• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

The Spooky Voodoo Home for Ungamed Characters

thewhippinggirl

Still being assembled.
Validated User
Newest one is I want to play a Don Quixote style simple farmer turned wanna-be knight/paladin. My current version of the idea is a Halfling farmer who suffers a bump on the head and now rides out on their trusty steed doing good deeds, perhaps in name of their deity.

In my head she is probably wearing armor she put together herself (so pot on her head, barrel lid for shield), armed with farm tools and riding a massive pig (or alternatively a cow). Probably a fighter (cavalier/knight) or some kind of paladin though I think I like the idea of her without powers even better.

LuciusAlexander

PalindromedaryRider
Validated User
Newest one is I want to play a Don Quixote style simple farmer turned wanna-be knight/paladin. My current version of the idea is a Halfling farmer who suffers a bump on the head and now rides out on their trusty steed doing good deeds, perhaps in name of their deity.

In my head she is probably wearing armor she put together herself (so pot on her head, barrel lid for shield), armed with farm tools and riding a massive pig (or alternatively a cow). Probably a fighter (cavalier/knight) or some kind of paladin though I think I like the idea of her without powers even better.
I see her riding a donkey. And her name is Hotay.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary sees what I did there.

The Wyzard

An overwhelming surplus of diggity
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I had an urge to play a Terminator that succeeded...and then that was it. No further orders just a killer robot trying to live life and avoid jail time. Terminator meets Logan basically.
Did you ever watch Sarah Connor Chronicles, or just the movies?

Because T:SCC is the best source for speculating on other ways the series might have gone. It is *amazing.*

Olof Jönsson

Tumto Lectis
Validated User
Hmmm. I keep wanting to play a classic kill monsters and loot-styled D&D (5E, am finding myself in love with this new system) game, but everyone's always got a huge setting twist, unusual setting or epic plot idea that makes me not want to apply.

Because of that I have some characters that will likely never see a game...
----------
Q'En (Pronounced "Kwo'ehn", but everyone always gets it wrong). Human Barbarian from a distant, unknown island that's a sort of fantasy Caribbean. He's a dreadlocked six foot five fellow with a laconic sense of humor (he tries to warn group of impending threat, nobody understands his signs, afterwards gets complaints to not be so subtle. "Understood. Next time, I hit you instead.") and vested logical self interest motivations. Chaotic Neutral, but not "Har har I kill teammates and steal stuff"-styled. Instead, he's rationally decided that hanging out with a party and keeping them alive (and sharing equitably) is conducive to his own success and health. Also, he kind of likes people.
----------
Sasun Jawsmasher Tukarinithak...aka "Susan". Stormborn Goliath sorceress who left her tribe due to everyone considering her cursed due to her innate powers. Everyone always assumes she's a Fighter or Barbarian, so when she pulls out the lightning-marked wand and starts tossing cantrips and spells around, they're generally somewhat confused. She's goodnatured and friendly (Neutral Good) and finds non-Goliath society fascinating.
----------
Drokk Facebiter, a half-orc Paladin (the unfortunate last name comes from an incident during training where a fellow acolyte refused to stop bullying him over his heritage) of Lathander who believes in changing the world by example. The kind of guy who will punch your face in if you try to slaughter orc or goblin babies for being "born evil", and treats everyone like a person. After all, he doesn't want to be like those who mistreated him for being a half-orc (also, his parents were quite happy together, he only grew up without them because of some Paladins of Helm not caring if they were mere farmers or not, they were an orc and someone associating with an orc). Gentle, smiling (Lawful Good) fellow with little patience for those who would look down on him for being green (not violently...he just ignores them).
----------
Simeon, a Tiefling Monk, an orphan who trained under a weird old monk who taught him the Quivering Palm path. After the old man died under mysterious circumstances, Simeon's been wandering the world looking for purpose, and finding it in aiding the helpless. He finds the bigotry against his heritage disheartening, but understandable as mortals are flawed people.
---------
Tak Ulfricsson, a mountain dwarf fighter who's set out to earn money to provide for his family back at the mining colony. Has a wife and kids back home, and misses them terribly. Protection style warrior with shield and battleaxe, he's thoughtful, mindful and good with kids (they remind him of his own).

JohnStargazer

Validated User
First off, can I just say, I love this idea for a topic.

Thinking about it, I've never been one to get overly attached to character concepts (in fact, I have the opposite problem, constantly coming up with new ideas in mid-game), but there are three that I regret never getting to play in anything, or at least not having the game last very long...

The first I did play briefly, in a PBP Marvel Universe RPG (the one with Stones, after SAGA but before Heroic) under the idea of a version of the New Mutants where the members were basically Morlock types. She was a teenage girl who invested nearly all of her character creation stones into Copy Ability/Action/Modifier and an uncontrolled shapeshifting, causing her to take on the stats and appearance of the people around her unconsciously. She was named Wannabe, and I at least thought it was a clever concept.

The second never got as far as having a name even, largely to my own feeling that he was too complicated to actually put into play. Inspired by Dial H for Hero and Ben 10, I wanted to try a Mutants and Masterminds character who had a form of Uncontrolled Metamorph. When activating his powers I'd roll a d20 or d10 and get one of ten different potential superheroic identities, each with it's own full character sheet and personality.

The third was just a general idea and backstory early on when my tabletop group first tried Buffy The Vampire Slayer, before it became clear I was the only one willing or able to run it. I had the idea for a Robot character whose backstory was that he was built by a teenage genius who designed him as a protector, allowing her to feel safer while going out to clubs or walking the street because he was always close enough to look after her. Then, one night, she met a guy at a club and decided she didn't need to be protected, leaving with the guy... who turned out to be a vampire. Which the robot discovered after his dying creator tried to summon him at the last minute. The robot, being super-strong but also unfamiliar with vampire physiology, then proceeded to beat the vampire until sunrise.

Xander

Validated User
A long time ago, for a Star Wars game that was never played, I created CRASH - the Cybernetic Research Astro-Space Humanoid... an Imperial droid used to test experimental TIE fighters prior to human pilot trials. Liberated after a devastating crash landing, CRASH aimed to fly fighters and become a flying ace by terminating as many (inferior) meatbag pilots as possible.

The Wyzard

An overwhelming surplus of diggity
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So I had a superhero concept I developed in some depth, at least in terms of how his powers worked, which was going to be a little odd. I'm going to reference game mechanics in this explanation because they illustrate what I was thinking, but I never developed a character sheet in any particular system.

The general thrust of his powers are those of a speedster, but with some variation. The classic Flash style speedster can run really fast, and does have the ability to do things (like wash all the dishes or read all the books) very quickly, but they don't necessarily *react* to things with an ability proportional to how fast they can run. So, basically, they can run at a thousand miles an hour, but you can still trip them by timing it right.

I wanted to play a speedster who wasn't that fast, but his speed was proportional in all aspects and always on. In essence, when he's sped up, from his perspective everything happens at 1/10th its normal speed. So he's only running (from a bystander perspective) at 10x the normal rate, but if you throw a punch at him (from his perspective) it's moving at 1/10th the normal speed. So he can probably get out of the way, and if it does hit, it's more of a shove than a hard strike. This also means that he can jump quite some distance or land from relatively high falls safely (gravity has 1/10th its normal acceleration from his perspective.) Contrariwise, his punches are hitting you at 10x the speed, and thus have 10x the impact.

So he can't run around the world in minutes or vibrate through solid objects or punch someone a hundred times a second, but he's extremely formidable in a stand-up fight. Also, most games build speedsters with a very high agility or dexterity stat. I think he wouldn't have that. He's a physically active hero, so he's better than an average man on the street, but it's not that he has superhuman agility. It's that he has all the time in the world. So in a chronicles of darkness type system, if he wanted to shoot someone, it's not that he has a supremely high dexterity, it's that he can get the multi-round aim bonus every round. Because to him, he has a subjective thirty seconds to line up his shot in a 3-second combat round.

For his special or super attack, in a game system that uses something like that, he'd probably have a sort of fire aura. He could probably manifest his super-speed (which I imagine as being fairly selective, due to the nature of both game rules and comic book physics) as 10x higher than normal molecular excitation just due to having a normal body temperature. If you do the math to see what his "normal" temperature would be by taking the normal human body temperature in the Kelvin scale and multiplying it by ten, he could melt through body armor by pressing his hand against it. Grappling him could be a mistake. But again, that'd be some kind of special attack he had to spend points to use.

Anyway, I tinkered with this concept for a while, and also what his personality and name and motivation and so forth would be, and I never could quite get it to gel. And then I realized that the reason I was having problems is that his power makes a better villain than hero. You imagine this guy working as part of the Sinister Six or something, and he seems to fit in better.

Oh well.

Top Bottom