Tiki Charm (Personal Artifact)

Artifact:
Tiki Charm: (Tiki Idol) Arcane; Miniaturization; Special Effect: Good Luck/Bad Luck - Once per scene the charm can create a temporary situational aspect (Boost) that either positively affects the wearer (Good Luck) or negatively affects another (Bad Luck)

Stunt Explanations:
Acrobat - You are able to perform impressive acrobatic feats. No individual source of opposition related to balance can be used to justify opposition to your actions.

Do You Know Who I Am? - Once per scene, you may identify yourself in order to get your way and add +2 to a Contacts, Deceive, Provoke, or Rapport roll.

High Dive - You are a highly skilled diver (Olympic athlete, aqua-show performer, professional cliff diver etc) capable of making incredible dives from even the most dizzy heights. +2 to any action that requires a literal high dive into water.

Virtuoso - Choose a field of art, such as acting, painting, composition, or singing. You get a +2 to all Rapport rolls relating to that art.

Note: Yes, I realize that Lana's Tiki charm is pretty much a reskinned version of Whiskey's Voodoo charm. I figured as I'll probably never get the chance to play Whiskey I can at least use her luck charm with a PC I was playing. But unfortunately the game she was in fell apart but I love the character so much I really am waiting for a chance to let her shine.

kitty voodoo

Social Justice Slytherin
Validated User

Number 3 on SVL's 5 most wanted list is the character Miss Lana Rey (see above) is most famous for playing on the big screen & radio

Alani of the Lost Islands
(SOTC/FATE Core Hybrid)
Refresh: 3

Aspects:
High Concept: South Pacific Jungle Girl
Trouble: The Savage Beauty
Aspect 3: Alani the Fearless
Aspect 4: Faithful Friend Kimchee (Orangutan)
Aspect 5: Last Daughter of Lemuria
Aspect 6: Priestess of Mano-Tiki-Tia
Aspect 7: These Alani's Islands! Alani Rules Here! Alani, Queen!

Skills:
Superb (+5) Athletics
Great (+4) Alertness, Survival
Good (+3) Fists, Intimidation, Might
Fair (+2) Endurance, Mysteries, Stealth, Weapons
Average (+1) Art, Empathy, Leadership, Rapport, Resolve

Stunts:
Alertness: Danger Sense
Athletics: Acrobat, High Dive, Fast as a Leopard, Human Spider, One With the Water
Mysteries: Amulet of Mano-Tiki-Tia (Personal Artifact)

Artifact:
Amulet of Mano-Tiki-Tia: (Tiki Idol) Arcane; Miniaturization; Special Effect: Good Luck/Bad Luck - Once per scene the charm can create a temporary situational aspect (Boost) that either positively affects the wearer (Good Luck) or negatively affects another (Bad Luck)

Stunt Explanations:
Acrobat - You are able to perform impressive acrobatic feats. No individual source of opposition related to balance can be used to justify opposition to your actions.

Danger Sense - You have a preternatural capacity for detecting danger. Your Notice skill works unimpeded by conditions like total concealment, darkness or other sensory impairments in situations where someone or something intends to harm them.

Fast as a Leopard - You are incredibly fast on your feet. +2 to create advantage or overcome actions with Athletics used to move multiple zones on the flat.

High Dive - You are a highly skilled diver (Olympic athlete, Aqua-show performer, professional cliff diver etc) capable of making incredible dives from even the most dizzy heights. +2 to any action that requires a literal high dive into water.

Human Spider - The character can climb surfaces she oughtn't be able to +2 to overcome or create advantage actions with Athletics on any climb.

One With the Water - +2 to defend or overcome with Athletics while swimming.

Note: Any resemblance between Alani and the actress who plays her is completely intentional. It's all very meta.

kitty voodoo

Social Justice Slytherin
Validated User

Number 4 on SVL's Top 5 most wanted list

Abby "Arizona" O'Connell
(SOTC/FATE Core Hybrid)
Refresh: 3

Aspects:
High Concept: Rough & Ready Island Pilot
Trouble: Chasing Amelia
Aspect 3: Human Barometer
Aspect 4: Lil' Gracie O'Connell - Youngest Co-Pilot in the World!
Aspect 5: The Ninety-Nines
Aspect 6: The Spirit of Flagstaff
Aspect 7: Tomboy Tough

Skills:
Superb (+5) Pilot
Great (+4) Engineering, Fists
Good (+3) Endurance, Guns, Investigation
Fair (+2) Empathy, Leadership, Might, Resolve
Average (+1) Academics, Gambling, Resources, Slight of Hand, Survival

Stunts:
Engineering: Grease Monkey
Fists: Brawler, Leave My Kid Alone!
Pilot: Barnstormer, Fly By Night, Walk Away From It
Resources: Useful Little Things

Stunt Explanations:
Barnstormer - You can squeeze your plane through places where it has no business fitting. You never need to spend a fate point to declare details relating to your plane having enough clearance space to fly or land. What’s more, if you do spend a fate point, you can fit the plane in places you absolutely should not be able to.

Brawler - You’re at home in any big old burly brawl, with multiple opponents and ideally some beer in you. When fighting a mob of nameless NPCs, you deal one additional stress on a successful physical hit.

Fly By Night - Whether in dead of night or during a storm, your piloting skills remain true. You never face increased difficulties due to environmental factors (darkness, weather) when flying. This does not protect your plane from taking damage from the environment – but your skill remains unreduced.

Grease Monkey - If it has an engine and wings, propellers, or wheels, you “get” it, intuitively and completely. +2 to Crafts when dealing with vehicles.

Leave My Kid Alone! - +2 to attack with Fight when your opponent’s most recent action was to attack or endanger your child.

Useful Little Things - Your pockets are full of useful little things. Whenever you need something, you have it, provided it’s not something too unusual (like a map to Jimmy Hoffa’s body) or too large to fit in a pocket, belt pouch, or backpack. When you say you have something, the GM should be likely to agree.

Walk Away From It - You have a great instinct for crash-landing planes, and are able to walk away from even the most catastrophic-seeming landings. While you are piloting a plane into its crash landing, coincidence conspires to keep you and your passengers alive, and you pass from the view of the other combatants. You may re-enter play in any subsequent scene in as dramatic a fashion as you see fit, explaining to everyone how you survived. You return with all of your physical stress cleared and a single additional consequence incurred to reflect the dangers you defied.

Notes: This is a rare PC for me in that there is nothing in this write-up that I would change - at all. Nothing. By reading the write up you have a perfect image of who the character is. No fine tuning needed.

Last edited:

Yellow Signatory

Formerly 'Lord Stilt-Man'
Validated User

If it's not a threadcrap I'd just like to say; SVL, I'm incredibly jealous of your FATE chargen skills.

Top Bottom