• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

The suffocating pressure of everything being always online and the vanishing joy of single player.

Harlander

Almost determinedly non-useful
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Sending your voice to an external server for speech recognition sounds like the sort of thing that the user should be quite emphatically notified about. (And doing it when you're not even in a multiplayer session is pretty weird, unless you're playing Bridge Crew I guess...)

Last edited:

Randall

Validated User
Sending your voice to an external server for speech recognition sounds like the sort of thing that the user should be quite emphatically notified about. (And doing it when you're not even in a multiplayer game is pretty weird, unless you're playing Bridge Crew I guess...)
yeah, the whole "you cursed at your home while not really playing to any other person and therefore you are banned to do this and that" is problematic and probably higly illegal in some non-US/non-NorthKorea countries.

Next level is they ban you because the camera, that is not used in any feature of the game or chat, detects that you have a non-authorized t-shirt?

ResplendentScorpion

neither glitter, nor substance
Validated User
Unfortunately, I wouldn't rely on the single-player tag as a guarantee of "no online features by default", at least on Steam; tags are suggested by users based on their own perceptions of the game, which leads to games like Dark Souls being tagged both Single-Player and Multiplayer.
You don't look at tags, you look at features.
If a product does not match the listed features, a single report is all it takes for it to get temporarily de-listed from the store (following investigation, but these tend to be fast).

thuryl

Validated User
You don't look at tags, you look at features.
If a product does not match the listed features, a single report is all it takes for it to get temporarily de-listed from the store (following investigation, but these tend to be fast).
The features list seems to have a very broad definition of "single-player". Even Final Fantasy XIV has "single-player" listed, and that's an MMO that requires an online subscription to play:

So rather than looking for games that have single-player listed, you might have to specifically look for games that don't have multi-player, which I can't figure out a way to get a list of using Steam's search function: you can require certain features, but not exclude them, as far as I can see.

ResplendentScorpion

neither glitter, nor substance
Validated User
So rather than looking for games that have single-player listed, you might have to specifically look for games that don't have multi-player, which I can't figure out a way to get a list of using Steam's search feature.
This is good advice - another feature to avoid is Co-Op. Or just use the feature list as a rough filter, and then pick one by one, because avoiding anything with Multiplayer will make you miss such hidden gems as Thea (to pick a random example).

Olof Jönsson

Tumto Lectis
Validated User
Another "fun" thing is when you're playing a Single Player game and the game keeps constantly reminding you you're no longer hooked up to their online server. I KNOW. I'm playing single player. Leave me alone.

DareDaemon

The Daemon who Dares
Validated User
This is why I just block games talking to the Net. Of course I also avoid Steam like the plague, so...
Those two aren't really related. Steam will make no fuss whatsoever if you want to play online. Like, sure it'll disable online features in games that rely on steam's services for their online stuff, and you can't get patches or download games while steam is in offline mode, but that's what offline means.

It's usually games by major studios that tack on their own online stuff, and you'll get that regardless of whether you get the game through steam or some other distribution method.

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
Those two aren't really related. Steam will make no fuss whatsoever if you want to play online. Like, sure it'll disable online features in games that rely on steam's services for their online stuff, and you can't get patches or download games while steam is in offline mode, but that's what offline means.

It's usually games by major studios that tack on their own online stuff, and you'll get that regardless of whether you get the game through steam or some other distribution method.
Its largely that you're more likely to run into games that assume an always-on-line structure with the ones you find on steam than the ones you find elsewhere. And the rest are taken care of by the aforementioned connection-blocking.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
Eh, I mean, I can't talk about hating games with an online component; I used to play more MMOs than I do now and even elsewhere I'm quite happily playing Super Mario Maker 2.

But there is a tendency - and it's not weird, it's all part of the "GAMES AS LIVE SERVICES" model - to put online components even where they aren't remotely needed. Luckily, it's avoidable, especially if you have a taste for indie/non-AAA titles. Stellaris never bugs me if I curse. :p

Top Bottom