• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Suicide_King

Validated User
I have one player who annoys me in this way - no matter what game we are playing, his pitch is always "Batman, but in space", "Batman, but with an axe", or "Batman, but with a bow". It is creatively bankrupt, devoid of variation or any kind of understanding of the genre we are playing. Fuck, I ran a game where people were drafted convicts serving as space marines, where they all had to have committed a real, but not unforgiveable crime, and he still gave me batman.

and I can't do much about it. I've just accepted it by now - I get my kicks in one way - interesting situations, messing about with genres, etc... and he wants to play batman in different situations and settings, even ones where batman makes no thematic sense whatsoever.

It annoys me, but he gets his kicks, I get mine. I am certainly not even going to imply that he is in any way obligated to play something other than batman, if that is his sole reason for playing rpgs, even if the consequence is that my awesome idea of "Arthurian Knights in Spaaaaaaaace with Mordred as the Good Guy, Only with the Twist that he might not actually be, also there's aliens" never gets played. Then again, I live in a Copenhagen, I can just lean out the window and toss a rock in a random direction and likely hit a roleplayer in the back of the head.

Gentleman Ranker

Validated User
1) How long is pizza world?

Oh Okay I can deal with that.

2) How long is pizza world?

Okay well I'll give it a go but it's not really my cup of tea. I'll let you know if I'm not feeling it after a couple of sessions and we can talk again.

3) How long is pizza world?

Ah, I really don't want to commit to something that far out of my comfort zone if it's going to be all decade. Maybe you could advertise for more players at FLGS if you still wanted to go ahead. Hope it goes well!

GR

Lenin

Tolerant Ent
Validated User
Then again, I live in a Copenhagen, I can just lean out the window and toss a rock in a random direction and likely hit a roleplayer in the back of the head.
"RPG.net does not condone the practice of recruiting players by hitting them with a rock."

Lenin

Tolerant Ent
Validated User
So in Lenin's example, its not 'ruin your friend's fun by not playing, but instead 'ruin your friend's fun by playing, but playing in a ruinous way.'
Not even a friend, really, just a guy who joined in the gaming shop's after hours session, like most of the rest of us. Maybe we would have noticed the warning signs a bit earlier if we'd known him better. Thing is, though, if he just wanted to hit things, there was a D&D game at the next table, all he had to do was get there early enough to bump another player. And maybe we would have gotten a player who didn't want to just hit things for a session.

Skaorn

Validated User
Is it really the single player's fault if there are not enough other players in the group?
When is this magical time? If you have one person interested in running a game and one person who is willing to play, you can run a game. One of my favorite DnD modules published by TSR was a one on one game where you played a Thief trying to break into a Wizard's tower.

I am not talking about someone who is not interested in playing a game they don't like, but someone who is actively trying to force others to play the game they want buy refusing to compromise at all and apparently values their own enjoyment far more than the other people at the table. When is this type of behavior good for any type of relationship? If you decide you want to be a vegan, you need to research restaurants that serve vegan food. You don't go into a smokehouse and demand they start serving vegan food.

Skaorn

Validated User
It doesn't ignore it; it just notes there can be cases where the player is not deliberately blocking the game, but does so in practice anyway. Which is exactly what I said in my first response on the subject.
I've seen what you've been writing but I don't buy this idea that the loss of one player will prevent a group from playing a game that everyone else wants to play. It seems like you are trying to push this idea that people should put up with someone trying to hold the game hostage because, if they leave, your game will fail (despite having people who still want to play).

Mike McCall

Validated User
Man, all Strange Visitor is saying is that if a game is going to not happen because Player A doesn't play, and Player A doesn't want to play, then if Player A doesn't play and the game folds (which happens ALL THE DAMN TIME, regardless of your assertions), it's not Player A's fault that the game folded.

Cerulean Lion

Social Justice Christian
Validated User
I have spent much time, over numerous years, running games for a single player. The lack of other players in no way decreased our enjoyment.

Mike McCall

Validated User
I have spent much time, over numerous years, running games for a single player. The lack of other players in no way decreased our enjoyment.
And I have tried repeatedly to run games for single players, and it has always ended in frustration. In addition to that, I have campaign concepts which don't work with less than 3 people, or which don't work with more than 4.

Ice9

Still Frozen
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Obviously YMMV, but I've found that narrative games often stall with too few players. Something like Fate or PbtA pretty much requires a flow of new ideas being generated, so if everyone gets mental block at once, you're in for a boring time. And with only 1-2 players, it's easy for that to happen.

Some games are built around a team mechanically - I don't think that D&D 4e would play well with only a single PC. Although TBF, a single player could run a full party, if they were up for the complexity.

Top Bottom