• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Crowqueen

Corvus Sapiens
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Just to catalogue what our group does, it's more Dungeon Crawl and Demons for the most part, with the occasional realisation that somehow Paladins and Princesses and Explorers and Excursions come into play. I've played 2e and 3.5e/PF, so can't comment on 4e, but I did once run a session where there was no dice rolled at all; I think as long as you have a well-written adventure or can keep free-form role-playing going, then there's no need to agonise over any specific system.

I play with some very keen wargamers and always tailor any game I run to their tastes; when I did 2e a while ago before I went back to uni I found they took the system much more seriously than I did when I played/ran games in the 1990s. We're doing 2e again in a few months (not me running it though), after switching from 3.5e to Pathfinder. Another group I play with are very much board-gamers; the monsters seem to know when it's ten o'clock and like Cinderella fear they are going to turn into pumpkins, so they disappear. It's a bit more Misfits and Mayhem - it's really a social thing (we eat Chinese beforehand so most of us are full of food and on the verge of sleep) rather than any serious gaming, although there are a couple of serious gamers there.

Siberys

Validated User
I hope this doesn't qualify as thread necromancy, but I just found the thread.

I'd argue that Eberron isn't /actually/ an S&S setting, despite being published in that era; it's too "pulpy" and loose for that to work, in my mind. If I had to classify it, it's more W&W with a touch of G&G, but that may be my personal preferences edging in there. If you're primary metric is "Lots of magic", though, I guess I really can't argue.

I like the classification groupings, though.

Pedantic

Idealist
Validated User
I hope this doesn't qualify as thread necromancy, but I just found the thread.

I'd argue that Eberron isn't /actually/ an S&S setting, despite being published in that era; it's too "pulpy" and loose for that to work, in my mind. If I had to classify it, it's more W&W with a touch of G&G, but that may be my personal preferences edging in there. If you're primary metric is "Lots of magic", though, I guess I really can't argue.

I like the classification groupings, though.
Eberron is full of pulpy elements and could definitely be played in a style appropriate to those groupings, but the major S&S element is the attempt to build a whole economic system with modern creature comforts out of the application of low level 3e spells.

Armchair Gamer

Eberron is full of pulpy elements and could definitely be played in a style appropriate to those groupings, but the major S&S element is the attempt to build a whole economic system with modern creature comforts out of the application of low level 3e spells.
That's what I had in mind, although in the interests of clarity, I tend to abbreviate it now as Sp&Si. :) But very few settings are all one flavor--Greyhawk, for example, can be played as K&K, DC&D and/or "Holdings & Hirelings" or whatever we settled on for name-level politics/domain rulership play. Mystara, similarly, can be done as DC&D, G&G, and/or P&P. And Dragonlance looks like pure P&P and feels like it if you stick with the game material--but the Weis & Hickman novels go in a very "Misfits & Mayhem" (an expansion/revision of W&W, with emphasis on the greater cynicism and scruffiness in comparison with P&P) direction.

Pedantic

Idealist
Validated User
That's what I had in mind, although in the interests of clarity, I tend to abbreviate it now as Sp&Si. :) But very few settings are all one flavor--Greyhawk, for example, can be played as K&K, DC&D and/or "Holdings & Hirelings" or whatever we settled on for name-level politics/domain rulership play. Mystara, similarly, can be done as DC&D, G&G, and/or P&P. And Dragonlance looks like pure P&P and feels like it if you stick with the game material--but the Weis & Hickman novels go in a very "Misfits & Mayhem" (an expansion/revision of W&W, with emphasis on the greater cynicism and scruffiness in comparison with P&P) direction.
This thread needs some charts. I'm seeing elaborate Venn diagrams in my head. :p

Last edited:

Crowqueen

Corvus Sapiens
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Oh, our current Dragonlance game, set on Taladas, is Misfits and Mayhem to its core. However, it's the same gamers whose monsters have Cinderella Syndrome, so every game is Mi&Ma.

I want to run the Dragonlance Adventures, see what happens to Krynn when they're done. I suspect it will be in the same state as it was after the Cataclysm...

Thanos6

Desperately Seeking Apotheosis
Validated User
The funny thing is, I've only ever actually played in one D&D campaign, thanks to Available Free Time and Available Other Players never meeting on my personal graph. :( The one I did play was a low-level campaign, sort of straddling between P&P and M&M.

But I love reading the rulebooks and sourcebooks and all that, and if I ever got to play in my dream campaign, it'd start out P&P with dashes of Dc&D and eventually flow naturally into Gd&G, with touches of C&C sprinkled throughout. Oh, and a great big dose of Si&Sp, in that I like my worlds to be "real" and I like magic to reign supreme. :)

Top Bottom