• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

The Thread Where We Talk About Borderlands 2 While We Wait For Borderlands 3

Afterburner

Remarkably expressive bandages
RPGnet Member
Validated User
How many folks out there have picked up BL2 again after the BL3 announcement? I know I saw Tanka on last night but couldn't remember how to chat with him.

My last playthrough ended with Axton in the Highlands at level 22. It's been years since then, and I have forgotten everything about the game and what he was doing and where he was going and how I wanted to spec him out. So I started over with Zer0 and am currently chasing the Firehawk in Frostburn Canyon.

I picked Zer0 because I was playing Axton as a sniper mainly, so it seemed like a better match with my preferred playstyle. I definitely tend to loiter back and advance cautiously and kill enemies when they are as far away from me as possible, because I essentially suck at FPS combat when it turns into a close-in brawl.

Goliaths were a suprise. I'd forgotten about those and how they thwart sniping. Fortunately, the Golden Key chest in Sanctuary combined with judicious use of Golden Keys has provided me with a Purple-tier quad-barrel shotgun with a 50% critical hit bonus which seems to stack with my skill-based critical hit bonus from the sniping tree. And then I get another bonus when I use the Decepti0n ability. So the goliaths actually go down pretty easy once they start attacking my dec0y and I sneak up on 'em.

My current aggravation (there are many, but I wouldn't complain if I didn't like the game) is that using my decoy breaks run, and it seems unusually difficult to get back into run mode afterwards.

Hopefully my short attention span will hold out long enough to let me finish this time.

Last edited:

NeoVid

Nerd Rage Never Fades
Validated User
I've decided to replay BL1 after the free remaster is available. It's been a looooong time since I've played it, and even though it wasn't as good overall as BL2, the specific things I liked most in the first game were some of the only things that didn't return in the second. (If you're wondering, those things are Masher revolvers, S&S Munitions weapons and Atlas weapons.)

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
I started playing Maya. My only significant previous runs have been as Gaige, so it's a bit of a trick remembering that phaselock can be used much more often than Deathtrap.

Crimson Carcharodon

Validated User
Originally I played all the Borderlands games on Xbox 360/Xbox One, but only with limited DLC. So with the announcement of BL3, I bought the Handsome Jack collection on Steam. $15 for BL2, Pre-Sequel, PLUS all of the DLC? Yes, please.

BL2 is installing right now. I'm probably going to be playing as Gaige. I've never totally finished the game, but I got furthest with Zer0. I also got a good ways in with Maya and Gaige, but not nearly as far as Zer0. I can't decide which Vault Hunter to play this time, especially since it'll be my first real shooter on a computer rather than console.

I'm leaning toward an elemental-focused Maya. I just love Maliwan SMGs too much, but I typically like to have a decent sniper rifle as a backup. But a robot friend is also really tempting.

Pieta

Very custom
Validated User
I'm really aching for another go, but I don't have the time at the moment. I think I will go for BL1 eventually.

I'm really glad I managed to co-op the BL2 main campaign and Tiny Tina's with a friend recently. That was even more fun than going at it alone. But their impression was "good, but not good enough to play further", and going back to solo's gonna be hard.

Shade the Lost

Validated User
How many folks out there have picked up BL2 again after the BL3 announcement? I know I saw Tanka on last night but couldn't remember how to chat with him.

My last playthrough ended with Axton in the Highlands at level 22. It's been years since then, and I have forgotten everything about the game and what he was doing and where he was going and how I wanted to spec him out. So I started over with Zer0 and am currently chasing the Firehawk in Frostburn Canyon.

I picked Zer0 because I was playing Axton as a sniper mainly, so it seemed like a better match with my preferred playstyle. I definitely to loiter back and advance cautiously and kill enemies when they are as far away from me as possible, because I essentially suck at FPS combat when it turns into a close-in brawl.

Goliaths were a suprise. I'd forgotten about those and how they thwart sniping. Fortunately, the Golden Key chest in Sanctuary combined with judicious use of Golden Keys has provided me with a Purple-tier quad-barrel shotgun with a 50% critical hit bonus which seems to stack with my skill-based critical hit bonus from the sniping tree. And then I get another bonus when I use the Decepti0n ability. So the goliaths actually go down pretty easy once they start attacking my dec0y and I sneak up on 'em.

My current aggravation (there are many, but I wouldn't complain if I didn't like the game) is that using my decoy breaks run, and it seems unusually difficult to get back into run mode afterwards.

Hopefully my short attention span will hold out long enough to let me finish this time.
One thing about Goliaths that you may or may not realize is that their loot improves as they level up by killing stuff. So, like, sniping really can do nice things for you if you have the firepower otherwise on tap. That is, spot the Goliath from a long ways off, and plink his helmet off, then let him rampage around murdering stuff. It may need some playing matador to manager, but they can go all the way up to God-liath, which gets you, iirc, purple loot of the level the goliath is, but that can be tough to reach sometimes, simply due to needing a fair number of enemies. This also works for the ones who have slot machines on their back, too.

Reynard

Validated User
I picked my level 20 Zero game back up and realized I have no idea where I am or what I am doing.

Relatedly, can someone explain the Golden Key thing to me? Is it loot boxes?

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
You know I'm kind of wondering:
Why has BL2 and TPS have been accused of being taken over and pandering to the dreaded SJW?
I mean both games have openly same sex relationships, that are treated like no big deal (like Hammerlock boyfriend, or a female reshearcher in one of the logs) and in the case of TPS (and later Tale) one of those relationship is between a PC and a NPC.

Is beacuse they came out too early to plastered by Gators?

Afterburner

Remarkably expressive bandages
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Relatedly, can someone explain the Golden Key thing to me? Is it loot boxes?
There's a treasure chest in Sanctuary near the Fast Travel station that requires a Golden Key to open. When you open it, the chest will spawn two purple-tier items, either weapons, grenade mods, class mods, or shields. Relics can also spawn once you're level 15 or higher. The items will usually both be the same (i.e. two shotguns, two pistols, two shields, etc) and will be the same level as you are when you open the chest.

Golden keys are obtainable via SHIFT codes. SHIFT codes are free and are released periodically by Gearbox via Facebook or Twitter. There are lots of old SHIFT codes that still work. You can find a list of working codes here: http://orcz.com/Borderlands_2:_Golden_Key. To enter the code, go to the "EXTRAS" section of the main menu when you first launch the game and then select the "SHIFT code" option. You can cut-and-paste the entries to save you some time typing.

Keys are shared between all your characters.

Wookiee Wrangler

Validated User
I never got through the Hammerlock expansion, and my gaming buddies moved on to other things. I should probably go back and play Tiny Tina's AODK even if I just skip out on finishing big game hunt

Top Bottom