• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

The XKCD Unpopular Positive Opinion Challenge

yalborap

Well, that’s just Prime.
Validated User
Wait, Atlantis qualifies?
...HOW?
I think it’s another one of those “critics wanted X from the people involved, got Y” situations. It seems to really hurt movies, especially from that era, when they step out of their expected lane.

Tom B

Validated User
Jupiter Ascending
Final Fantasy: The Spirit Within

Yep, I'm good. Enjoyed both of those, especially Jupiter Ascending.

Bruce Redux

Not flying or biting
Validated User
Nuts to all you jerks, Van Helsing is all kinds of entertaining.
So much so.

Let's see...The Mummy Returns, from 2001...47% critics, ah, but 63% viewers. Good going, viewers.

Gothika, 2003, 14% with critics, 45% with viewers. Sure, it's not epic - it's no Mike Flanagan movie - but it is quite solid and well done, with a lot of good performances.

Tyrmatfrage

Validated User
I loved The Hitman's Bodyguard and am kinda befuddled with what the critics were expecting from it - it's a Ryan Reynolds-Samuel Jackson buddy action movie and you get exactly what you'd expect to get from that

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Okay, here's one... Hoodwinked (2005), scores at 47% and is, oddly, the best performance of Andy Dick's career. A low bar, but.
I really enjoyed that one too, as a well-executed Rashomon exercise.

As far as animated movies go, I also enjoyed The Nut Job ; because I just love heist movies in general.

And wait, one of the rare anime movies on that list is Redline ? That thing is awesomesauce !

Also count me among those that found Suicide Squad fun. It had a perfect Captain Boomerang, and nailed the Wall.

(There are a few more that I vaguely recall enjoying, but not to the point of cheerleading them : Pacific Rim Uprising, Venom...)

Doing this with MyAnimeList doesn't quite work, because barely any of the database is ranked below a 5.0/10 score (about the last 500 out of 11000), and it's mostly random arthouse short movies, music videos, and a few token old and very bad OVAs. That said, Peace Eco Smile really doesn't belong there ; it's a nice and sweet set of adverts.

Top Bottom