• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

The Whitehack vs The Black Hack

BrianBloodaxe

Validated User
On the surface, my initial inclination is telling me that I am more a fan of the Black Hack playstyle, but I'm not writing off the Whitehack either. Both appeal to me. The Black Hack makes it easier for me to examine the product prior to purchase.

And for what it's worth, Basic Fantasy RPG looks interesting too. Yeah, I just went there. ;)
I would say that even if you end up running The Black Hack, there will be useful content in Whitehack for you.

(Basic Fantasy is another of my favourites. It's entirely free in pdf too.)

Neaden

Validated User
For me Whitehack has just the amount of rules that I want in a dungeon crawler. The class and group system let's you build any staring character from any Edition of DnD dast if someone wants to play a warforged thief, a gensai knight, or Jeeves and Wooster. The groups provide a quick and functional skill system that builds the world. Finally it's easy to convert any OSR adventures or subsystems to work with it. It's my OSR game of choice.

hive_mind

Have Thought Will Travel
Validated User
You might look at Macchiato Monsters as well. It's still in development, but it's basically a mix of the two aiming for The Black Hack's ease of play with The White Hack's free-ranging world creation. It's got a lot of good stuff in it and I'm really looking forward to the finished product.

LibraryLass

Feminazgûl
Validated User
On the surface, my initial inclination is telling me that I am more a fan of the Black Hack playstyle, but I'm not writing off the Whitehack either. Both appeal to me. The Black Hack makes it easier for me to examine the product prior to purchase.

And for what it's worth, Basic Fantasy RPG looks interesting too. Yeah, I just went there. ;)
Basic Fantasy RPG is definitely my OSR game of choice-- I'll play just abou anything, but BFRPG is just so... comfortable and accessible. It's a beaut.

Vargold

AKA MalteseChangeling
Validated User
You might look at Macchiato Monsters as well. It's still in development, but it's basically a mix of the two aiming for The Black Hack's ease of play with The White Hack's free-ranging world creation. It's got a lot of good stuff in it and I'm really looking forward to the finished product.
This--there's a reason why Macchiato Monster creator Eric Nieudan calls the game "The Gray Hack."

spaceLem

Green haired rodent
Validated User
It's probably worth saying as a fan of Whitehack that Basic Fantasy RPG is my other favourite OSR game. If I'm just after no-nonsense traditional D&D, then BFRPG is where I look.

Chris J

Validated User
It's mainly a difference in scale.

The Black Hack is for dungeon-delving, particularly casual pick-up play. It's designed to get players into that dungeon as quickly as possible, and to give the GM quick tools to run that dungeon right now. Grab any old-school adventure and you can run it on-the-fly with no prep.
Bummer. I was hoping TBH would cater to both dungeon delving and wilderness exploration.

Do we know if TBH 2nd edition caters more toward this?

Top Bottom