• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

The XKCD Unpopular Positive Opinion Challenge

Vorpeseda

Floof
Validated User
First thing that springs to mind is Ultraviolet, which has an audience score of 30%, and a site rating of 9%.

I liked a lot of the visuals, and the way some of the gadgets and weapons worked, such as the gravity manipulation and pocket dimension stuff.

I even tracked down the anime sequel, Ultraviolet Code 044.

Eric the .5b

It's all so esoteric
Validated User
It's about "I bet you don't like as many unpopular movies as you think"
Huh? Not many people go around saying anything like that, and the few who do are people who can talk about a list of weird-ass b-movies a mile long.

The point of the comic is the straight reversal it says it is.

BcAugust54

Validated User
First thing that springs to mind is Ultraviolet, which has an audience score of 30%, and a site rating of 9%.

I liked a lot of the visuals, and the way some of the gadgets and weapons worked, such as the gravity manipulation and pocket dimension stuff.

I even tracked down the anime sequel, Ultraviolet Code 044.
Ooooh, I never knew they did a sequel. I argued for that movie here for a few threads when it came out, it's a neat little world and I liked the villain.

Vorpeseda

Floof
Validated User
Ooooh, I never knew they did a sequel. I argued for that movie here for a few threads when it came out, it's a neat little world and I liked the villain.
The film was very anime-inspired to begin with, so it makes sense to do an anime sequel. It only saw a single season that aired in Japan, and was pretty obscure to find. Apparently it has seen a few re-releases, so it might be easier to find now.

Tom B

Validated User
Ah, I just remembered one that definitely qualifies. It rates about 18%....but I actually enjoyed it. Probably due to the steampunk feel... 'Mutant Chronicles'...:D

Azimer the Mad

Knight of Chaos
Validated User
My enjoyment of The Core jumped a full one and a half letter grades when I realized Stanley Tucci was parodying the hell out of Carl Sagan the entire time.

fifth_child

The devil in these details
Validated User
For me, there's a big difference depending on how I set the bar for "like." There's quite a few movies that I thought were decent that have bad ratings, many of which others have brought up in this thread. But I decided that it would be more interesting if I limited myself only to movies that I actually deeply enjoy -- and that made it pretty tough. It took a great deal of searching, but I found it:

The Lady In the Water: 25% critics rating, 49% audience rating. I thought it was a fantastic modern-day fairy tale, and a lot of the criticism felt to me like it was missing the point rather badly -- for example, one of the common complaints went along the lines of "So all of the residents' weird quirks just happen to be precisely the skills needed in order to solve the plot's problems? But that's ridiculously contrived and silly!" when that is exactly how fairy tales are commonly structured. I like The Lady In the Water in basically the same way and for the same reasons that I like Naomi Novik's novels Uprooted and Spinning Silver, and those books each won a pile of awards and are well-regarded among the fantasy literature crowd! I genuinely think the critics didn't give this film a fair shake, probably because of how bad a train wreck The Village was.

SunlessNick

Mildly Darkened One
Validated User
I thought it was a fantastic modern-day fairy tale, and a lot of the criticism felt to me like it was missing the point rather badly
For one thing, the assumption that a Shyamalan film axiomatically had to have a plot twist, and tring to figure out which event was the twist so they could say how bad it was, instead of admitting that maybe this film didn't have one. It was also interesting to see a story where everyone takes the sudden intrusion of magic in their stride.

Grumpygoat

Give a damn
Validated User
A movie doesn't score 25% because critics "missed the point." When it's that low, they just plain didn't like it. Part of that is because the movie is a not-so-thinly veiled attack on movie critics, with another part coming from Shyamalan's self-insert narcissism. That and it's just a deeply flawed movie.

Top Bottom