• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

They Live - alternative interpretation

Nerik the Red

Validated User
An idea that occurred to me during a conversation in my last game session:

In the movie The Live, what is the sunglasses don't show the world as it really is, instead they were a prototype 'real life ad-blocker' with a couple of "minor" flaws. :D

Spoiler: Show
They occasionally glitch when viewing people, and can exacerbate existing psychological conditions,, such as paranoia

Yes, I'm not sure this hold together, it's been a while since I last watched the movie, but it amused me.

Last edited:

Menocchio

Eccentric Thousandaire
Validated User
Well, that just reverses the original premise:
"What if those kooky conspiracy nuts are right?"
"Nope, they just drove themselves insane with bad tech."

Of course, the aliens do teleport, and are revealed worldwide after their machine gets destroyed, so we'd have to go with the hated "it was all a dream" explanation.

Davies

Validated User
An idea that occurred to me during a conversation in my last game session:

In the movie The Live, what is the sunglasses don't show the world as it really is, instead they were a prototype 'real life ad-blocker' with a couple of "minor" flaws. :D

They occasionally glitch when viewing people, and can exacerbate existing psychological conditions,, such as paranoia

Yes, I'm not sure this hold together, it's been a while since I last watched the movie, but it amused me.
It really doesn't hold together.

And also cause people to see dollar bills as black rectangles with the words "This is your god" on them?

Last edited:

Tumbleweed

Supporting Cast!
Validated User
Then what about the invisible spybots? Or would that be just part of the paranoia too?

Incidentally, I just caught a midnight showing of They Live a few days ago, and damn that movie holds up well. The premise is terrifying, even if the movie is goofy as all shit. It should be required viewing for anyone running a Hunter: The Vigil game. :)

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Then what about the invisible spybots? Or would that be just part of the paranoia too?

Incidentally, I just caught a midnight showing of They Live a few days ago, and damn that movie holds up well. The premise is terrifying, even if the movie is goofy as all shit. It should be required viewing for anyone running a Hunter: The Vigil game. :)
Isn't it better for H:tR?
I man th basic premise of Reckoning is that an otuside force allowed you the seen the world as it is, including the monster who prey on and manipulate humanity, and playing how your character reacts to this.

Tumbleweed

Supporting Cast!
Validated User
Isn't it better for H:tR?
I man th basic premise of Reckoning is that an otuside force allowed you the seen the world as it is, including the monster who prey on and manipulate humanity, and playing how your character reacts to this.
Hmm, point. I just like Vigil a lot, LOT better than Reckoning. Let's just say it's good for Hunter/WoD games in general. :)

Nerik the Red

Validated User
It really doesn't hold together.

And also cause people to see dollar bills as black rectangles with the words "This is your god" on them?
Yeh, forgot about those.

My thought process was - wouldn't it be nice if we modded Google Glass (or similar) or overwrite adverts, then I though heyyyy.... They Live.

Davies

Validated User
Yeh, forgot about those.

My thought process was - wouldn't it be nice if we modded Google Glass (or similar) or overwrite adverts, then I though heyyyy.... They Live.
It's not a bad idea for an updated version of it, or possibly having that explanation presented as a 'this is what's going on' explanation within it, but the borderline gnostic feel of the milieu practically demands that this be nothing more than an attempt to restore the illusion.

JohnBiles

Validated User
Here's my take on an alternate take:

The world of They Live is an early version of the Matrix. The 'aliens' are what will eventually become the Mr. Smiths. The glasses are a glitch in the system which isn't programmed properly to hide the efforts to manipulate the population with subliminal messages and to hide the agents of the machines.

This was one of the past experiments mentioned in the movies that ended horribly and then they had to reboot reality.

KaijuGooGoo

Not Woke until I’ve had my Coffee
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"They" haven't really replaced all the currency, magazines, etc.; their tech just triggers a general "apathy/consumption/ignore us" response in the human brain. What the glasses do is actually concentrate the signal, to the point where the brain no longer processes it subliminally, and instead breaks it out visually as manifestations in the environment. While the signal makes the regular person more focused on money, when you're wearing the glasses that urge manifests as "This Is Your God" appearing on the bill, moving it from your subconscious to your visual cortex. It does overcome their cloaking/disguise effects, though.

Top Bottom