• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[This Week's Rant] Too Many Mechanisms

Anatosuchus

Definitely not the Antichrist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Well, on the plus side I think I've managed to get mechanisms in place to handle many tests and mechanics they way I want them. On the minus side I'm using at least three different die mechanics to get there. Blah.
  • Skill + Attribute ±d6. Handles high-ish volality rolls nicely for skills, especially in combat.
  • Success-based d10 die pool. Good for areas where you need a resource pool to allocate to various things.
  • Additive d6 die pool. Handy when you apply a cumulative effect.
I think I'm going to have to do some rationalisation on at least one of these. Probably try to swing the additive pool into some kind of success-based option.

CWalck93

Doom Priest of Peace and Happiness
Validated User
If it was the same type of mechanic (add, success pool, etc) I would be okay with it. But 3 mechanics with 2 different styles of pools? Too much for my blood.

I have two systems for my game (d20 +/- modifier die and d6 dice pool which is only used for damage) and it sort of grates on me that I have 2.

Anatosuchus

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Definitely going to have to find a way drop the d6 additive I think and probably go to a success pool. Might move the success pools to d12s for fun, too, although that might start getting worryingly close to The Riddle of Steel!

CWalck93

Doom Priest of Peace and Happiness
Validated User
I wouldn't worry about systems and what you might be 'copying'. I mean, I'm using an idea first started with Alternity 1.0 and I'm not worried. There are honestly very few unique systems in existence.

I would just be wary about having multiple systems for multiple things and then landing up with a system for each sub-rule set that you've come up with.

Anatosuchus

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Agreed, I'm not really bothered by having similar mechanics at this stage in the hobby.

SignoreDellaGuerra

Audii alteram partem
Validated User
I've never been sold to a game based on the dice mechanics.
A lot of effort goes into these but, to be honest, how you use these mechanics is more important to me.

I still remember the horror when I saw the WFRP 3rd system:all those bits and cool dice. A monster.

What I'm saying, is: don't worry too much in having a cool dice mechanic; concentrate on the meat of the game ;)

ThornyJohn

Validated User
I have two systems for my game (d20 +/- modifier die and d6 dice pool which is only used for damage) and it sort of grates on me that I have 2.
I'm personally perfectly fine with these two systems you have. After all, it's basically D&D's mechanic while only rolling d6s for damage, so it's even simpler than good ol' D&D, which prefers to "roll all the dice" when it comes to damage. The fact that — other than swapping out the d20 for 2d6 — this is basically my own system's current dice mechanic doesn't color my preferential perception of it in any way. :whistle:

Alban

Validated User
To avoid this kind of situation, I start by designing a single base task mechanism, then build everything on it, starting with few base systems (opposed rolls, extended roll, opposed extended rolls).

Anatosuchus

RPGnet Member
Validated User
To avoid this kind of situation, I start by designing a single base task mechanism, then build everything on it, starting with few base systems (opposed rolls, extended roll, opposed extended rolls).
That's all very well if you can get the feel/results you want out of one mechanism. I liken it to having the right tools for any job - I can cut a piece of wood using a bow saw, a tenon saw, a hand saw, a chainsaw or even a hacksaw* but I need to match the tool to the wood and the result I want to get the best outcome.

* :oops:

PeteNutButter

Validated User
That's all very well if you can get the feel/results you want out of one mechanism. I liken it to having the right tools for any job - I can cut a piece of wood using a bow saw, a tenon saw, a hand saw, a chainsaw or even a hacksaw* but I need to match the tool to the wood and the result I want to get the best outcome.

* :oops:
Couldn't you replicate the desired math by altering an existing mechanic? So for instance instead of using the +/- d6 mechanic for skills use dice pools again with more or less dice to get to roughly the same area. At the end of the day it is only average success rate and standard deviation that matter. Or is there something else there I'm missing?

I get the feeling though. People have a tendency for wanting everything to be matchy matchy. I'm annoyed with myself for putting d3s in my d6 system.

Top Bottom