• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

The Turku School online

Revontuli

Retired User
Alias said:
If you ask me, this reads a bit like the "Dogme" of RPGs, so it's actually very close to a nutter's rant -- or, in that case, a bunch of nutters' rants. :D
It is very close to that. In fact, the Larper's Vow of Chastity is pretty much modeled after Dogme 95. (And the larp-related Dogma 99, which you can find a link to at the Turku School site.)

Many of the articles are LARP-related, but the Manifesto itself is relevant to all forms of roleplaying.

It's not without good points but, c'mon, where's the "game" part in that?
Some people would say there is no game part in it, it's just roleplaying or roleplay. At least, that's what I was told by some people in the comments to my column Household Name here a few months back. Depends on the definition of a game, I suppose.

The Turku Manifesto was written in 2000, and I put it online mainly for its historical value. See current commentary to this in the Foreword 2003 (and for a longer explanation, Autonomous Identities). There's also the Larp Manifesting article, which details the response the Manifesto got the first time I put it online in 2001.

Vaxalon

Made of gelatinous cubes
Turku Vow of Chastity said:
...I swear to do this in all ways possible to myself, regardless of any concepts of good taste and the convenience of other players.
I do NOT want to game with anyone who subscribes to the Turku school.

EVER. Anyone who plays without regard for the good taste and convenience of the other players is NOT welcome at my table.

Jack Spencer

I don't truck much with this eläytyminen stuff. The goal is to be as far into the character's mind (or up its butt) as possible and this will be a Good Time (tm). But it is perscribing of how to do something, but not what to do. Sort of like telling someone to drive on the right side of the road but not giving them a desination.

The ironically, the author does realise that the experience must go somewhere or else the activity will get boring fast, but puts all of the story control on the GM. It almost sounds like he means for there to be a script of sorts. This "adhereing to the GM's vision" seems at odds with the eläytyminen. So the manifesto is a little schitzo

The irony is that getting into the character's head in this manner is totally unnecessary for the profound Good Time (tm) which is the real goal of the Turku School. The irony is, the closer you are to the character, the less engaging the character is to you. A certain amount of distance it necessary for things to gel properly into the Good Time (tm) everybody is looking for.

Sage Genesis

Two
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I came in with an open mind, willing to give people a chance. So I started to read the manifesto.

The criticized and feared, acclaimed and admired Turku School is here to tell the world what role-playing is, how and why it should be done, and why everybody else is wrong.

This is the VERY FIRST sentence in the manifesto. :eek:

Future Villain Band

Super Moderator
Validated User
Belphanior said:
I came in with an open mind, willing to give people a chance. So I started to read the manifesto.

The criticized and feared, acclaimed and admired Turku School is here to tell the world what role-playing is, how and why it should be done, and why everybody else is wrong.

And that's the element that makes me believe that the whole thing is an elaborate put-on, like HYBRID. I read about Turku -- jeez, years ago -- and I'm convinced that there's some good ideas in it, but that they've buried them under piles and piles of satire, and that those buried good ideas under piles of satire is what propels it into really great satire.

--Eric

flyingmice

Avenging Aerial Rodent
Validated User
As far as I can tell, this Turku School exists to give immersionist roleplayers a bad name. I think the whole thing is secretly funded by the Playing-In-The-Third-Person Illuminati in order to discredit us... :D

The ultra-serious, dogmatic, ruthless language is so... alien to anything I personally think, that I find myself despising those selfish immersionists after a few paragraphs - even though I am one. :O

-mice

Edit: Ah! thanks, Eric! If it's satire, it's brilliant! :D

-mice

Last edited:

Fabrice G.

Validated User
Well, I dig what they're aiming at....

After all, they don't force you to adopt the Turku view of things... You don't HAVE TO agree with them. They put their view on roleplaying, that's it.

After having seen (and paying part of) many groups who only enjoy light hearted, funny gaming, I comprehend what they're aiming at... Who said that rpg cannot be some kind of artform ?

Fabrice, maybe too serious...

Shantak

Nifty Wannabe
Belphanior said:

I once again glanced through my paper version of the Manifest (it was a gift - I'm not into that kind of stuff :eek: ) and it still feels like it's trying to take away all the fun from role-playing. That's what happens when you analyze any activity or hobby too much.

Aegypto

Treelicious
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Eric Brennan said:
And that's the element that makes me believe that the whole thing is an elaborate put-on, like HYBRID. I read about Turku -- jeez, years ago -- and I'm convinced that there's some good ideas in it, but that they've buried them under piles and piles of satire, and that those buried good ideas under piles of satire is what propels it into really great satire.

--Eric
Dunno, last time the Turkus popped up on RPGNet they seemed fairly serious about their manifesto.

Personally, I blame it on that weird mutant pig-duck statue they have over there. Odds are that being exposed to something like on a daily basis may have some funny effects on your psyche.

jdrakeh

Banned
The Turku School of Thought is, I believe, wicked satire. I recall this link popping up here some three or four years ago, and that being the concensus.

[Edit: Eric beat me to it.]

Last edited:
Top Bottom