the window and L5R

N

NPC Mark

I just stumbled apon this sweet little free game ad thought that id let you know cause lots of people here seem to be into the rules lite, " it's all about the roleplaying" type games. Also if anyones used it, does it work good? I like the way its presented, looks fun. www.mimgames.com/window/

On a completely unrelated topic, could some tell me how to make an adventuring group in L5R plausible? it just dosnt seem to me like samuria from all these differant clans would hang out together especially with all the contention going on between some of them. The only way i could see it is if every game was a ultimate evil, epic quest thing where the head honchos of the clans put people together to go do something special and because of some prophecy its has to be samuria form differant clans. I can only see a band of ronin type game working other wise.

Gleaming Terrier

Coyotes in the Attic
Validated User
Plenty of ways

I don't know about the Window, but I know a bit about L5R. There are lots of ways to have character from many clans together, even warring clans. The books suggest many, but here are a few:

The Magistrate campaign - This is described as "Tried and true." The characters are all Imperial Magistrates, serving the Emperor above all else, even their clan. Any character can be a magistrate, from any clan, and this gives even the most ardent rivals reason to put aside their hate and work together, duty to the Empire.

Childhood friends - Maybe a samurai was a hostage to one family, and grew close to them, when he was a child. Hostage-taking is a fairly common and accepted practice in Rokugan. Doji Kuwanan grew up among the Lion, despite being a Crane, and respected them, IIRC.

False pretenses - This works best for Scorpion and ninja, but can be stretched to accomodate others. Perhaps one member of the adventuring party is out of place, but the others don't know it. Maybe a Scorpion Butei is traveling with a group of Crab, under the guise of a Crab. They've been ordered by their daimyo to do this and to help the group, until they're ordered otherwise. The Scorpion plan ahead, and it may be YEARS until the intruder is ordered to reveal himself.

These are just some of the more basic ones. I know there are plenty more that someone more creative than me can list.

Turbo

Go Play Ninja Fox
Validated User
1) Alliances can be used if the story if your game can accomodate it. Two of the PCs are part of Clan X and Y's attempts to build trust, or continue in good faith

2) Mutual respect can be forged if two or more of your characters are forced to fight side by side against a common enemy, and can often become fast friends. I had a Wasp character earn the respect and friendship of a Scorpion character, even. Often, the players will impress you with their recognition of the fact that there should be a reason for their characters to work together.

3) As has been said before, the Magistrate Method will work for the vast majority of characters if used right. A character can get an appointment as a magistrate for any number of reasons, and not all of the appointments given are given due to merit, some are punishments in the eyes of some clans. (Being a Magistrate attache to Ryoko Owari would be viewed as punishment for almost all Crab, Crane, and Lion)

Mytholder

GAMMA Clearance
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've never seen why people want "adventuring groups" in L5R. It's like wanting a party of a Vampire, a Werewolf, a Mage, a Wraith, a Mummy and a Hunter in a World of Darkness game. Pick two or three clans at most, and have the vast majority of the PCs come from those clans. It works much better. L5R is all about your place in society. If you've got PCs from multiple clans, at least some of them are going to be almost completely cut off from their families and societal ties.

Or else, just go with the Magistrate campaign.

N

NPC Mark

Well see Mithras thats what I'm talking about. I wouldnt want a group if that was the case cause it dosnt make sense to leave your other duties to your lord/family whatever. I'm curious as to how the designers where thinking it would all go together.

S

Seanchai

NPC Mark said:
I just stumbled apon this sweet little free game ad thought that id let you know cause lots of people here seem to be into the rules lite, " it's all about the roleplaying" type games. Also if anyones used it, does it work good? I like the way its presented, looks fun. www.mimgames.com/window/
I've used it a number of times now for what we call Crucible games. I like it and so do my players. It's easy to learn, easily accessible, and free. Last time we used it, I forgot to bring a copy but didn't need to as it's very simple.

It's system of "Just just whatever attribute dice and skills you think fit" is a bit of a curve ball for players used to mechicanical limits.

Also, it's granular. It jumps from d20 to d12.

And players seem to want to play above average characters because of how the dice are set up.

And combat is not nearly as detailed in The Window as in some other systems.

But I like it.

Seanchai

Top Bottom