• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

ESkemp

Validated User
I knew a guy who’d often name his wizards after Middle Eastern cities. Kirkuk, Tehran...
My brother'll do that with all sorts of cities. Mosul, Oslo, Trebizond, Turin... most of the time the other players never even noticed.

Reynard

Validated User
Not to necro the thread but one thing that has been happening lately that really bugs me: players that seem to think they are playing a single player game when they are creating their character, think up backstory, etc... There are other players, including the GM. You need to interact with them when creating a member of the group.

Fiyero

Man your own jackhammer!!
Validated User
Not to necro the thread but one thing that has been happening lately that really bugs me: players that seem to think they are playing a single player game when they are creating their character, think up backstory, etc... There are other players, including the GM. You need to interact with them when creating a member of the group.
I'll help necro

But this is sort of what has happened for my current game. We are only 2 sessions in so it is too soon to say how much of an issue it will be.

Anyway

Said player says they have tons of a free time so I send over materials and such to help them get started on familiarizing themselves with the setting and systems. Get to character creation and is is clear they have only glanced at one portion of 1 page in 1 of the books and documents sent over to them. All the have and all the repeat when repeatedly prodded for how their characters backstory prior to joining up with the rest of the player characters is just their race.

"So did you think of a backstory?"
"I am a lizardman"
"Alright. So what were they doing before becoming a merc?"
"I don't know. I am a suave lizardman"

And that would go on with even other players chiming in and trying to help them out flesh out their character a bit and how they joined the team. Essentially the backstory and how they came to join the team was done by other players and the problem player would just go "Okay, sounds cool."

Another issue that was caused by them doing as little as possible when putting their character together was them asking him what their (total of 3) spells did each time they used them. They never really read over them and just chose them for the names and if they met the requirements. We're using Savage Worlds if that helps make things more understandable.

Shade the Lost

Validated User
Honestly, that one isn't (totally) on the player(s,) as for a long time, especially in some games (D&D, for example,) group chargen and interwoven backstories were exceptionally weird. Far more common was to have everyone show up with characters and figure out how they're going to get along (or not) once play began.

edit - though for Fiyero's case, that sounds like a player doing the bare minimum and isn't really interested in engaging with the game or the system. I'd probably advise not to make any major arcs revolve around them for a good while until you're sure they'll stick around/engage with such a thing.

Fiyero

Man your own jackhammer!!
Validated User
Honestly, that one isn't (totally) on the player(s,) as for a long time, especially in some games (D&D, for example,) group chargen and interwoven backstories were exceptionally weird. Far more common was to have everyone show up with characters and figure out how they're going to get along (or not) once play began.

edit - though for Fiyero's case, that sounds like a player doing the bare minimum and isn't really interested in engaging with the game or the system. I'd probably advise not to make any major arcs revolve around them for a good while until you're sure they'll stick around/engage with such a thing.
I agree. I am playing it by ear at the moment. There were other red flags that I got from the player, but so far the first session went off well as everyone seemed to enjoy it and it went off without a hitch.

And to reflect a bit more I think their effort or lack thereof might also just be how they have experienced games in the past. They haven't had a chance to I guess really dive into games before and therefore this is what they view as the amount of effort they should be putting in. Chalk it up to just mixed expectations could also be an issue. Which is why I am big fan of session 0's though the player was not able to attend it

Reynard

Validated User
Sure. In 1985. But this is not a con game or a store game. This is a game where all the players have played together, in some cases for a couple decades. But despite having a dedicated Discord server and Facebook group, despite having created time for a dedicated session 0, despite having directly suggested folks talk to one another about building a party that not only covers the adventuring roles but also has connections between the characters and shared goals, there are still players that do everything in isolation. It's vexing. hence "peeve."

Top Bottom